2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Important info will be posted here

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 4:25 pm

val wrote:I can show you how to do it. You need to set a right-side border on the message div, and then set the margin negative on the avatar list, so that the avatar part floats on top of the border. It sounds hard, but it's not hard once you get the hang of it. Also, are you sure the rounded corners are images? You should be able to accomplish the corners by simply changing the backcolor color, as needed. Perhaps, I'm not understanding your issue. What images need to be changed for the avatar part? Gifs are transparent too.


Are you talking about the line that separated the profile and topic? Yeah that I can do no prob. If it is the profile background colour, I'm working on that right now.

The images I was referring to all images that are round and such (like the rounded corners). To make the circler look more clean, you have to use anti-aliasing. But to do that it means blending the colour (in here the blue) with the BG colour (in this case the white). So if I change the BG colour I will have to re-do the images. Even with GIF transparency, there will be fine line of the blended colour on the circle. The ideal way around this so is to use PNG as it has alpha transparency. So that I can change colours without problem as they are blended on the fly. The problem is IE doesn't support the alpha transparency. The other ideal way is CSS3 which have rounded corner features but that is not out yet.

I'm testing out the stuff in Firebug (which also me to change CSS on the fly).
User avatar
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: July 13th, 2005, 8:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Gender: Male

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 4:28 pm

Never mind about my question. You are using images for corners. You don't have to do that though.

See the corners on this site:
http://www.anichara.com/

That's done purely through CSS with color and margin. so no images to change. I can show you how to do it if you want to know. You should simply need to change the image code with a div and add CSS to set the margins & your two colors. It uses three colors, and one of the three is for aliasing. It looks just like image corners too.
val
 
Posts: 2422
Joined: January 2nd, 2006, 2:14 pm
Location: TOKYO 55!

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 4:30 pm

val wrote:Never mind about my question. You are using images for corners. You don't have to do that though.

See the corners on this site:
http://www.anichara.com/

That's done purely through CSS with color and margin. so no images to change. I can show you how to do it if you want to know. You should simply need to change the image code with a div and add CSS to set the margins & your two colors. It uses three colors, and one of the three is for aliasing. It looks just like image corners too.


Ah I know that CSS trick. Unfortunately the style was done with images. I can do that method but will required me to do a lot of changes to template.
User avatar
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: July 13th, 2005, 8:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Gender: Male

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 4:41 pm

I'm using firebug too. You are using PNG, not Gif, for the corners, but either way, no one is going to look for how smooth your corners are... nothing is perfect.

I used Firebug to build the page, and then looked at it in IE to see absolutely nothing on the page. I would fix it for IE, and Firefox would break. Then there's Opera who has their own standards.

I was referring to the border on the avatar list that's white. I was saying it should be darker. However, to change the background, I suggested a border on the post Div so that the background color of the avatar area spans top to bottom with the post DIV.
val
 
Posts: 2422
Joined: January 2nd, 2006, 2:14 pm
Location: TOKYO 55!

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 5:11 pm

Never mind. The border idea on the avatar area won't work without major adjustments to the overall layout because there are currently no fixed widths. To set the border, you would need to set a fixed width on the avatar area, and that's where you'll run into a nightmare with browsers obeying the box model, especially when you start flipping things around and your main content is set to a percentage. Currently, everything is set to a percentage so it's best to keep it that way. For the avatar section to be different without using borders, you can set the BG in the post container DIV and let the avatar section be transparent or the same color, and then set another BG for the post section if you want the color to span top to bottom.

Or, perhaps a darker border on the message box, nor the avatar list, might be good to set the sections apart, so they're not running into one another.
Last edited by val on June 25th, 2007, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
val
 
Posts: 2422
Joined: January 2nd, 2006, 2:14 pm
Location: TOKYO 55!

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 5:13 pm

Gender icons have been added. So everyone please put in your gender in the profile :)
User avatar
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: July 13th, 2005, 8:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Gender: Male

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 5:15 pm

It is using PNG but for IE it falls back to GIF (there is a separate stylesheet for IE hacks).

I have an idea for the background of profile. Will take some time to put in.
User avatar
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: July 13th, 2005, 8:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Gender: Male

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 5:16 pm

Firestorm ZERO wrote:Gender icons have been added. So everyone please put in your gender in the profile :)


I prefer to keep people guessing or confused. Can we set our own gender?
val
 
Posts: 2422
Joined: January 2nd, 2006, 2:14 pm
Location: TOKYO 55!

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 5:47 pm

val wrote:
Firestorm ZERO wrote:Gender icons have been added. So everyone please put in your gender in the profile :)


I prefer to keep people guessing or confused. Can we set our own gender?


You are free to set or not set. If you want I can add some genders LOL.
User avatar
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: July 13th, 2005, 8:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Gender: Male

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Firestorm ZERO wrote:You are free to set or not set. If you want I can add some genders LOL.


Kool! :)

* * * * * * * *

I think I got distracted earlier, so back to my original suggestion about making the posts easier on the eyes. I was trying to show you how the phpbb site had a dark border on the left and right of the web site. Your page doesn't have edges to balance it and as a result, the light colors are really bright and run together.

I'm not good at explaining myself, so here's my suggestion:
Code: Select all
body {                     /*style.php (line 28)*/
background-color:#FFFFFF;
color:#708090;
font-family:Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;
font-size:12px;
margin:0 10px;
padding:0;
}
* html  body { margin:0 10px; padding:0; }
#wrap {                     /*style.php (line 116)*/
background-color:#FFFFFF;
min-width:650px;
margin: 0 auto;
padding:5px 10px;
}
* html  #wrap { margin: 0 auto; padding:5px 10px; }

html, body {
   /*style.php (line 2627) I assume there's a reason the bg changes this far down, so I changed it here only */
background:#708090 none repeat scroll 0%;
color:#708090;
}


This is what I was trying to originally post. I also suggested making the left border on the avatar definition list the same dark color as the body tag.

Code: Select all
.postprofile {         /*style.php (line 3211)*/
border-left-color:#708090;
color:#666666;
}


It's just a suggestion. Honestly, other than the brightness, I like the new design. It just needs to be balanced for easier reading.
val
 
Posts: 2422
Joined: January 2nd, 2006, 2:14 pm
Location: TOKYO 55!

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Benny_26 » June 25th, 2007, 9:13 pm

Firestorm ZERO wrote:
val wrote:
Firestorm ZERO wrote:Gender icons have been added. So everyone please put in your gender in the profile :)


I prefer to keep people guessing or confused. Can we set our own gender?


You are free to set or not set. If you want I can add some genders LOL.


yep, please do.
Like; Geek, Adicted, Bad Boy, Lolicon, Vampire, Night Elf, and etc, there is so many....
Image
User avatar
Benny_26
 
Posts: 253
Joined: April 27th, 2007, 4:25 pm
Location: Israel, Gaza Strip

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Nah I was just joking around.

I don't see any need to add anymore profile fields at the moment.
User avatar
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: July 13th, 2005, 8:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Gender: Male

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 9:23 pm

val wrote:
Firestorm ZERO wrote:You are free to set or not set. If you want I can add some genders LOL.


Kool! :)

* * * * * * * *

I think I got distracted earlier, so back to my original suggestion about making the posts easier on the eyes. I was trying to show you how the phpbb site had a dark border on the left and right of the web site. Your page doesn't have edges to balance it and as a result, the light colors are really bright and run together.

I'm not good at explaining myself, so here's my suggestion:
Code: Select all
body {                     /*style.php (line 28)*/
background-color:#FFFFFF;
color:#708090;
font-family:Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;
font-size:12px;
margin:0 10px;
padding:0;
}
* html  body { margin:0 10px; padding:0; }
#wrap {                     /*style.php (line 116)*/
background-color:#FFFFFF;
min-width:650px;
margin: 0 auto;
padding:5px 10px;
}
* html  #wrap { margin: 0 auto; padding:5px 10px; }

html, body {
   /*style.php (line 2627) I assume there's a reason the bg changes this far down, so I changed it here only */
background:#708090 none repeat scroll 0%;
color:#708090;
}


This is what I was trying to originally post. I also suggested making the left border on the avatar definition list the same dark color as the body tag.

Code: Select all
.postprofile {         /*style.php (line 3211)*/
border-left-color:#708090;
color:#666666;
}


It's just a suggestion. Honestly, other than the brightness, I like the new design. It just needs to be balanced for easier reading.


Thanks! I'll get to work on this in a moment. I'm trying out some other things. I'll get it done before the end of the day.
User avatar
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: July 13th, 2005, 8:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Gender: Male

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby MrDisco » June 25th, 2007, 11:02 pm

just noticed that messages that had the spoiler tag before the move no longer are hidden.
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Image
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
User avatar
MrDisco
Humble Follower
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 5:45 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Gender: Male

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 11:03 pm

K. I'll check on that.
User avatar
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: July 13th, 2005, 8:37 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron