Bastard Vol. 24 ?

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Bastard Vol. 24 ?

Postby Hagi » April 9th, 2006, 7:35 pm

It's been a long time since Bastard #23 came out in Japan and I'm wondering what Kazushi Hagiwara is doing the whole time.
I've noticed that a Bastard MMORPG popped up, but it doesn't look very promising...
And he seems to update his circle's online shop quite regularly.

Does anyone know if he's still working on Bastard?
Hagi

Postby val » April 10th, 2006, 5:09 am

I believe Bastard is a feature of the monthly magazine/manga, Ultra Jump. If you want to follow his work, you should be able to find a store that offers a monthly subscription to the magazine. Once enough chapters appear in Ultra Jump, they are compiled into a manga, and that's when you will see vol. 24 release. Bastard is an ongoing series in Japan that never ends. The volumes are released when there's enough content to publish a complete manga.

I think Ultra Jump just opened a Bastard site too, but I haven't really followed it lately.

They also released volume 3 of Bastard in the larger format. The format is preferred because Bastard originally appeared in Ultra Jump at that size, and it is actually scaled down to 50% when it's printed in the smaller sized series (vols 1-23).

As for the Hagi store, the store is owned by Shoppage, and they sell his work under contract. They just announced some signed prints that they intend to sell in the near future, but they are just color prints in a aluminum (i think?) frame. The price is not posted. However, if the price is expected to be like his lithographs on that site, then it's going to be expensive. The lithographs appear to price for $200.00+.

As for his doujinshi, he has 3 for sale on that site, Expansion 1 & 2. A variety of stores offer Expansion online, and we also offer it when we have stock. Speaking of stock, we actually have both volumes here, but we haven't posted them yet. The other books is 500+ pages of Hagi's history as an illustrator. It is mainly text and very large. Most stores probably wouldn't offer it because it's written in Japanese but there are smaller drawings and illustrations between the text to guide you through his career.
val

Postby Susano » April 10th, 2006, 3:58 pm

I just checked the last two issues (2 and 3) of UJ that I have. From what I can tell, there were no new chapters of Bastard in it. I know like Val said that it should be in there since I've gotten issues last year with chapters of Bastard in it. So it's entirely possible that that Kazushi Hagiwara may be taking a break from the series. I'll check around and let you know if I see anything about him and Bastard.
Susano

Postby val » April 11th, 2006, 7:53 am

Oh,

I took a look around, and I see what you mean. His site hasn't been updated by his staff with any news since Sept. 2005:
http://basta.gangz.com/

Apparently, he hasn't been in Ultra Jump for months either.

Did he get married or something? I read that on the BBS.

Also, he might be really busy with a new project or the RPG. These guys work under strict deadlines and strive for perfection, so it's pretty normal for some to cut off contact with the world for months to years (shirow is a good example) when busy with work.

I'm sure he'll back. However, I can't find his English site. He used to have two sites and an English BBS. All of the English stuff is gone.
val

Postby Susano » April 22nd, 2006, 11:21 pm

Issue 4 of Ultra Jump had an add for the the third large B5 sized format of the Bastard comic. There was nothing about new chapters starting again any time soon. I'll let you know if I see anything else in the magazine in the future.
Susano

Postby val » April 23rd, 2006, 12:07 am

He drew this doujinshi in 2003 while on some kind of spiritual retreat:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kazushi-Hagiwara-St ... dZViewItem

According to his comments inside the book, he went into the wilderness to fast. While he starved himself for 10 days, he drew color illustrations and sketches. He said the mind is clearer and colors are more beautiful when you experience something like this. He also wrote that he's 41 years old, so an old man getting in touch with nature... like a spiritual awakening, I guess. I don't know the exact translation of what he wrote, but I'm pretty sure it's something profound about a turning point in his life. Being that our Japanese is not advanced enough to translate his comments, please don't take my comments literally. It sounds like he's taken trips like this before, but it had been a long, long time.

It's interesting too because you won't find this doujinshi mentioned on his web site, and you also won't find it in the Hagi Store. However, it is 100% Hagiwara and all color. His site also has not been updated since it released, so very strange because someone else maintains his web site and another company handles his store. Maybe he is taking time for himself for a bit... Perhaps he doesn't want to make his fans worry because it is not related to Bastard.
val

Postby SCL » April 23rd, 2006, 1:53 am

If I remember correctly, Hasn't he been known to release Bastard!! on an irregular schedule in the past due to health problems?
SCL

Postby val » April 23rd, 2006, 5:58 am

Yeah, I think Bastard has been off and on for years without a lot of consistency. When Hagi takes a break, they normally release a bunch of compilations and other "data" books. I didn't know he had health problems though. Someone on his forum mentioned that he may have lost interest after getting married, but I don't know if any of that is true.

His latest doujinshi makes me think he's "Feeling Free as A Bird!" ~v~

Susano, please let us know if you see any new work.
val

Postby Susano » June 20th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Shueisha has just updated thier Ultra Jump website recently with information on Bastard #24 here. Bablefish pretty much says that #24 comes out on July 4th and that the August issue of Ultra Jump will contain special Bastard related information. They're calling it a Bastard special or something along those affects. The August issue of Ultra Jump will also contain an alternate cover for the Bastard volume.
Susano

Postby Susano » September 19th, 2006, 10:01 pm

• On the Shueisha front it's worth noting that Kazushi Hagiwara returned with a new chapter of BASTARD!! released with the October issue of Monthly Ultra Jump (which is on sale as of today). IIRC that's the first chapter he released for the series since the November 2005 issue of UJ ^_~

Thanks to Little Harlock on the AoD forums for the information. I figured I'd post this here since I know a few people were interested in the title. :buiin:
Susano

Return to Manga