Shirow starting a new series?

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Postby Susano » June 20th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Val,

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. I'm sure they make decent profit on the books they sell- it's usually 1.5 times what the cover price is marked at, so expensive books can be quite painful to import. I'm also guessing they have a single distrobution spot where they import everything for sale in the US. From there, I've seen shipments when they come in to the local store- they're generally delivered by UPS.

The Japanese market definitely has an odd wholesale markdown. While I worked for distrobution company, they generally recieved the products at one fourth the cover price and they then sold the stuff to stores at 46% off. They were actually one of the more expensive companies for percentage off. Most of the other similar distributors gave 48% or more off the cover price.
Susano

Postby val » June 20th, 2006, 5:20 pm

Susano,

The discount rate is even worse for wholesalers. In Japan, distributors only receive about 8-12% of a book's cover price as their profit margin and they too pay consumption tax of 5% on top of total cost. 12% would be the high end, so store's actually have it a little better. On average for manga, mooks and magazines, stores pay 779% of the cover price PLUS 5% consumption tax on top of that. Once you add tax, we pay about 80% of the cover price. In Japan, all the small book stores closed down several years ago because they couldn't make a profit, and since then, it has actually gotten better. We used to pay more for our books about 3+ years ago. Unfortunately, if we didn't sell doujinshi, we couldn't stay in business because we have to ship 1000s of books at Japan's normal profit to pay overhead costs in Tokyo. I think Diamond ends up doubling the price of imports because they're used to American profit margins. They definitely don't receive a large enough break from Japanese publishers to make a normal Western Market profit.
val

Postby val » June 20th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Susano wrote:The Japanese market definitely has an odd wholesale markdown. While I worked for distrobution company, they generally recieved the products at one fourth the cover price and they then sold the stuff to stores at 46% off. They were actually one of the more expensive companies for percentage off. Most of the other similar distributors gave 48% or more off the cover price.

LOL. That must be nice. It works the other way around in Japan. The distributor gets 1/4 off the price, and then must resell the item to a store and make a profit. The store must then resell it at the legal street price. Stores can't legally increase the price, even if it costs them 80 yen in overhead to sell an item with a 20 yen profit margin. For example, most Japanese stores don't package orders well for a reason (or the store charges you for it.) because their profit on a manga might be 80 yen and packaging will cost 100 yen. Amazon.jp has a 300 yen handling fee for foreign orders. The fee is charged per item. Most foreign buyers don't realize this but their per item fee can be ridiculous for small items and they hide it in the S&H. Some stores don't accept international orders or credit cards because it's expensive. When you're making 80 yen, you really can't pay another 30 yen in transaction fees plus 3-4% for a foreign credit card. Debit cards also cost more to accept. No stores accept returns. Refunds never happen either. However, there is a reason for it because they simply don't make enough money and 90% of the product's price covered their costs to provide the book to you.
val

Postby skicow » June 20th, 2006, 5:58 pm

val wrote:
Susano wrote:The Japanese market definitely has an odd wholesale markdown. While I worked for distrobution company, they generally recieved the products at one fourth the cover price and they then sold the stuff to stores at 46% off. They were actually one of the more expensive companies for percentage off. Most of the other similar distributors gave 48% or more off the cover price.

LOL. That must be nice. It works the other way around in Japan. The distributor gets 1/4 off the price, and then must resell the item to a store and make a profit. The store must then resell it at the legal street price. Stores can't legally increase the price, even if it costs them 80 yen in overhead to sell an item with a 20 yen profit margin. For example, most Japanese stores don't package orders well for a reason (or the store charges you for it.) because their profit on a manga might be 80 yen and a packaging will cost 100 yen. Amazon.jp has a 300 yen handling fee for foreign orders. The fee is charged per item. Most foreign buyers don't realize this but their per item fee can be ridiculous for small items and they hide it in the S&H. Some stores don't accept international orders or credit cards because it's expensive. When you're making 80 yen, you really can't pay another 30 yen in transaction fees plus 3-4% for a foreign credit card. Debit cards also cost more to accept. No stores accept returns. Refunds never happen either. However, there is a reason for it because they simply don't make enough money and 90% of the product's price covered their costs to provide the book to you.

Sounds like the Japanese government favors Big Business over the small business eh? Big Business makes all the money, and small business does all the work. That sucks.
skicow

Postby Susano » June 20th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Val,

Wow, that's pretty insane. And I'm amased Debit Cards cost more than regular credit cards. It's the opposite way round for stores in the US. There are less fees for debit as opposed to credit cards.
Susano

Postby val » June 20th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Susano wrote:Val,

Wow, that's pretty insane. And I'm amased Debit Cards cost more than regular credit cards. It's the opposite way round for stores in the US. There are less fees for debit as opposed to credit cards.

Debit cards are not credit cards. They are simply electronic checks, and as a result, they do not clear like a credit card. In the US, debit cards can be processed through ACH (automated clearing house which is the federal reserve). There is no such thing as ACH in Japan, so the cards are processed through a specialized program with Visa or MasterCard Int'l and it also routes through Cirrus or whatever your bank uses. As a result, it costs foreign companies more to accept debit cards because you're paying for access to the international gateway that routes through a global network and then eventually converts to ACH. Even in the USA, the store can only reduce that cost if the store also has ACH processing. If so, they simply convert the transaction into an ACH debit and it routes through the Feds like any eCheck. As a result, they don't have to pay Visa or MasterCard for gateway access. Hope that makes sense. Many stores in Japan can't accept US debit cards even if they have Visa or MasterCard processing because it is a foreign system and many banks in Japan do not support debit cards. The banks that do support foreign debit cards charge more for it. For example, Mandarake's online store is credit card only. Yahoo Japan Auction Payments is also credit card only. Many services, like gas stations in Japan, can't accept debit cards. Also, when I use my BofA debit card in Japan, I get hit with a 3% international fee for purchases and 1% for ATM withdrawals. The companies also pay more, so the banks are pretty much penalizing international transactions on both ends... most likely to discourage them because cross-border is considered high risk and debit card liability for fraud can turn into a loss for the card issuer (i.e., your bank).
val

Postby val » June 20th, 2006, 6:37 pm

To understand how debit cards work, this is an excellent guide:
http://www.occ.treas.gov/Consumer/checkwriting.htm

Basically, debit cards are simply echecks. Some merchants can instantly convert a transaction into an eCheck using your debit card. If so, they don't pay CC fees.
val

Postby Susano » June 20th, 2006, 10:28 pm

Val,

Hmm, I didn't know they worked that way. ^_^ Thanks for the info.
Susano

Postby Arcturus » June 25th, 2006, 9:31 pm

skicow wrote:

Yup, you're absolutely correct on the costs, they are fair what they're charging. It's more for me I'm used to only paying about another $1 to $2 USD per magazine issue more than the cover price thanks to me living nearby a Japanese bookstore. For example, I pay about $7.50 per issue of Ultra Jump with a variance of 20 cents depending on cover price. Young Uppers magazine generally only cost me $3.50 per issue when I was getting that. I guess I'm rather spoiled and very lucky when it comes to import magazines.

The only magazines handled differently are Shonen Jump and Young Magazine. With those, I think Asahiya gets them shipped by EMS to them since they always have the previous weeks issue in stock when I go to the store- they're also about double the cover price. All the other magazines are shipped by SAL I'm assuming. That's the same with most of their other merchandise except cd's which generally arrive within a week of release as well.

Hmmm...there must be a place in Toronto that has Japanese books for sale like that...I must find one! 8)

You are probably right, I believe Toronto is a major city. New York City had two major Japanese booksellers there.

I was able to pick up three GalGrease collections from their artbook stock they had in store, and the magazine that carried my favorite
Japanese manga "Otogi no Machi no Rena".

San Diego had three Japanese booksellers, but only one of them sold current items, the others all sold older manga and artbooks.

These all were strictly Japanese book and magazine sellers.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby skicow » June 26th, 2006, 3:04 am

Arcturus wrote:
skicow wrote:

Yup, you're absolutely correct on the costs, they are fair what they're charging. It's more for me I'm used to only paying about another $1 to $2 USD per magazine issue more than the cover price thanks to me living nearby a Japanese bookstore. For example, I pay about $7.50 per issue of Ultra Jump with a variance of 20 cents depending on cover price. Young Uppers magazine generally only cost me $3.50 per issue when I was getting that. I guess I'm rather spoiled and very lucky when it comes to import magazines.

The only magazines handled differently are Shonen Jump and Young Magazine. With those, I think Asahiya gets them shipped by EMS to them since they always have the previous weeks issue in stock when I go to the store- they're also about double the cover price. All the other magazines are shipped by SAL I'm assuming. That's the same with most of their other merchandise except cd's which generally arrive within a week of release as well.

Hmmm...there must be a place in Toronto that has Japanese books for sale like that...I must find one! 8)

You are probably right, I believe Toronto is a major city. New York City had two major Japanese booksellers there.

I was able to pick up three GalGrease collections from their artbook stock they had in store, and the magazine that carried my favorite
Japanese manga "Otogi no Machi no Rena".

San Diego had three Japanese booksellers, but only one of them sold current items, the others all sold older manga and artbooks.

These all were strictly Japanese book and magazine sellers.

Yeah, I was able to find this one store in Markham http://www.japantown.ca/ but I didn't get there. I did get Robot vol 2 from 1,000,000 Comix for $30 Cdn, not too bad I think :) and now that I've seen it I need the other books too! lol
skicow

Postby Susano » July 23rd, 2006, 8:14 pm

Ok, I just visited sTwo's site and I need to edit my first post in this thread. The magazine rumored to have the new Shirow manga in it is Comic Ryu, not Comic Gum. Go figure bablefish mistranslated it for me when I looked it up. :ase2:

From sTwo's news section, the new comic is not in the upcoming September issue. But there are some new items announced in the Togi Hime Zohousi Kobang 2 released on the 21st. There's apparently going to be another Kodansha Togi Hime wall calendar for 2007, some form of desktop calendar releated to Togi Hime, and a Glagrease calendar (mouse pad type?)
Susano

Postby skicow » July 25th, 2006, 12:35 am

Susano wrote:Ok, I just visited sTwo's site and I need to edit my first post in this thread. The magazine rumored to have the new Shirow manga in it is Comic Ryu, not Comic Gum. Go figure bablefish mistranslated it for me when I looked it up. :ase2:

From sTwo's news section, the new comic is not in the upcoming September issue. But there are some new items announced in the Togi Hime Zohousi Kobang 2 released on the 21st. There's apparently going to be another Kodansha Togi Hime wall calendar for 2007, some form of desktop calendar releated to Togi Hime, and a Glagrease calendar (mouse pad type?)

Oh. My. God. :shock:

I want all of these!

It's been so long since we've have original Shirow stuff - almost two years?!? I can't wait! :banban:
skicow

Previous

Return to Manga