Gekijouban Macross F: Itsuwarino Utahime - Hybrid Pack

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Gekijouban Macross F: Itsuwarino Utahime - Hybrid Pack

Postby Syn13 » October 9th, 2010, 11:51 am

Just came out 2 days ago in Japan, one of the firsts so far in Blu Ray technology where a single BD contains The False Diva movie in glorious hi def, 120 minutes of extra footage and the exclusive Trial Frontier game made for the PS3.
I haven't gotten my copy yet(hopefully there's a nice pre-order special since I pre-ordered mine a long time ago) but I can see the pros and cons of this "Hybrid" pack:
For what you're paying for, it's essentially what the usual anime BD would almost cost in Japan except possibly 1,000 JPY more which is probably a good deal since the Trial Frontier game is essentially a port of the PSP Frontier games(which incorporates the Gundam Battle series' engine) but with a super buff in graphics. Depends on how you view Theatrical anime movies, most of them are rehash of the original televised series but with slightly new scenes but I'm hoping the extra 120 minutes if addition footage make this a BD worth owning.
Quite possibly the only down fall IMO for me is the lack of subs but considering that this is pretty much the first Hybrid thing out, I would love to own something like this as a display item.

So from my understanding, the contents are:
-Original Illustrated 3-Side Collectors Box
-All-Color 48 Page Booklet
-Macross F: The Movie -Itsuwaru no Utahime (120 min)
-Playstation 3 Game Software Macross Trial Frontier
-Over 120 Min of Bonus footage

I wonder if there will be a big difference in titles according to different regions of the world though we do know games and anime do mix but then again, doesn't Big West and Harmony Gold have some issues bring Macross over to North America?
Syn13

Re: Gekijouban Macross F: Itsuwarino Utahime - Hybrid Pack

Postby Susano » October 9th, 2010, 9:12 pm

The Macross blu ray released have looked really nice, just like the movie you mentioned. And we are not likely to see a US release any time soon due to Harmony Gold and their Robotech series. If you are looking for information on first press items, I would check cdjapan.co.jp. They are pretty good about listing the first press items.
Susano

Postby Syn13 » October 10th, 2010, 5:33 am

Hopefully mine is, just paid $89 CAD for it over this weekend. It was just weird to see two product pages from AmiAmi with the exception of the "no pre-order special" for the second page.
Checked up cdjapan about the first press info in Japanese, mainly just noticed an in depth look of the movie features along with Trial Frontier being included.

Unfortunately It'll always be in Japanese only as a retail item not like the recent news about the next Nanoha movie in BD to have english subtitles for the Japanese version which was extremely weird in my opinion.
Syn13

Postby Syn13 » October 15th, 2010, 5:35 am

Well gonna do this now, "lol Japan".
The pre-order special item for the hybrid pack is a signed autographed card(not sure if it's a print) but what comes with it is a strip of the film of a random scene and lets take a look at Yahoo Auctions Japan for the Sheryl ones:

lol japan.
Syn13

Postby Syn13 » October 21st, 2010, 10:59 am

Just got my copy of the BD Hybrid Pack and though I only understood a bit of the dialogue and only knew about 60% of what was going on(remember, this is a retelling of the first half of the televised series so it sorta follows it).

Anyway here's my opinion of the movie and what I could offer, beware, may contain spoilers!!!

Gekijouban Macross Frontier: Itsuwarino Utahime
-What's in the package? BD Hybrid disc(movie + game), 48 color paged booklet, box, Macross product slip, Winter concert drawing ticket, instructions for Trial Frontier, box slip and pre-order special, card with a film strip(mine was just a building where Alto and Ranka frequently met up)...

Where shall I start? Aside from the movie being completely reanimated(thank god it's not a clip movie!!), the movie starts off with a lot of the beginning explanation and character introductions skipped including the students of the flight academy already meeting Sheryl Nome(as shown in a short flashback of Sheryl talking down to them about students for her concert) and the fact that Ranka is delivering some Nyan Nyan delivery to them at the academy means that she already met everyone saving us a lot of time.
Most of the scenes you recognize from the show will be modified to further cut to the chase. Notable mentions from the movie:
-Sheryl's concert scenes(especially the first one featuring "Universal Bunny") and the very definition of Macross aside from the love triangle theme.
-Even though if this movie was meant to be more focused on Sheryl Nome, Ranka gets a revamped scene of her working up to her debut!
-Luca already has Ghost pack(where it's one of the final packs he uses in the end of the series).
-Alto receives the VF-25 Tornado in the end.
-In the movie, Sheryl can emit her own fold waves.
-We get more of an idea of Sheryl and Ranka's parents(which are major characters to the franchise).
-Movie follows the complete TV series to the end in a sense confirming that the second movie will turn out differently(yay!):
-----Beginning of the movie: Alto joins SMS, meets Sheryl, Ranka and Vajra attacks.
-----Middle of the movie: Love triangle forms, Ranka becomes an Idol, Alto finds out about Sheryl's past. Grace is shady...suspected of being a spy.
-----End of movie: Instead of invading the Varja hive/home planet, a large carrier appears in front of Frontier. Ranka tries to lure Varja when they try to attack Sheryl and Alto, gets capture and Sheryl finds the strength to sing so that Alto can get Ranka back. Duet happens, Macross Quarter does the exact same move to destroy the alien cruiser(Transforms, uses pinpoint system to bust into the hull then uses the Destroid Defenders to blow up the interior) which the Battle Frontier's main cannon couldn't do earlier.

Trial Frontier:
This is the PS3 game on the Blu Ray disc, as I suspected, being about 1,500 JPY more than the standard BD price in Japan, you can't expect a full length game which is exactly what it isn't.
The game basically uses the PSP Bandai games' engine found in Gundam Battle Tactics, Battle Colosseum, Battle Royale, Macross Ace Frontier and Ultimate Frontier but with beefed up graphics making it visually appealing and the controls feel a little more fine tuned(I never really enjoyed Ace Frontier on PSP). Total mission count in this game is 12, 6 main mission and 6 of the same missions but in "free mode" giving you choice of your Valkyria(Queadluun-Rau or Vajra), pilots and higher difficulty.
For what it is, I think it does well for a preview or demo of any future Macross games on the Playstation 3. The mission order goes as:
01 - Alto's training mission
02 - Ozma's mission
03 - Mikhail's mission
04 - Alto's mission(in the VF-25 Tornado)
05 - Vajra's mission
06 - Luca's mission(survive for 10 minutes)

If they decide to do the same with the second movie's home release, I will get it for sure, I definitely love this set and hopefully the movie will have a definite ending to it~
Syn13

Return to Anime