Slaigar's Figures!

All about figures, statues and models

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Re: Slaigar's Figures!

Postby Slaigar » September 26th, 2008, 8:32 am

Thanks, everyone. The comments are well appreciated.

shawn wrote:Ah... FEET! :tehe:

I made sure to include them this time, haha.
Slaigar

Postby Slaigar » November 21st, 2008, 8:20 am

Just picked up a new lens: Canon 135mm f/2.0L. I grabbed this lens mostly for the intent of doing some portraits, but it also looks like I can macro with it (something I didn't expect). So far, I have been playing with the f/2 and it is unreal.
It blurs busy foregrounds and backgrounds nicely and is sharp at that aperture. The surrounding figures are about 3 inches in front and behind Caren Ortensia. Downside, the weight (.750kg) will take time getting used to and my closest focusing distance is .9 meters! I'm definitely going to have to change a few of my habits and technique.

I really won't have much time to actually use it until December for both my figure (Hayate and Gwendolyn! Woo!) and portrait shots. Regardless, I'm super excited and needed to express :ah:
Slaigar

Postby Slaigar » January 12th, 2009, 4:37 am

Just got [Alter] Gwendolyn in the mail on Friday evening. She's great! Holding her up reminded me how much I loved Odin Sphere.

Finally, a base made by Alter that doesn't resemble a tupperware lide! It boosts her up an extra two inches or so.
It looks like the front knee has two wings in this photo, but the back wing is from the other knee. There is another shot that will show it properly.
Her wonderful wings with their gorgeous detail. The paint is very reflective.
The spear which I never get in view.
A closeup with f/2.
And in white.
In white. I messed this one up, but hopefully no one notices, haha. I'll probably redo this one later.

For all the photos, I'm using a flash bouncing it off walls. A reflector is placed beneath her to help out on the lighting. I switch between ISO100 and ISO400 depending on what f-stop I'm using (between f/2 and f/4).

She's very tall and her wing span makes it difficult to pose a good shot. I'm using a 135mm f/2L and fitting all of her into frame is rather difficult. And the size restriction on flickr doesn't help with a this large figure. After my battery recharges, I'll make another attempt at a proper profile view.
Slaigar

Postby Ogre AN-21 » January 12th, 2009, 5:35 am

Nice!

I hope my Gwendolyn comes soon. Is she stable? The design makes it looks like she's gonna fall over eventually or become a leaner.
Wishlist:
[ALTER]Fate T. Harlaown
[Megahouse]Isayama Yomi
[Kotobukiya]Xecty Ein
Ogre AN-21

Postby valho » January 12th, 2009, 5:49 am

The Canon 135mm f/2.0L is a great portrait lens, my fren owned one and yeah its heavy haha. The bokeh from this lens is unreal, sharpness as well.

Ah Alter Gwendolyn, very nice details, had to give her a miss due to budget constraint though
valho

Postby Slaigar » January 12th, 2009, 6:09 am

Ogre AN-21 wrote:Nice!

I hope my Gwendolyn comes soon. Is she stable? The design makes it looks like she's gonna fall over eventually or become a leaner.

There are only two pegs in her foot that hold her in place. Seeing that always makes me a bit wary with these elaborate poses. Because none of my other Alter figures have broken or warped yet, I'll trust it. She seems fairly well-balanced and her weight is concentrated towards the center of the figure, so I don't suspect any leaning from her in the future. In terms of stability, it is very similar to Donne Anonime; her high center of gravity makes her susceptible to wobbling if your display case is nudged. Any sort of tipping? I could probably see it happening if I was careless. However, that shouldn't be a problem for the most of us.
Slaigar

Postby Slaigar » January 13th, 2009, 12:09 am

valho wrote:The Canon 135mm f/2.0L is a great portrait lens, my fren owned one and yeah its heavy haha. The bokeh from this lens is unreal, sharpness as well.

Ah Alter Gwendolyn, very nice details, had to give her a miss due to budget constraint though

I love 135mm f/2L to death. It's been lots of fun using it for portraits and abstract. Hopefully, I'll be creative enough to use it to its fullest in the upcoming months. I'm still waiting for the weather to improve before I take it outside again. Now it's back to sitting on my shelf :kuruc: .
Ya, the budget thing is killing me. I still want Hayate Yagami, but I'm still saving up to get a full frame. She hasn't sold out yet at HLJ, so hopefully she'll still be around in four or five months from now.

I'll avoid flickr for these last two shots.
IMG_6152.JPG
IMG_6158.JPG
I fit her frame! Woo! I had to be 2 meters away to get the shot.
Slaigar

Postby Gamertag » January 16th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Salvatana is very nice, but that pose always bugs me for some reason. Especially from certain angles.
Image youtube page showing some of my sticks.
Gamertag

Postby Slaigar » May 22nd, 2010, 10:32 pm

More than a year since my last figure update. My collection isn't totally dead. I'm still collecting figures the occasional figures from Alter, but I haven't gone around to take photos of them. It's mostly a space issue; I moved to a new place last year and my room is a lot smaller. I have no room to display my figures, so they remain in boxes. And taking photos of boxes isn't too fun :ase2: . But anywho:

What I received in the last year: Subaru, Fate, Nanoha, and Mercedes. Fate and Nanoha are gigantic! These figures need a shelf to just themselves. Shipping was also ridiculous for them.

Subaru trying to bust out of the packaging. Too bad though, she'll be in her box jail for a while still.

Latest addition: Mercedes from Odin Sphere! She's so cute. Had to be one of favourite games for the PS2 so she was a must get.
Looking at the packaging makes me sad; it definitely doesn't do them justice. All of them are top notch though, and definitely a good addition to any collection.

What I still got coming from eBay:
[ALTER] Hayate Yagami. Missed out on last time because I was broke, so I'm grabbing it now! Yup, I gotta get my Nanoha fix.
[ALTER] Saber Maid. I remember seeing Alter's collaboration posting back in September '09. Totally forgot about it until Evil SDude posted his gorgeous photo (http://forums.zero-type.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1775#p24662). Compulsion and love made me grab this.

Other than figures, I've been picking up some other stuff. I've now upgraded my camera to a 5D II and picked up a new 24-70mm f/2.8L lens with it. The zoom combined with a high quality full frame camera has made my photography much more flexible. It's a hefty beast to take on hikes, but so worth it! So I've been having a blast with that.

Also, grabbed a G-Safe (2TB RAID1 harddrive). With the new camera, my harddrive space on my mac was dwindling away, so the extra space was almost a necessity.
Slaigar

Postby Onegai » May 27th, 2010, 7:51 am

Slaigar wrote:More than a year since my last figure update. My collection isn't totally dead. I'm still collecting figures the occasional figures from Alter, but I haven't gone around to take photos of them. It's mostly a space issue; I moved to a new place last year and my room is a lot smaller. I have no room to display my figures, so they remain in boxes. And taking photos of boxes isn't too fun :ase2: . But anywho:

Yes the more figures you have the more you are unable to display. The eternal conflict between space and product....

Anyway... :tehe:

Love that Odin Sphere Mercedes of yours. Classy stuff! ;) :)
Onegai

Postby Slaigar » May 31st, 2010, 9:03 pm

Too true! And with all these boxes, I'm running out of more room :ase2:

Some quickie photos of new arrivals:
ImageImage
[Alter] Saber. I'm not even going to peek; she's going to stay in her box.
Something that I can actually take out! [Gift] Inu Sakuya. She's small, cute and comes with this mini-box that she can sit in. I'm going to find a comfy spot for her on my shelf.
ImageImage
Out of her mini-box and also a side-shot to show off the tail.
Slaigar

Postby Syn13 » June 1st, 2010, 11:09 pm

Interesting, Alter Saber Maid's box looks thinner that it really is.
Nice buys man, waiting to see some sick pictures of her!!
Syn13

Postby Onegai » June 3rd, 2010, 8:47 pm

Wait is it a Saber in evil mode in a maid outfit? What's the difference apart from being evil whilst cleaning the house?
Onegai

Postby jkno » June 6th, 2010, 2:37 pm

Superb shots of the Gwendolyn figure!
"Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away"

My collection
jkno

Previous

Return to Figures / Statues / Models