Galaxy Express 999

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Galaxy Express 999

Postby Syn13 » November 6th, 2009, 7:21 am

Kicking it old school here, just started watching his historical anime series and dispite it's age, it really is a gem in the generation where I watched the mecha stuff made it big(Gundam and Macross namely to say).
Anyway, I'm wondering what the target audience for this series was? In the very first episode, we get half naked women and some brutal violence(Scenes of Count Mech hunting down people and skinning them for trophies kinda pretty dark there).

Looking forward to watching more, too busy at the moment. Anyone else into the series, are the recent stuff as good?
Syn13

Re: Galaxy Express 999

Postby BigPfeiffer » November 8th, 2009, 4:33 pm

I am a big big fan of Leiji Matsumoto so for me I have a lot of fond memories of that show along with Space Battleship Yamato, Harlock etc. Hmm as for target market I'm not really sure. That aired in the late 70s I think and there was a lot of violent shows around then. I would not consider it overly violent though. Perhaps I'm just desensitized these days. ;) Not really seen any of the later stuff (2000+), perhaps I should. :) It's a good show though, perhaps not the kind of show that gets produced now but certainly worth a watch.
BigPfeiffer
Site Sponser

Postby Syn13 » November 9th, 2009, 5:33 am

Certainly good to hear some feedback, I've always known his work but unfortunately when I was very young(early early 90's, late 80's) and the only network that would air Harlock was the French station.

Desensitized ever since 1990(6 years old with Saint Seiya), fully desensitized in 1994 after watching Gencyber lol.

Which reminds me that I hope Interstella 5555 gets released onto Blu-Ray, bought the DVD when it was first released in '03 but lent it to a friend a while back and never got it back...Gotta make some time to watch GE999, the first episode has really drawn me into it like who Maetel's mysterious character and what valuable lessons he learns with each planet he visits. Is it just me or does Maetel really looks like Tetsuro's mother or did most of Matsumoto's female characters look similar?
Syn13

Postby Onegai » November 26th, 2009, 7:09 am

First Leiji Matsumoto work I saw (well it was a co-production) was Uchuu Senkan Yamato. Started watching 999 in 2007. I tell you, some of these new generation directors could learn a lot from these old classics.

Old school FTW!
Onegai

Return to Anime