UJ-14 bootleg?

Discussion of fake / bootleg figures/statues/models. Get rid of them like the plague!

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

UJ-14 bootleg?

Postby asgard » April 22nd, 2009, 8:08 am

I know BBTS has a good rep, but I must question whether or not this figure is actually legit:
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... cture=aux2

A close up of the face shows a HORRID paint job. I've seen this figure in real life (unfortunately not in my own collection, as much as I would love for it to be) and the paint work and finishing was beautifully done.

What gives? Are they selling bootlegs?
asgard

Re: UJ-14 bootleg?

Postby BigPfeiffer » April 22nd, 2009, 8:20 pm

Wah that was a scary looking figure. ;) Looks to be the same photos (or at least one of them) that Hobby Search are using though so it could be a case of Worst Promotional Photos Ever rather than bootlegging.
BigPfeiffer
Site Sponser

Postby asgard » April 22nd, 2009, 8:32 pm

I'd be more ammenable to believing that to be the case if I hadn't actually seen the figure myself. The paint job on her hair, eyes and around her neck (clothes etc.) for example in these photos is AWFUL :(
This figure was supposed to be really limited edition and hard to find, so when I saw it at BBTS you can't believe how happy I was... only to come crashing down with dissapointment when I realised it could very well be a bootleg :(
asgard

Postby BigPfeiffer » April 22nd, 2009, 8:46 pm

It really does look terrible. I know some figures can look that bad close up but as you said, you've seen the actual figure before. Even allowing for some variance between each completed figure that still does not seem right. I've never heard anything about BBTS selling bootlegs before but they themselves may have thought they were buying the real thing. If you are interested in the figure (as it seems) I'd be tempted to ask them outright if it's 100% genuine or not - some actual photos of the box and figure itself rather than stock images would be nice as well. I'm sure they'd respond quickly - no legitimate site is ever happy to be even vaguely associated with bootlegs.
BigPfeiffer
Site Sponser

Postby Syn13 » April 24th, 2009, 5:34 am

I'm 99% sure that BBTS is selling the real thing, all the online stores use those terrible pictures for some reason. Other than promotional pictures, took a look at Happy Soda's Review for reference, the only thing I don't like is the glossy black on her(straps/head gear).
Syn13

Postby Susano » April 25th, 2009, 4:05 pm

From the look of the figure, at least a good chunk (if not all) of the problem is caused by the photos themselves. They are some of the worst photos I've seen BBTS do both in quality of the shoot and the quality of the photos' saved on their site. They're just plain poorly converted with a very low megapixel appearance. (Even my old phone's 1.3 megapixel camera took better pictures than that.) Honestly, BBTS has never really posted high quality photos, so I'm betting that's the problem more than anything else.
Susano

Postby asgard » April 25th, 2009, 8:33 pm

I spoke with the friend who owns the figure and I am going to email BBTS. As BigPfeiffer says, I am sure they'll want to know if they are stocking bootlegs, or atleast they can give me the re-assurance I need to know it ISN'T so I can order :)

Syn yeah Happy's photos are way better than the ones on the BBTS site :(
asgard

Postby cbeley » June 13th, 2009, 7:33 am

I own UJ-14 (sits write on my desk in front of me) and, other than the face picture, everything else just looks like it was taken with a absolutely horribly low resolution camera and then upscaled. Then again, its a little hard to tell, and the face does look really off. :S

Anyway, it's a great figure if you get it. Only issue is the white part of her outfit seems to be a dust magnet and is a little more sticky (I don't think that is the right word...but....dust does tend to stick there a little easier).

Also, if you look up my figure thread you should be able to find my UJ-14 pictures if you need more references.

I am pretty surprised BBTS has this in stock though...and for cheap as they are selling it.
Wooo~ Signature goes here! 42~
cbeley

Return to Fake / Bootleg Figures/Statues/Models