Encoding a format for the PS3?/Kara no Kyoukai thread

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Encoding a format for the PS3?/Kara no Kyoukai thread

Postby Syn13 » February 6th, 2009, 7:38 am

Well I got myself a HD TV and I wanted to watch Kara no Kyoukai on my PS3, I got chapters 1 - 3 working perfectly but unfortunately chapter 4 - 5 works fine but there's absolutely no subtitles appearing.
Anyone have any ideas how to get this working? I can't seem to get Video9 PS3 converter since it doesn't seem to do anything when I try to convert/encode the file I want.
I'm currently using mkv2vob and or 4media PS3 converter.

edited:
Changed the title, since my main .mkv converting program mysteriously works fine now. Any advice from PS3 pros are welcomed or anyone currently watching/watched Kara no Kyoukai are welcome to join in the conversation.
Last edited by Syn13 on February 7th, 2009, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syn13

Re: Encoding anime to a format for the PS3?

Postby Arcturus » February 6th, 2009, 8:20 pm

I have no knowledge on PS3 converters, but are there any differences in the video files for episodes 1-3 and episodes 4-6.

- Like 1-3 are .avi files and 4-6 are .mkv files, or other similiar scenarios.
- Also do you have major differences in files sizes and/or HD 720p or 1080p, or even fansub groups.

If you don't see any differences at all, try checking the fansub group's website and look for the release information for each episode to see if they mention any problems or changes in the encoding or the subtitling. Read the comments too, others may have the same problem you did and have already notified the group.

Many of the groups also have IRC channels, where you can ask questions concerning your problem.

Problem sounds like there may be differences between the two groups of episodes, but then again it could be some problem specific to your PS3 converter. See if the originator of your PS3 convertor software has a website or IRC chat channel, they may have a troubleshooting guide, FAQ, or comments section.

Hope it helps.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby Syn13 » February 6th, 2009, 11:30 pm

Strangely enough after a couple of days I quit trying. Just tried mkv2vob again for chapter 5 and it works perfectly...then chapter encoded perfectly too. What the hell?
I would have gone to post my inquiry at shinsen subs(the group that subbed the movies) but they're really anal about questions like that, I ran a search and the first reply was "Our fan subs are made only for viewing on the Windows Operating System and is not our problem if it doesn't work on other platforms" or something like that.
Syn13

Postby DualSoul » February 7th, 2009, 1:46 am

Syn13 wrote:Strangely enough after a couple of days I quit trying. Just tried mkv2vob again for chapter 5 and it works perfectly...then chapter encoded perfectly too. What the hell?
I would have gone to post my inquiry at shinsen subs(the group that subbed the movies) but they're really anal about questions like that, I ran a search and the first reply was "Our fan subs are made only for viewing on the Windows Operating System and is not our problem if it doesn't work on other platforms" or something like that.

A little unrelated to your encoding issue, but I'd pick the gg translation of Kara no Kyoukai over Shinsen-subs.
DualSoul

Postby Syn13 » February 7th, 2009, 5:25 am

Really? I'm weird, I have no preference as long as there aren't Hong Kong subtitles lol. I tend to substitute my own meanings whenever I see small errors or what not.

I believe the biggest screw up was the specific phrase that I saw from Ghost in the Shell SAC where they said something like "Mass Child Rapists or Murderers".

I skimmed through chapter 5 and what the hell? So is the second Aozaki Touko a puppet???
Better watch it tonight, see if there's an answer.
Syn13

Postby Ogre AN-21 » February 7th, 2009, 7:20 am

Keep watching, she explains it to Willy Wonka IIRC.
Wishlist:
[ALTER]Fate T. Harlaown
[Megahouse]Isayama Yomi
[Kotobukiya]Xecty Ein
Ogre AN-21

Postby DualSoul » February 7th, 2009, 7:21 am

I generally don't make a big deal about it, but I find Shinsen-subs to be lacking. On top of that, TakaJun (one of the mirror moon translators) does the translations for gg, so he would be more familiar with the nasu-speak.
DualSoul

Postby Syn13 » February 7th, 2009, 9:19 am

Ogre AN-21 wrote:Keep watching, she explains it to Willy Wonka IIRC.

lol alright. I dunno, its hard between the two Aozaki sisters but because Touko got a design upgrade, its hard to choose which one is favorable...I'm leaning towards Touko since her "habit" is so hot lol...but then again, my knowledge of Touko is the same as Aoi though I did catch a line where she was the heir to something...

DualSoul wrote:I generally don't make a big deal about it, but I find Shinsen-subs to be lacking. On top of that, TakaJun (one of the mirror moon translators) does the translations for gg, so he would be more familiar with the nasu-speak.

Actually that makes more logic to download their versions then. Because I still have yet to watch Chapter 5(which is subbed by TakaJun), I'd probably see a difference.

Wow the character designs for this are really starting to reflects Nasu later character for Tsukihime & Fate/Stay Night. I did hear that this was a novel before before Tsukihime and was basically groundwork/foundation for it later as well.
Syn13

Return to Anime