[Review] Minami-ke

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

[Review] Minami-ke

Postby MrDisco » January 14th, 2009, 12:00 am

This week I look at the comedic series 'Minami-ke'. The show is an adaption of the manga by Koharu Sakuraba. The show is a slice of life look at the daily lives of three sisters:
Haruka Minami - The eldest and a senior at high school. She's been charged for taking care of her younger sisters (it's never revealed what happened to the parents). Haruka is beautiful, gentle, and an excellent cook. Despite her calm nature she can become quite annoyed (whenever Kana tries to help with the cooking) to quite flustered (whenever sex or dating topics come up).
Kana Minami - The middle sister who serves the role of 'energetic idiot'. She's not very good at school, is a terrible cook, and mistakes the advances of a fellow classmate as a fight challenge. Often runs to Chiaki for advice.
Chiaki Minami - The youngest, the smallest, and the smartest. She's merciless to all and quite openly looks down on Kana (though she reveres Haruka and calls her 'nee-sama'). Where Kana would like to laze around reading manga, Chiaki will be busy studying - naturally the two collide and bicker!

Being a slice-of-life show, there isn't an overall plot to speak of. Each episode is broken up into small skits involving the sisters and their supporting cast. One ep will have Kana misinterpreting the advances of a fellow classmate, while another will have Chiaki being chosen to pick nicknames for her classmates. The show greatly reminds me of Azumanga Daioh in its humour and presentation. One neat gimmick the show employs are extreme closeups of the sister's eyes and faces when they're angry or plotting something. The difference is the they're drawn with more realism (think Bible Black to get a rough idea of the character design) before zooming back out to the more cartoonish character design of the main show. It gets boring by the end of the series but it was a cute gag none the less.

Overall this was a fun, light show to watch. At 13 eps it's not very long, however there are two more sequels that follow which I'll review in the future (Minami-ke: Okawari and Minami-ke: Okaeri).
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Re: [Review] Minami-ke

Postby Slaigar » January 14th, 2009, 3:47 am

Minima-ke - Loved it. Far from being the best slice of life, but I still really enjoyed it.
Minami-ke Okawari - Was not funny at all. Horribly disappointing and I wish it didn't exist. I still watched it all...
Minami-ke Okaeri - So far it's redeeming itself from the last season. I still don't know what to expect though.

I liked the bible black faces, I thought it was hilarious, hehe.
Slaigar

Re: [Review] Minami-ke

Postby Ogre AN-21 » January 14th, 2009, 4:29 am

I love Minami-ke.

I laughed really hard on episode 2's Okaeri.

But man, I nearly fell asleep on Okawari. Watching through that was brutal... There was not enough Hosaka either.

And where the hell's my Minami-ke figurines?

I still want season 1's art-style.
Wishlist:
[ALTER]Fate T. Harlaown
[Megahouse]Isayama Yomi
[Kotobukiya]Xecty Ein
Ogre AN-21

Return to Anime