How do you pronounce 'manga'?

Manga with a hard 'a' as in 'tank'
43%
Manga rhymes with Honda
57%

Total votes : 7

How do you say manga?

Postby skicow » July 6th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Ok, I've always wondered about this and I just have to ask the people on this board how they pronounce manga?

And which is the correct way?!?

I pronounce it with a hard a as in tank.
skicow

Postby Susano » July 6th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Well, I generally just say comics. That way everyone I speak to knows what I'm talking about. ^_^ But it is supposed to be pronounced with an "uh" sound rather than the hard "a" sound. But I do find myself slipping to the hard "a" pronunciation from time to time.^_^; (This is taken from the chats I've had with native Japanese speakers anyways.)

Now, when it comes to anime, don't pronounce the a in anime the same way as manga- it should be pronounced like the a in apple. There were some wannabe, Dragonball generation teenaged girls who thought anime is supposed to be pronounced that way when my Hubby was in the local comic shop. It took both my Hubby and the only employee who works there that watches anime to tell they were pronouncing it incorrectly.
Susano

Postby val » July 6th, 2006, 4:25 pm

To get the MAN, think of your name but replace SHAU with MA (also sounds like ma in mama or pa in papa) and then end it with the sound of "N" like your name.
For GA, think of HA or MA or SHAU again but start it with the "G" sound, like the "G" sound in "GOD" or "GO".
SHAUN-HA > SHAUN-GA > MAN-GA

Also, the "A" in "ANIME" and the "A" in "MANGA" (both "MAN" and "GA") are the same sound. Not sure why Susano says it's different but there are only A E U I O (AH-EH-UE-E-O) in Japan, so every syllable in Japanese consists of one of these five sounds. The I sounds like a long E like "me" or "see" in English, and the O is a long O sound like "go" in English. The other 3 are pronounced as "AH", "EH", and "UE" (like blue or glue). You can also get the long "I" by combining AI (AHE). I don't know why it works that way though but AI sounds like the letter I when combined as one syllable sound.
val

Postby MrDisco » July 6th, 2006, 6:48 pm

I say "that funny looking comic book" :shock: :D
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Siye » July 6th, 2006, 7:50 pm

I like to say it how Val explained it.. "japanese pronounciation". But if people aren't familar with it, I will pronounce it in the "english" way, for the lack of confusion. So if I'm speaking in english... I'll say manga *western style*.. even though I prefer saying it "the japanese way".

Yeah confusing I know...
Siye

Postby Susano » July 6th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Val,

Hmm, that's odd. That's how a couple Japanese fellows I've spoken to pronounced it. Hmm, could it depend on the region as well do you think? Or maybe the fellows I spoke to just do not know how to pronounce thier own language- I won't say anything since I'm pretty bad myself when it comes to English.
Susano

Postby skicow » July 7th, 2006, 12:35 am

Thanks for the explanation val :)

I knew you would set me straight, and you also answered my other question about how to pronounce anime.

I will now try to say it the correct way, manga rhymes with shaun-ga ;)
skicow

Postby BennyFuentes » July 7th, 2006, 1:31 am

it´s good to be a spanish speaker, we don´t have accents in our pronuntiations :roll:
BennyFuentes

Postby val » July 7th, 2006, 1:39 am

Susano wrote:Val,

Hmm, that's odd. That's how a couple Japanese fellows I've spoken to pronounced it. Hmm, could it depend on the region as well do you think? Or maybe the fellows I spoke to just do not know how to pronounce thier own language- I won't say anything since I'm pretty bad myself when it comes to English.

I'm absolutely 100% sure. That's Japanese 101, like the alphabet.

Perhaps you're confusing what they told you. A-ni-me is 3 syllables while Man-ga is 2 syllables. the "N" sound follows the "AH" in MAN-GA but in A-ni-me, the "N" sounds different because it's the start of a syllable so Ah-Ne-meh, not Ahn-E-MEH like Mahn-Gah.
val

Postby val » July 7th, 2006, 2:27 am

Japanese sounds are very basic. Sounds, like AH, do not vary by word. In English, there are lots of ways to pronounce a sound but even if someone has a southern accent, the way "AH" is pronounced will be consistently the same sound for every word pronounced with a Southern accent.

Every syllable in japanese is based on:
A- E- U- I- O
KA-KE-KU-KI-KO
MA-ME-MU-MI-MO
PA-PE-PU-PI-PO
BA-BE-BU-BI-BO
RA-RE-RU-RI-RO

A is always AH. Other sounds for A do not exist in Japanese. In fact, that's what makes English so difficult for Japanese to learn because there are variations to AH. There are also no plurals, so there's no such thing as animes or mangas. It's 10 anime or 1 anime. For manga too, it's a dozen manga or zero manga or one manga.

Japanese is also monotone, so you never stress any syllable. Some foreigners will sort of "sing" Japanese sounds with varying pitches but Japanese does not vary. It's actually very basic, and everything goes back to A- E- U- I- O with very few exceptions, like AI sounds like the letter I but A-I is prounced ah-e.

If you look at any Japanese menu online that sorts by Alphabet or a Japanese dictionary, it will follow the same exact pattern like a grid with A- E- U- I- O at the top and then each variation in the first letter following under (like I typed above).

Actually, the way you explained anime sounds like animation in English. Perhaps, they were being nice and didn't want to correct you. It's also possible that the person is used to the English word for anime which is animation so he/she may think that's the proper response to a foreigner. For example, Japanese always change RA to LA when writting in English because they believe "LA" is "RA" when speaking to a foreigner. However, the same person will pronounce RA as RA to a Japanese. Like my name is Valerie but in Japanese, it's BA-RE-RI because that's as close as you can get with Japan's A-E-U-I-O. Interestingly, a Japanese will write my name the foreign way because I'm foreign, so the person will write BALELI in roman alphabet, even though I write BARERI. Hope that makes sense. Also, I tell people that they pronounced my name right even when they don't say it right. Otherwise, the person will keep trying and after a while, I feel bad so I just agree and tell the person "beeh-ri gu-do!". :wink:
Last edited by val on July 8th, 2006, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
val

Postby skicow » July 7th, 2006, 2:38 am

val wrote:

Japanese sounds are very basic. Sounds, like AH, do not vary by word. In English, there are lots of ways to pronounce a sound but even if someone has a southern accent, the way "AH" is pronounced will be consistently the same sound for every word pronounced with a Southern accent.

Every syllable in japanese is based on:
A- E- U- I- O
KA-KE-KU-KI-KO
MA-ME-MU-MI-MO
PA-PE-PU-PI-PO
BA-BE-BU-BI-BO
RA-RE-RU-RI-RO

A is always AH. Other sounds for A do not exist in Japanese. In fact, that's what makes English so difficult for Japanese to learn because there are variations to AH. There are also no plurals, so there's no such thing as animes or mangas. It's 10 anime or 1 anime. For manga too, it's a dozen manga or zero manga or one manga.

Japanese is also monotone, so you never stress any syllable. Some foreigners will sort of "sing" Japanese sounds with varying pitches but Japanese does not vary. It's actually very basic, and everything goes back to A- E- U- I- O with very few exceptions, like AI sounds like the letter I but A-I is prounced ah-e.

If you look at any Japanese menu online that sorts by Alphabet or a Japanese dictionary, it will follow the same exact pattern like a grid with A- E- U- I- O at the top and then each variation in the first letter following under (like I typed above).

Actually, the way you explained anime sounds like animation in English. Perhaps, they were being nice and didn't want to correct you. It's also possible that the person is used to the English word for anime which is animation so he/she may think that's the proper response to a foreigner. For example, Japanese always change RA to LA when writting in English because they believe "LA" is "RA" when speaking to a foreigner. However, the same person will pronounce RA as RA to a Japanese. Like my name is Valerie but in Japanese, it's BA-RE-RI because that's as close as you can get with Japan's A-E-U-I-O. Interestingly, a Japanese will write my name the foreign way because I'm foreign, so the person will write BALELI in roman alphabet, even though I write BARERI. Hope that makes sense. Also, I tell people that they prounced my name right even when they don't say it right. Otherwise, the person will keep trying and after a while, I feel bad so I just agree and tell the person "beeh-ri gu-do!". :wink:

Very cool val :)

I've always wanted to learn to read/write/speak Japanese ever since I first started reading manga about 20 years ago....but I'm to lazy and have never really gotten around too it :oops:
skicow

Postby Susano » July 7th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Val,

That makes sense. I most likely misheard them. I'm much more a visual learner than a talker- hence why I can still read Frnch but have no idea what someone is saying when the speak it. I do know the girls pronounced anime as "Ahn-E-MEH" rather than like "Ah-Ne-meh." Thanks for the primer on pronunciations.^_^

I really need to take a different language. It's been so long since I've had a language class and Japanese seems to be one I would be able to learn better than I could ever learn French or other romantic languages.
Susano

Re: How do you say manga?

Postby Syn13 » December 20th, 2008, 4:17 am

Hate to revive an old thread but I found this very interesting because in general media, people say "Munga" for some reason. The first time I heard "manga" was one of the originators for US distributions, Manga USA and I pronounced it "Man-Ga" ever since then.
Now that I'm a little older I can finally shed some light to this topic and why it makes more sense pronounce, "Man-Ga".
As Val mentioned, Japanese have their system, Hiragana, which is the basics for phonetically reading and writing Japanese.
Manga = まんが= Cartoons
The characters in Hiragana don't have any meaning thus their use for conversing but are a basic necessity for Japanese.
Basic Table:
あいうえお (a i u e o)
かきくけこ (ka ki ku ke ko)
さしすせそ (sa shi su se so)   
たちつてと (ta chi tsu te to)
なにぬねの (na ni nu ne no)
はひふへほ (ha hi fu he ho)
まめむめも (ma mi mu me mo)
やゆよ (ya yu yo)
らりるれろ (ra ri ru re ro)
わをん  (wa o n)
Modified characters:
がぎぐげご (ga gi gu ge go)
ざじずぜぞ (za ji zu ze zo)
だぢづでど (da di du de do)
ばびぶべぼ (be bi bu be bo)
ぱぴぷぺぽ (pa pi pu pe po)
So after a basic lesson in Hiragana, that makes Manga's pronunciation clearer. I think the Cantonese and Korean's way of saying Manga is similar as Korean's officially labeled it "Manhwa".
phew I'm done.
Syn13

Re: How do you say manga?

Postby Slaigar » December 20th, 2008, 6:12 am

Good post, Syn. I'm not well versed in any of it but I found it pretty interesting. Personally, I stuck with using Man-ga rather than Mun-guh just because the former sounded better to me (Yup, I'm pretty whitewashed, haha).
Slaigar

Return to Manga