Judgement - Fall Anime Season 2008

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Judgement - Fall Anime Season 2008

Postby Arcturus » November 9th, 2008, 7:02 am

It is now November, what are your thoughts on the variety of shows this fall.

TOARU MAJUTSU NO INDEX - Probably one of the best shows of the fall season. I am hooked on it. Really a emotion tugger this one and love the original story.

HYAKKO - Nice (fake) slice of school life drama. Interesting characters. I wish school life was actually that interesting and fun.

KEMEKO DELUXE - Funny fanservice type of show. Sort of a mix of NUKU NUKU and FLCL with a dash of youthful yearning and unrequited love.

TORADORA - Seems to be the most popular show. I liked it and it is interesting, but I still like INDEX better.

MACADEMI WASSHOI! - What to say.....guilty pleasure.......if you 'love' BLADE then you have to watch this. It is even more over the top than KEMEKO DELUXE. It is sad to say that the fansub groups are not giving it the love. Only two episodes have been translated. The censorship has been discussed in another topic. That does put a negative on things, as the real furry animals look pretty stupid. Worse than that unmentionable show that has a girl spinning a ball in the air, to censor certian scenes. Without the fansub support, we probably won't see any DVD versions or raws. The horror of it. I have my fingers crossed that Himatsubushi will continue with the show despite their very slow turnover time.

CHAOS HEAD - I give this one high marks for story concept. I am hooked on it also. I can't wait for each episode to come out.

EVE NO JIKAN - This one was a surprise, and not what I thought it would be. Some would consider it boring and it is not a fanservice show. If you like Asimov then you would like this show. This could easily be a prequel for Battlestar Galactica, considering the subject matter of the series.

MICHIKO TO HATCHIN - This one is a sleeper hit surprise for me. Takes place somewhere in Central America I think. A little bit over the top, a little bit of pathos, and a little bit of a road show. Makes for a little bit of a nice show that is different. If only more of the fansubbers would realize it. It too is stuck in fansub hell, only two episodes translated.

YOZAKURA QUARTET - Enjoyable show, but nothing I would rave about, just yet.

TYTANIA - I am always a sucker for space opera's (GALLFORCE, CAPTAIN TYLOR, and CREST OF THE STARS). I have to say this though, I have only seen one episode, fansubs suck here too. That being said, no female characters of any mention is a big detractor for any show. Any show needs a major women lead in it, if only to bring some beauty to the show. Female cut-outs just don't make the bar.

ROSARIO AND VAMPIRE - CAPU2 - I didn't see the first season. It is an enjoyable show to watch, and it has fanservice too, but nothing to rave about either.

KUROSHITSUJI - Is it a "J" or a "Z", seems no one knows for sure. Interesting show and premise, and CLAMP like artwork. I will be watching it again, if only to see the bad guys get hellishly screwed.

JIGOKU SHOUJO 3 - Guess this is Hell Girl 3, I haven't seen 1 and 2 except for a couple of episodes, so I don't know any of the back story. Hell Girl herself doesn't seem to be a very sympathetic character, as she sends the good and bad to hell.

AKANE IRO NO SOMARU SAKA - Seems a show of promise. It appears to be another school slice of life show, but I think that there is more going on. The show in some respects reminds me of GODANNAR.

KANNAGI - Interesting premise and some fanservice. Haven't seen much, but I will keep watching.

SHIKABANE HIME AKA - Undecided on this one, have to see more episodes

KUROZUKA - Reminds me of CLAMP also. Interesting begining.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Re: Judgement - Fall Anime Season 2008

Postby DualSoul » November 9th, 2008, 9:41 am

Personally, I hate Toaru Majutsu no Index. The animation is superb, but the pacing is horrible (episode 3 and 4 strike me as the best examples of this). I'm still following it however, for better or for worse.
DualSoul

Postby Arcturus » November 9th, 2008, 6:10 pm

I didn't notice any pacing problems, but that might be just me. The main problem I have had with 'Toaru Majutsu no Index' is not with the anime, but with the sub of it by Eclipse. Every single episode I have had significant sub drift, which means constant stopping and starting of the video to get the sub to sync with the video. Of all the animes at the OP that I mention INDEX was the only one I had major technical problems with. Had minor problems with Kuroshitsuji, but no where near INDEX's problems.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby shawn » November 9th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Arcturus wrote:The main problem I have had with 'Toaru Majutsu no Index' is not with the anime, but with the sub of it by Eclipse. Every single episode I have had significant sub drift, which means constant stopping and starting of the video to get the sub to sync with the video.

I thought they were hard-subbed, most of them. So does stop/start the video helps?
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Location: Latitude 50° 48' 5'' North Longitude 1° 4' 35'' West

Postby Shinobi2u » November 9th, 2008, 11:46 pm

Index Really well done. Very high production quality

Toradora It's like Shakugan no Shana to me minus all the cool fighting scenes. Taiga's voice actress is the same as Shana's and the name of the boy is very similar as well. I am enjoying it.

Kannagi I really really like this show. I am hooked on that intro. Premise is very interesting. I love the character designs and Nagi. She's just great.

Hell Girl 3 This show is getting super weird now. The first was really great. The second had an interesting take on sending people to hell. Frankly, I don't understand why there was a reason to make a 3rd season other than riding the hype machine. Sad to say that I'm disappointed in this. Enmai Ai is not an unsympathetic character. If you watched the other seasons, people who didn't even deserve to get sent to hell had an emotional impact on her and there's spoiler concerning that. Unfortunately, she's bound to the pact. Season 2 pissed me off a lot - that damn town.

Black Butler I think it's an "j". I really love this show. Artstyle for this is just top notch and it's so pretty to look at. The characters themselves have a lot of personality as well. Character design is really good for this one and I'm interested to know more of the story.

Rosario Vampire I really dislike this show. I don't mind fanservice here and there, but if there's nothing else to back up the series then I tire real easily. Ikkitousen is loaded w/ fanservice but there were really great fighting scenes. The girls in the series aren't even smoldering hot enough to warrant my interest and the lacking personality and good character design is enough for me. Plus, I hate that wannabe pop choreography intro. Husband is watching it because he's seen a good portion so he might as well finish it.

Kemeko Such a hilarious show!!!! I can't get enough of the ending. Makes me want to start doing some aerobics.

Tales of the Abyss I have never played the game completely. Initially, I was really into it because I liked the character design and Luke looks hot. Then, the game started and it seemed like a never ending journey of Luke's b*tching. It was only 30 minutes into the game, but I turned it off and never looked bad. Watching the anime which is the same as the storyline and pretty much cinematics in the game has perked my interest. I don't have to deal with his whining as much and it's enough for me to want to really give the game a go and put up with him.

Click on signature to visit site
Shinobi2u

Postby Slaigar » November 10th, 2008, 3:53 am

I agree, Kannagi is great. I'm hooked on the show and look forward to each release.
Slaigar

Postby MakubeX » November 12th, 2008, 1:17 am

Thanks for all the feedback, I've been somewhat out of the loop on new shows and was wondering what I should watch next. Just finished watching Code Geass R2 and will probably start checking out Toaru Majutsu no Index soon. And although its an old series, I just recently started watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying it :)
MakubeX

Postby Arcturus » November 13th, 2008, 5:21 am

shawn wrote:
Arcturus wrote:The main problem I have had with 'Toaru Majutsu no Index' is not with the anime, but with the sub of it by Eclipse. Every single episode I have had significant sub drift, which means constant stopping and starting of the video to get the sub to sync with the video.

I thought they were hard-subbed, most of them. So does stop/start the video helps?

Really don't know what is causing the problem. I have the most up to date version of CCCP running, Usually have no problem with Eclipse subs. I have to physically stop the video, then drag the video runtime to the point where the drift became noticeable, then start it from that point. For this instance it seems to work. But every single episode from Eclipse has the same problem and I usually have to do it several times during the each episode. INDEX is that good, that I am willing to put up with this problem.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby MakubeX » November 13th, 2008, 5:46 am

Arcturus wrote:
shawn wrote:

Really don't know what is causing the problem. I have the most up to date version of CCCP running, Usually have no problem with Eclipse subs. I have to physically stop the video, then drag the video runtime to the point where the drift became noticeable, then start it from that point. For this instance it seems to work. But every single episode from Eclipse has the same problem and I usually have to do it several times during the each episode. INDEX is that good, that I am willing to put up with this problem.

Are you watching the HD or xvid versions? I've experienced similar problems with other HD fansubs (soul eater) cuz my computer is quite old and can't handle these high quality files, which is why I'm restricted to watching the xvid versions =(
MakubeX

Return to Anime