Why does Gantz remind me of Battle Royale?

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Why does Gantz remind me of Battle Royale?

Postby Syn13 » August 22nd, 2008, 5:59 am

Aside from the two other new manga I picked up today(Dance in the Vampire Bund & Dragon Sister), Gantz really reminds me of Battle Royale but instead of killing each other, they are hunting Aliens. Anyway couldn't read this manga in public because after 20 pages, there's nudity for atleast 5 pages but got home and read it and it had a real interesting start to it.

Very happy with the first volume as it is creepy but all uncensored, DH really did a good job as well except that I don't know why they always always stick the damn "Parental Advisory" right onto the cover when they are already shrink wrapped...
Syn13

Re: Why does Gantz remind me of Battle Royale?

Postby Slaigar » August 22nd, 2008, 7:02 am

The stickers all come off easy but it is definitely an annoyance. I got a ton of DH books and they always do that. Except for Kurasagi Corpse Delivery Service and Mail have the stickers on the outside, those books have different cover materials would get damaged from a sticker.

Yeah, Gantz reminded me of Battle Royale, too. With frequent resupply of new characters to be killed off constantly. Honestly, I don't think it's as good as BR. However, Gantz holds its own with girls & guns, blood & guts and constant action that doesn't fizzle. The title fits DH perfectly.

If you manage to stay with it, the first phase is epic. Definitely worth the read and I enjoyed it a lot. Downside of gantz: the plot is almost non-existant and it gets quite repetitive. Also, I'm not a big fan of the second phase (anyone wanna count the ridiculous amount of forms that 100point boss had?). It's only after 276 chapters that they give us an inkling of plot. Regardless of the downsides, Gantz is great for what it is. Turn off your brain and watch some awesome action unfold.
Slaigar

Postby Syn13 » August 22nd, 2008, 8:14 am

As long as its waaaaaaaaaaaay~ better than Ikkitousen from Tokyopop, I'll be happy. Has this been out for a while? A couple of months ago, my comic guy said he couldn't find it for me until I went today and he told me that DIamond Preview has only been soliciting it recently.

Got nothing to do except to read the rest of my stuff I picked up(Pumpkin Scissors, Rose Hip Zero, FMA, Shiki Tsukai[dunno why I have this but oh well], Junk, Welcome to the NHK, Alive and some other one that I can never get the title right).

Damn it, couldn't read Gantz tonight so I pulled out the next one which was Dance in the Vampire Bund and what do I get for the first couple of pages, a naked loli vampire that wears nothing but panties and a revealing cape...but then friend spoiled me about the vampire loli haha!

Oh yea also got 2 months worth of Anime Insider + Diamond Preview to check out as well ;)
Syn13

Postby Slaigar » August 22nd, 2008, 6:11 pm

It's only a recent release for here in North America (June maybe?).

Oh, it's way better than Ikki Tousen. Probably the same amount of story, but the action and fanservice is executed much better.
Slaigar

Postby Syn13 » August 22nd, 2008, 6:15 pm

haha good, and the translations don't suck as well hahahahaha....no I really mean it.
Syn13

Return to Manga