30%
Yes, if the price is low
40%
No, DVD is good enough
30%

Total votes : 10

Going for hi-def?

Postby Firestorm ZERO » March 19th, 2008, 8:41 pm

While new shows will most likely be put in blu-ray now that the format war is over.

Just wondering, how many plan to re-buy old series that you bought on DVD, if there is a HD version out?
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Re: Going for hi-def?

Postby MakubeX » March 20th, 2008, 5:29 am

Regular DVDs are sufficient for me. I mainly buy DVDs to support series I like and to collect and display the cool artboxes that they are usually accompanied with :P
I hardly ever rewatch my anime so I don't need to upgrade my anime collection to hi-def
MakubeX

Postby Slaigar » March 20th, 2008, 5:38 am

I don't plan on re-buying old ones, as I am fine with just DVD. However, I'll be picking up the blue ray for some of the newer titles.
Slaigar

Postby DualSoul » March 20th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Same as Slaigar.
DualSoul

Postby Susano » March 21st, 2008, 2:01 am

It really depends on the show for me. Certain ones I would if the release is significantly better than the DVD version. But others I'll likely just wait on until it's cheap before upgrading the release. The advantage is that there are some shows I never got on dvd, so Blu Ray versions will be great when they come out.
Susano

Postby BennyFuentes » March 21st, 2008, 6:29 pm

I´m not planning on re-buying either, some dvd players already have a HD-scalator plug-in for regular dvds to play in high def using the HDMI cable, I have a Samsung dvd player with that plugin and the anime dvds I have look amazing on my HDTV, really sharp ( scalated to 1080i ).

however I bought Paprika on Blue-Ray a few weeks ago, and it looks AMAZING at 1080p, I´m not planning on buying alot of BR-D because they´re still very expensive over here, only the ones I´m really interested in.

However, I did re-buy an old dvd I previously had, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, I know the movie sucks big time, but watching it at full-hd is an amazing experience.
BennyFuentes

Postby Onegai » May 2nd, 2008, 4:20 pm

Will only buy HD versions of my absolute favourites.
Onegai

Postby jkno » May 3rd, 2008, 5:49 am

For now just DVD, maybe in the future will go hi-def as well. Remember guys, las week we had the video tapes, yesterday was the DVD and today Bluray/HDVD. Tomorrow is very close...
"Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away"

My collection
jkno

Postby MrDisco » June 15th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Undecided. I stopped buying dvds a while ago (the Maria-Sama pre-order is the first new title in a long time) in anticipation of HiDef but I'm going to wait and see. I know stalwarts like Evangelion will be re-released but i want to see how the studios how handle it. i definitely don't want to be caught buying the first batch of discs and have to put up with glitches or worse, re-released 'limited edition' variants shortly after.
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Return to Anime