sandyaqi (concerning Kozu Illustration Works II)

Discussion of fakes / bootlegs of art books. Get rid of them like the plague!

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

sandyaqi (concerning Kozu Illustration Works II)

Postby cbeley » January 9th, 2008, 2:57 am

On something of a whim I tried searching for this book on google and came across this ebay auction -->
Code: Select all
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stella-ARIA-AQUA-Illustration-Works-II-Art-Book-KOZUE_W0QQitemZ140143623452QQcmdZViewItem .

The total price is better than any place else that would have it (no one seems to actually have it in stock, just on backorder), but the price, and the sellers location, China, worries me. Looking at the seller's negative and neutral feedback, there is no cause for allarm concerning bootlegs or chance of running into problems (http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=s ... y&ref=home). It's just the fact that it's china, ebay, and nice price that really worries me.

Any thoughts, experiences, etc. about this author and particlar auction woudl be highly appreciated. One thing that does seem odd is it is said to be a soft cover, when I'm pretty sure it isen't (and it dosen't look like it in the pictures). The 3rd book (which I own) is a hardcover type of thing, so I would assume the 2nd should be, especially when looking at the covers. It's probably just a typo. If I were to contact the seller to ask questions, my two questions would be to make sure it has the plastic slip cover and that it is indeed hardcover.

I really like Amano Kouze's works and loved the third book, so if this is a legitimate sale, it would really make my day.

EDIT: I sent a little message asking the seller about the plastic slipcover and the cover being a hardcover, not a softcover. I also asked if he could ensure the authenticity of the book. At the moment, I have no real strong reason to believe it is a bootleg...I just hope no one here goes ahead and buys the two the seller has :S
Last edited by cbeley on January 9th, 2008, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wooo~ Signature goes here! 42~
cbeley

Re: sandyaqi (concerning Kozu Illustration Works II)

Postby H-Gurl » January 9th, 2008, 3:09 am

This seller has lots of fake art books, so I wouldn't trust that auction.

This artist has never released an offical art book!
http://cgi.ebay.com/To-Heart-2-Leaf-illustrations-by-Tatsuki-Amaduyu-Art_W0QQitemZ140179688853QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1345QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

*edit*
This book was released in Japan, but it was limited, cost 3150 yen, and had a slip cover on the front:
http://www.wretch.cc/blog/kinexecute&article_id=8362341

He even has the fake Flamboyant
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Burst-Angel-Flamboyant-Ugetsu-Hakua-Anime-Art-Book_W0QQitemZ140177855908QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1345QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Shana book with CD-Rom....dead giveaway to a fake ver
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shakugan-no-SHANA-Collection-Anime-Guide-BOOK-II-OST_W0QQitemZ140159938526QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1345QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Jigoku Shoujo fake art book (has tons more content than the Japanese original of 88 pages)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shakugan-no-SHANA-Collection-Anime-Guide-BOOK-II-OST_W0QQitemZ140159938526QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1345QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
I have no idea what you're talking about...
...so here's a bunny with a cellphone on it's head.
H-Gurl
Humble Follower

Postby cbeley » January 9th, 2008, 3:12 am

thank you so much! I actually sent a message asking about the authenticity. See these, it will be interesting to see how the seller replies.

I thought it was a tad too good to be true :( I guess this means that we may be able to assume a bootleg version of this book is floating around sadly. That just really irritates me that someone is profiting off of amano Kouze's work (it bugs me for other people...but, I just really like her work).

EDIT: I'll try to remember to not directly link to the auctions again too ;-)

EDIT2: What really concerns me is how this person has 99.8% positive feedback. Bah, ebay is a mess. :S
cbeley

Postby zero4us » January 9th, 2008, 3:28 am

cbeley

Another person on ebay that you need to watched out because he also has the same item as sandyaqi is bunnybunnytoy. His/her items are very similar and most of them are fake!

If you search the artbook by the name of 'range murata, CLAMP' etc. it will always have these 2 persons all the time!

At one time bunnybunnytoy even sold Kozue illustration Works for 7 dollars!

The best way to check if that item is fake is to look at the cover, since the cover of that book came from either Aria premium poster book 1 and 2 (because i own both poster books that's why i know it)

Hope that help!
zero4us

Postby zero4us » January 9th, 2008, 3:32 am

cbeley

The best bet to buy previous work of kozue amano is from the seller called JAPANAVI, most of his books are genuine since i shop with him for quite a while. He also has many rare artbooks as well.

The letdown is that his shipping costs are quite expensive

I think that he still have your book avaliable so you can still buy it at anytime from now
zero4us

Postby cbeley » January 9th, 2008, 3:36 am

The best way to check if that item is fake is to look at the cover, since the cover of that book came from either Aria premium poster book 1 and 2 (because i own both poster books that's why i know it)

The cover on the "fake" (as far as we know, but we can assume it is) in the pictures of that auction is correct. Take a look at http://www.hlj.com/product/MAG27140 if you don't believe me. The fake looks just like the real version from those pictures. So yeah, that isen't the best way at all to tell...

A bunch of the pictures in the aria poster books are in the three art books (though, there doesn't seem to be more than 1 double in the poster book 3 I'm getting int he mail with the art book three I have ^^).
cbeley

Postby zero4us » January 9th, 2008, 3:40 am

Does his book have obi thing? if not i still would not buy that book, but yeah you are right about the cover. It is my mistake hehe!

But since his item is 90 percent fake. I am still not so sure about it!
zero4us

Postby cbeley » January 9th, 2008, 3:44 am

zero4us wrote:Does his book have obi thing? if not i still would not buy that book, but yeah you are right about the cover. It is my mistake hehe!

But since his item is 90 percent fake. I am still not so sure about it!

Lol, don't worry, my mindset changed instantly after h-gurl's post. ;-) I'm just really curious what response I'm going to get from that seller...
cbeley

Postby zero4us » January 9th, 2008, 3:47 am

He probably say........

MY ITEM IS REAL GENUINE, YOU CAN SEE IT FROM MY EXCELLENT FEEDBACK!

or something like that.....

Just joking!
zero4us

Postby H-Gurl » January 9th, 2008, 3:50 am

Looking at his other inventory, I see lots of cheap fake PVC figures too.
I'm sure he will lie to you about the book ^_^;;
I have no idea what you're talking about...
...so here's a bunny with a cellphone on it's head.
H-Gurl
Humble Follower

Postby val » January 9th, 2008, 11:11 am

Be sure to move this to the fake art book forum.
val

Postby cbeley » January 9th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Yesterday I sent the following message to sandyaqi:
Hi, I just had a few questions about this book. First of all, you say that it is softcover in your description, but this should be a hardcover book (the pictures look like it is hardcover also, and I own the third volume of this book, and it is hard cover). Also, it should have a plastic slip cover. Does what you are selling come with this plastic slip cover that the book goes into?

Mainly, I'm asking about the authenticity of the book. Can you ensure me that this is not a bootleg and is authentic and brand new?

Thanks a lot! I look froward to a reply.

Today I just received a reply, which was the following:

hi, many thanks for your questions, but dont worry about it, yes, this version is anuthentic and made in japan, and with hard cover. we have already changed it in our description. many thanks again. see U

The seller gave me a very direct answer. I almost wonder if the seller even realizes he or she is selling non-authentic goods....I'm sort of tempted to reply with what h-gurl said and ask for an explanation for fun....

EDIT: I also noticed that after I sent my message the following information was added to the top of the auction page:
ublished by Mag Garden April 12, 2005 and PRINTED IN JAPAN, ISBN4-86127-140-1 c0979

At least, I don't think that was there before. Also, did the real version come with a calendar poster inside?

If the seller is lieing, he or she is lieing very blatantly or is very mis-informed...or it's authentic. Even if it was though, I don't want to support someone who is selling bootlegs to begin with.
cbeley

Postby zero4us » January 10th, 2008, 3:19 am

what do you mean by calendar poster, cbeley?
zero4us

Return to Fake / Bootleg Art Books