Ugetsu Hakua Flamboyant

Discussion of fakes / bootlegs of art books. Get rid of them like the plague!

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Ugetsu Hakua Flamboyant

Postby Effini » October 15th, 2007, 12:42 am

Is this auction for a bootleg copy of Flamboyant by the artist Ugetsu Hakua?

Code: Select all
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160167178076&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

The cover looks different then the one I have that I know is legit because I won my autographed copy at Anime Expo 2006 from the artist himself.
Effini

Re: Ugetsu Hakua Flamboyant

Postby Mr. Lobster » October 15th, 2007, 2:12 am

It looks very low quality and the pages are inconsistent in format. How does the inside of your book compare?

Next time can you only post the Auction ID instead of a direct link?
Mr. Lobster

Postby Susano » October 18th, 2007, 2:34 am

That's an absolute bootleg right there. The real art book should be soft cover, have a tan slip cover and a vertical obi with the girl from the cover printed on it. That bootleg is hard cover, has no slip cover, and has a horizontal obi. Not to mention the print quality is piss poor looking in the sample photos.
Susano

Postby asgard » November 9th, 2007, 11:39 pm

Oh lord... and the sad part is someone did buy it :(
asgard

Postby uncensored » November 25th, 2007, 8:07 pm

I saw that artbook too. I wanted to ask the same question after seeing that it has the wrong cover. I might have bought it if I had the money and didn't checked my artbook delieverer of choice. Although a fantastic artbook it seems.
uncensored

Postby zero4us » December 4th, 2007, 12:23 am

From what i heard, some companies in china does have a license to make artbooks in their own language. However i am not so sure about this book. Some of my friends said it is genuine, others think it is fake. So in this case i really don't want to risk myself buying it!
zero4us

Postby val » December 31st, 2007, 5:41 am

Licensed books are typically translated. Otherwise, it's imported.

This book is a definite copy & a fake.

Plus, Ugetsu links to every professionally published book that has his art, even if he simply drew the cover. He is an Amazon affiliate too, and you can find all the books, even magazines w/one page by Ugestu, linked on his blog. Also, people would definitely know about it if it was a professional release. In Japan, they invested a lot into promoting flamboyant before it released. They ran ads in magazines, sold promotional goods, and had flyers in all stores that would stock it. They even had posters up in train stations announcing it's release date. You couldn't miss the news online or offline when it hit stores.

Also, it is too soon for the publisher to sell licensing for that book, and there's really not any content to translate, so a company would have to license the art found in the book. They would have to pay the original publisher license and the company/individual who is the true owner each piece of art in the book, such as the artist, anime studios, third party publishers who owned art in the book, etc. I don't think the publisher or others who own the art's copyright would license Ugetu's art from that book for Chinese version this soon (maybe in 3-5 years) because it is still profitable to resell it with other JP products. A license wouldn't make sense either because the original can still be imported at a pretty low price for the authentic book's high quality.
val

Postby zero4us » December 31st, 2007, 7:38 am

Thank you for your information, val!
zero4us

Return to Fake / Bootleg Art Books