2007-07-31 - Server move completed!

Important info will be posted here

2007-07-31 - Server move completed!

Postby Firestorm ZERO » July 31st, 2007, 2:46 pm

If you are reading this you are in the new server.

Sorry for the huge delay but it is finally done. I forgot to leave my computer on to upload the files to the new server which resulted in me to upload everything in the morning. As well there was an update for phpBB so I had to update the board as well.

The board should be a little more zippier.

As well, I ask that you use the attachment feature if possible especially for the bootleg section. As if the image is removed from the other site or the website is down, then a post telling to look at this picture to look/watch out for will be a broken link (this will most likely occur to older threads).

EDIT: Also dunno if anyone noticed. I touched up my favicon a while back :)
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Re: 2007-07-31 - Server move completed!

Postby MrDisco » August 1st, 2007, 5:30 pm

Firestorm ZERO wrote:EDIT: Also dunno if anyone noticed. I touched up my favicon a while back :)

I noticed.
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby shawn » August 1st, 2007, 5:41 pm

You mean it's no longer there on the side when we post a reply...
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Location: Latitude 50° 48' 5'' North Longitude 1° 4' 35'' West

Postby val » August 2nd, 2007, 5:13 pm

I hate to say this but I think DreamHost is as bad as the last temp host in the UK. The server is speedy compared to the last host but it keeps vanishing for extended periods.

Unfortunately, connecting with your new web host's network has been inconsistent since you moved. This is not related to your domain name because I timeout 2-3 hops before the connection even reaches your server. I couldn't access your site a couple hours ago, and 2 times yesterday. When it vanishes, it lasts a long, long time. This never happened w/your original host, and it's not normal. I have experienced this problem 3 times in the last 24 hours, and each incident occurred hours apart, so it wasn't back-to-back. I tried to post 5 or 6 times yesterday, but I could not post 2 messages because I submitted the form to find the site was gone. I couldn't even recover my posts by going backwards, and I'm too lazy to type them again.

To ensure the outage issue wasn't related to your domain relocation, I did a trace w/your IP address using VisualRoute's server in New York. I did a trace when the site vanished to be sure the problem was not with my provider. Although my browser would timeout trying to connect, VisualRoute's New York server could connect with your IP but 10% to 50% of packets were lost when VisualRoute connected to DreamHost's network. Unfortunately, I did not do screenshots when the packets were being lost but I tried again when the site was up to see the response time, and there are consistent problems with the network even when the site is speedy & visible.

Unfortunately, there are instabilities w/DreamHost's network which likely causes a failure and restart after a certain period of time or during peak activity on their network. Even when the connection appears speedy from my side, VisualRoute shows the connection as becoming erratic upon entering Dreamhost's network. I took these screenshots to show you:
http://www.anichara.com/fsz/fsz-dreamhost.jpg
http://www.anichara.com/fsz/fsz-dreamhost2.jpg
val

Postby Firestorm ZERO » August 2nd, 2007, 5:39 pm

Dreamhost was the original host that the forum was on (the very first). I then moved to fnf because it was cheaper. I moved back to Dreamhost due to low cost again. I know of some better hosts of course but the problem is obviously money.

Are you using Firefox btw? I can go back from typing a thread and go forward and the message remains (as long as I don't close the tab or go back and click a link clearing my forward history).

The majority of the people coming here (according to the stats) are from North America (about 80%, around 15% is Europe and I guess the remaining are Asia and Australia). So that's maybe why no one else is experiencing any problems. Is anyone else experiencing slow downs or timeouts? If so, please send me/post a traceroute.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby val » August 2nd, 2007, 8:49 pm

I am using Firefox but after you click retry a couple times because the server is taking too long to respond, it's impossible to go back. If Firefox waited as long as VisualRoute to get a response, then I would eventually connect but the browser gives up while VisualRoute sends multiple attempts between hops to get a proper rating on response time.

Being that I'm not used to this problem, I had no reason to save my posts locally before clicking submit, nor did I expect the form to be blank after I clicked 'retry' multiple times. I even waited on the page, and tried again every 5 to 20 minutes before giving up after 5-6 reattempts. I have an incredibly fast connection, and two computers. I am timing out on Windows Vista w/both IE & Firefox too. Although it's not consistent, it happened 3 times in a 24 hour period.

The trace route is being done from a server in New York, not Japan. It was getting a 50% packet loss when I couldn't connect. I always use VisualRoute's server in the US & UK when I can't connect. The service intentionally uses servers in other countries to pinpoint the true source of connectivity issues. Try it, and you'll see that DreamHost's network has problems. I really don't think it's just me, and to ensure that it was not just me, I didn't trace it from Japan. If you look at the screenshots, it clearly shows the path from New York to Caliornia, and that the connection is behaving erratically as it enters DreamHost's network. I understand the issue of cost, but I think a web host should not fail like this unless it's a FREE host. Steve uses NoMonthlyFees for $99 a year w/domain registration included. We never have connection issues. Although the tech people are not very good.

EDIT: Steve pays $35 a year with his host, but they now charge $99. However, he's still on the $35 a year plan because it was promised for life.
val

Postby val » August 2nd, 2007, 9:12 pm

VisualRoute is a great tool for determining if a web host is truly up to par: http://www.visualroute.com/

From their site:
VisualRoute helps determine if a connectivity problem is due to an ISP, the Internet, or the web site you are trying to reach, and pinpoints the network where a problem occurs.

VisualRoute 2007 is available in seven specialized editions, enabling on-demand and continuous connectivity analysis from a single computer, a remote customer desktop, a remote server, or multiple points on a global network.

I use their demo on their UK site and their US site to test a connection. They used to have one in Japan but it's gone.
The demo is here: http://visualroute.visualware.com/
To use the demo, you must allow Java and also download the plugin. The plugin will prompt you if Java is enabled.

You can trace from various points at their various sites around the world to see where the failure occurs.

If I am the only person having problems (unlikely), then I'll deal with it. I just thought you might want to know.
val

Postby Firestorm ZERO » August 2nd, 2007, 10:34 pm

val wrote:I am using Firefox but after you click retry a couple times because the server is taking too long to respond, it's impossible to go back.

After it times out you should get the default error page like "Unable to Connect" or "Timed Out" and then just click back and it should be back at the reply topic page with your entry (as I had this happen on other very busy forums).

val wrote:Being that I'm not used to this problem, I had no reason to save my posts locally before clicking submit, nor did I expect the form to be blank after I clicked 'retry' multiple times. I even waited on the page, and tried again every 5 to 20 minutes before giving up after 5-6 reattempts.

You aren't clicking refresh while on the reply topic page right? If so, then of course it will clear the form. If you click refresh on the error page, it should ask you if you want to re-submit the post data.

I did traceroutes with other traceroute sites in USA and Japan and they seem fine. I had some at high pings but no packet loss of 50%. I have to assume it is the routing of VisualRoute to DH.

So far no one else has complained of any problems. If anyone does and reading this, please PM me or post a reply.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Return to Announcements