Some manga titles I started reading..

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Some manga titles I started reading..

Postby MrDisco » June 5th, 2007, 8:52 pm

So I've been in the mood to read up on some manga (till now I just haven't had time and lost interest in manga/anime).

Unbalance x Unbalance: This is a Korean manwa in the ecchi genre :) Normally I don't bother with manwa but the art caught my eye (ok who am I kidding it was the boobs and attractive females :P). Basic plot line: uptight, man-hating teacher (who has the looks of a super model) puts up with the delinquent antics of her (younger) male student. The sexual tension rises between the two. Toss in gang fights, misunderstandings, and love triangles and you have yourself a story. Warning: [spoiler]in one chapter the male characters smack around the females[/spoiler]

Watashi no Messiah-Sama: This is sort of like a cross between MAR and any number of CLAMP titles. Here you have a weakling boy who is terrible at everything but has his head buried in fantasy. One day he meets a mysterious girl who proclaims she is his Shield and he is the Saviour. She pulls him into her world and the adventure begins. The CLAMP aspect comes from the art style of the male characters.

Yume de Aetara - "If I See You In My Dream". Have you read Maison Ikkoku? If so then you have the description for Yume. A complete rip-off of the same theme, but not nearly as well done. Still its fun to read.

Yume Kira Dream Shoppe - These are a series of short stories involving an angle (for lack of a better term) and his stuffed animal partner. Together they grant wishes to creatures in exchange for something precious to them. At first I thought this would be an evil title, but it turns out to be a feel-good series of shorts. Not much substance, but good for a quick read through
Last edited by MrDisco on June 6th, 2007, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Deibi Manabu » June 6th, 2007, 5:04 am

Never read nor seen any of these, but if you like 'em, then it's all good! ;)
Deibi Manabu

Postby MrDisco » June 8th, 2007, 11:33 pm

A new one to add to the list:

D.Gray-man
This manga follows the usual formula:
a young boy is tasked with saving the world and he alone has the latent power to defeat the evil villain. he does things his way, and after each successive boss he gains more power (toss in a few defeats to keep him humble).

This takes places in the 19th century. A demon has arisen who takes the souls of humans who have given to despair and inserts them into machines of his construction ('akuma'). Opposing him are exorcists who have a power called 'innocence' which gives them powers and weaponry. there's a slight bit of religious themes here, but the formula is the same. you'll read through it and see the similarities with Bleach,Naruto, and Evangelion.
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby MrDisco » June 11th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Had some time on the weekend so I picked up
"To-Love-Ru", written by Yabuki Kentaro
This is Uresei Yatsura meets Every other romantic comedy :|

An alien girl, Lala, comes to earth while being pursued by shadowy men. Meanwhile our hero, Yuuki Rito, is in love with a fellow classmate (Haruna Sairenji) but doesn't have the courage to confess. Of course Haruna is attracted to him but is to shy to work up the courage to talk to him.

Enter Lala who promptly declares she's going to marry Rito. Why? Turns out she's a princess who has run away from her father and his lineup of marriage suitors. Oh and she's hot. And she has a devil tail. Did I mention she comes from the planet Deviluke? And her last name is Satalin (not much of a stretch from Satan). Lala has a knack for inventions, one of which is a small sidekick which provides the clothing for Lala (so naturally if he gets tired, Lala's clothes disappear leaving for much ecchiness ;) )

Thus our love triangle is setup and we get a bunch of characters who pop up who either love Rito, love Lala, or both.

The art is rather generic and so far there's nothing really unique to the story.

she is the princess of planet Deviluke, whose king rules much of the known universe. She comes to earth by teleporting out of her spaceship, right into the bathtub of Yuuki Rito, our unfortunate hero (by which I of course mean the luckiest-s.o.b. in the world). I say unfortunate because he already has a girl he likes (the second girl in the above image, Haruna-chan) and because of a startling revelation in chapter 6, which I won't spoil for you here. Since Lala is literally the heir to the entire universe, many suitors want her hand, and one by one they come to Earth to see this person who has so bewitched the princess.

Yabuki's drawing skills have not deteriorated after the manga that made him famous (as opposed to someone who drew the story of a feudal Japanese swordsman), and the girls in TO LOVE Ru are as alluring as the ones in Black Cat. More so, in fact, since this is a VERY fanservicy manga. Just in the first chapter alone, we see Lala naked and Haruna-chan in a swimsuit. Lala gets naked again in the second chapter, and Haruna-chan shows up a few times in her underwear. Chapter 7 takes it a step further and borders on hentai - I love Yabuki's girls so I'm not complaining one single bit, but it was a little surprising since there was absolutely no fanservice in Black Cat.

The story so far is, as I said, cliched and not that interesting, but it's pretty funny. Lala's guard-captain Zastin, who looks a lot like Creed, turns out to be nothing like Creed. Lala also has a number of inventions, and they too bring some humour into the story. Rito's expressions when he gets into trouble because of Lala is great, and did I mention Zastin? Zastin x dog = win.

Although it's still pretty early in its run, I already think TO LOVE Ru will become far superior to Black Cat or Yamato Gensouki, Yabuki Kentaro's previous works. It's easy to see the influence of a new writer as the jokes are actually funny this time around. If you like Yabuki's art, and you like a little bit of light humour, TO LOVE Ru is highly recommended. If on top of that you like fanservice, there is simply no reason why you shouldn't read TO LOVE Ru.[/b]
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Return to Manga