Shirow starting a new series?

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Shirow starting a new series?

Postby skicow » June 17th, 2006, 3:24 am

I can't read Japanese and Babel Fish does a pretty poor job of translating to English but I think that's what sTwo's latest post (6/15) to his Japanese web site is saying...http://www.shirowledge.com/index.html

Anyone read Japanese? :ase:
skicow

Postby Susano » June 19th, 2006, 12:43 am

That was about all I could get out of Bablfish's translation as well. From what I could tell, it will start in the September issue of Comic Gum. Beyond that, I do not know. I'm going to keep an eye on Comic Gum's website as well as sTwo's site to see if there's any more info about it.

Edit July 23rd

The comic rumored to include a new Shirow manga is Comic Ryu, not Comic Gum! See my latest post for more info.
Last edited by Susano on July 23rd, 2006, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susano

Postby skicow » June 19th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Susano wrote:That was about all I could get out of Bablfish's translation as well. From what I could tell, it will start in the September issue of Comic Gum. Beyond that, I do not know. I'm going to keep an eye on Comic Gum's website as well as sTwo's site to see if there's any more info about it.

Is there a way for us here in North America to get a subscription to Comic Gum?
skicow

Postby Susano » June 19th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Well, I'm assuming some place like Amazon.co.jp would carry it. Although I'm having difficulties narrowing down the search on there right now. Sasuga Books also offers monthly subscriptions to the magazine, but I find their prices to be a little high for magazine subscriptions. It also looks like Akadot Retail has carried the magazine before, although they do not seem to have any stock in as of right now.

Also, here's the main site for Comic Gum.
Susano

Postby skicow » June 19th, 2006, 5:26 pm

Susano wrote:Sasuga Books also offers monthly subscriptions to the magazine, but I find their prices to be a little high for magazine subscriptions.

I'll say! $90 for a 6 month sub. I'm assuming that Comic Gum is a monthly magazine right?

It also looks like Akadot Retail has carried the magazine before, although they do not seem to have any stock in as of right now.

Also, here's the main site for Comic Gum.

Thanks for the info Susano, have you ever had a subscription to a Japanese magazine? I'm wondering what condition the magazines show up in, and how reliable the stores are that send the magazines. I've tried twice to get subscriptions to UK magazines and have been burned both times...I never got a single issue of either subscription :(
skicow

Postby val » June 19th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Skicow,

Don't forget the cost of shipping from Japan. Comic Gum is a thick, newspaper quality manga. Remember when we calculated the shipping on that lot of Gum issues? It's no different and you'll be paying to ship each issue one by one. I imagine $90 is for slow untracked shipping, and the cost to ship it will surely exceed the price of the magazine. Of course, I am assuming that $90 includes transportation from Japan, and also includes the cost of one lump-sum payment to keep the bank fees to one transaction.

I could subscribe for you through a distributor. However, to be frankly honest, $90 for 6 months/6 shipments from Japan for a fat manga made of low quality paper (it will weigh as much as an art book) is going to be very hard to beat. I'm surprised they're even making a profit at $90, and would be surprised if they simply break even in the end after all costs. We've done that in the past. At times, shipping becomes so ridiculous that we lose money on products just to recover some of our costs, or we offer the product because we should be offering it.

Sorry to hear about the magazine subscriptions from the UK. :(
val

Postby val » June 19th, 2006, 6:48 pm

BTW, the information posted on sTwo's site is currently a rumor. He's not sure if it's true. I guess Shirow mentioned the new series in an interview and sTwo read the interview. Being that the Gum series is not confirmed yet and Shirow rarely releases within one year of his first release date, I wouldn't jump up and subscribe right now.
val

Postby val » June 19th, 2006, 7:06 pm

Also, Comic Gum is heavier than Uppers but Uppers was bi-weekly. Uppers was expensive to ship issue by issue, and it was thinner. As a result, I'd expect Comic Gum to cost more per issue in international postage. We did subscriptions for Uppers but we shipped once a month, so two issues per month. Via SAL, the two issues cost $11.50 a month to ship. Airmail was around $16.50, and EMS was about $23 per month. Assuming 2 issues of Uppers weighs the same as one issue of Comic Gum, you'd be paying $11-$23 *per* month in just postage.

Unfortunately, Japanese stores only receive about 20% off a magazine's after tax price from wholesalers. When you're dealing with a 500 yen magazine, the store really doesn't have much room to make pricing more appealing because their profit is 100 yen per issue before other costs like credit card fees, packaging, overhead, etc. As a result, you really can't expect to find a better deal when buying magazines across the world. Unless the store is selling used copies or old magazines, they have to mark it up a few dollars or ship magazines in poor packaging at a loss because there's no profit in Japanese magazines unless you add all costs to the cover price.

Based on everything I know, $90 for 6 months is more than fair if it includes transport from Japan to the USA.
val

Postby Susano » June 20th, 2006, 1:35 am

Val,

Yup, you're absolutely correct on the costs, they are fair what they're charging. It's more for me I'm used to only paying about another $1 to $2 USD per magazine issue more than the cover price thanks to me living nearby a Japanese bookstore. For example, I pay about $7.50 per issue of Ultra Jump with a variance of 20 cents depending on cover price. Young Uppers magazine generally only cost me $3.50 per issue when I was getting that. I guess I'm rather spoiled and very lucky when it comes to import magazines.

The only magazines handled differently are Shonen Jump and Young Magazine. With those, I think Asahiya gets them shipped by EMS to them since they always have the previous weeks issue in stock when I go to the store- they're also about double the cover price. All the other magazines are shipped by SAL I'm assuming. That's the same with most of their other merchandise except cd's which generally arrive within a week of release as well.
Susano

Postby skicow » June 20th, 2006, 2:59 am

val wrote:Skicow,

Don't forget the cost of shipping from Japan. Comic Gum is a thick, newspaper quality manga. Remember when we calculated the shipping on that lot of Gum issues? It's no different and you'll be paying to ship each issue one by one. I imagine $90 is for slow untracked shipping, and the cost to ship it will surely exceed the price of the magazine. Of course, I am assuming that $90 includes transportation from Japan, and also includes the cost of one lump-sum payment to keep the bank fees to one transaction.

I could subscribe for you through a distributor. However, to be frankly honest, $90 for 6 months/6 shipments from Japan for a fat manga made of low quality paper (it will weigh as much as an art book) is going to be very hard to beat. I'm surprised they're even making a profit at $90, and would be surprised if they simply break even in the end after all costs. We've done that in the past. At times, shipping becomes so ridiculous that we lose money on products just to recover some of our costs, or we offer the product because we should be offering it.

Sorry to hear about the magazine subscriptions from the UK. :(

You're right val, I didn't really think of the shipping :oops: and it was just like when we calculated the shipping on those Gum issues.

If I did want a sub to a Japanese mag I would like to go through you because I know it would be packed really nice and I would be less worried about the condition that the magazine would show up in.
Last edited by skicow on June 20th, 2006, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
skicow

Postby skicow » June 20th, 2006, 3:00 am

val wrote:BTW, the information posted on sTwo's site is currently a rumor. He's not sure if it's true. I guess Shirow mentioned the new series in an interview and sTwo read the interview. Being that the Gum series is not confirmed yet and Shirow rarely releases within one year of his first release date, I wouldn't jump up and subscribe right now.

Thanks val, I wasn't sure if it was a for sure thing that Shirow was going to start a new series.
skicow

Postby skicow » June 20th, 2006, 3:02 am

val wrote:Also, Comic Gum is heavier than Uppers but Uppers was bi-weekly. Uppers was expensive to ship issue by issue, and it was thinner. As a result, I'd expect Comic Gum to cost more per issue in international postage. We did subscriptions for Uppers but we shipped once a month, so two issues per month. Via SAL, the two issues cost $11.50 a month to ship. Airmail was around $16.50, and EMS was about $23 per month. Assuming 2 issues of Uppers weighs the same as one issue of Comic Gum, you'd be paying $11-$23 *per* month in just postage.

Unfortunately, Japanese stores only receive about 20% off a magazine's after tax price from wholesalers. When you're dealing with a 500 yen magazine, the store really doesn't have much room to make pricing more appealing because their profit is 100 yen per issue before other costs like credit card fees, packaging, overhead, etc. As a result, you really can't expect to find a better deal when buying magazines across the world. Unless the store is selling used copies or old magazines, they have to mark it up a few dollars or ship magazines in poor packaging at a loss because there's no profit in Japanese magazines unless you add all costs to the cover price.

Based on everything I know, $90 for 6 months is more than fair if it includes transport from Japan to the USA.

Wow, shipping is really expensive in Japan....
skicow

Postby skicow » June 20th, 2006, 3:03 am

Susano wrote:Val,

Yup, you're absolutely correct on the costs, they are fair what they're charging. It's more for me I'm used to only paying about another $1 to $2 USD per magazine issue more than the cover price thanks to me living nearby a Japanese bookstore. For example, I pay about $7.50 per issue of Ultra Jump with a variance of 20 cents depending on cover price. Young Uppers magazine generally only cost me $3.50 per issue when I was getting that. I guess I'm rather spoiled and very lucky when it comes to import magazines.

The only magazines handled differently are Shonen Jump and Young Magazine. With those, I think Asahiya gets them shipped by EMS to them since they always have the previous weeks issue in stock when I go to the store- they're also about double the cover price. All the other magazines are shipped by SAL I'm assuming. That's the same with most of their other merchandise except cd's which generally arrive within a week of release as well.

Hmmm...there must be a place in Toronto that has Japanese books for sale like that...I must find one! 8)
skicow

Postby val » June 20th, 2006, 9:45 am

skicow, Try looking locally for it. If you can't order it via a local store, I can order it for you but if you buy it from Japan, I recommend shipping every other month or so. It's just not worth paying so much to send one issue each month.

Susano, those are really great prices, and I would bet that they're not making any profit at those prices. However, they probably ship enough cargo worldwide that the cost to ship a few magazines gets absorbed by higher priced or lower weight books with better margins. At times, stores will offer anything to keep their customers from going elsewhere. In other words, they're not motivated by profit on every item but the store prefers to get all your business and in the end, it normally balances out and works to their favor because you then buy more and refer friends. Asahiya is a global operation so they can afford to lose a little on select items and they ship enough that costs can be spread pretty thin across 100000s of books.

Japan's wholesale discount rate is pathentic when compared to other countries. If a Japanese store does mark something down to 30% off, they are taking a loss and hoping to recover some of their money.
val

Postby skicow » June 20th, 2006, 2:04 pm

val wrote:skicow, Try looking locally for it. If you can't order it via a local store, I can order it for you but if you buy it from Japan, I recommend shipping every other month or so. It's just not worth paying so much to send one issue each month.

Yep, I will do that val. If can't find it locally I will order it from you and get it shipped every few months. I would rather wait a few months and save the money.
skicow

Next

Return to Manga