Manga suggestions guys?

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Manga suggestions guys?

Postby Syn13 » November 14th, 2007, 5:53 am

Hey all, I've decided to skip animation and just read manga now since I'm pretty busy and can never catch anything so anyone have any suggestions on manga titles that are pretty much 16+ rating?

My list is pretty crappy and I'm pretty new to manga but after what I found out with ADV's Ray manga, I'm sure I'm sticking with pretty much anything by Tokyopop:
Air Gear - Great series, reading the scans online but I have them vol. 1-6 on my shelf
Battle Vixens(Ikki Tousen) - I started it, not liking it so far but my comic guy has me ordered for the complete set so far.
Buso Renkin - Okay series, mirrors Bleach but atleast its shorter
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue - Impulse buy back then + its a single vol. manga.
Elemental Gelade - Typical formula, alright manga and I can see myself finishing the series
Kamiyadori - I likey! Great art, interesting storyline and premise
King of Thorn - Good, interesting twist(I'm waiting for vol. 3)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole Du Ciel - As a Gundam fanboy, I love this manga, original manga that hasn't been animated, kinda girl though for a Gundam manga.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Lost War Chronicles - Covers the One Year War in 2 volumes kinda like 08th MS Team. Manga was okay but the GM Sniper makes up for the okay-ness.
Ray - Love it, its like Trauma Center(DS/Wii) but much deeper with the organ farms and etc...
Welcome to the NHK - Started out great, after 4 volumes, its dying down.

I'm looking for mainly anything along the lines of these titles + series that aren't current hits in animation(like Bleach, and etc...), yea I'm a hypocrite ;)
Possibly interested in Claymore.
Syn13

Re: Manga suggestions guys?

Postby Slaigar » November 14th, 2007, 6:52 am

I still have my volumes of Ray on my shelf, hoping that it will be picked up again by ADV like Yotsuba& and Gunslinger Girl... it's just a dream though.

16+, eh? *takes quick look at his shelf*

First my three favourite companies:
DarkHorse manga has an amazing selection of older teen manga. Right now, it is mostly action, sci-fi, the blood and guts sort of thing- but they are slowly getting more shoujo. When it comes to them, I am pretty much a fanboy.
Blade of the Immortal - It's a another samurai story. A girl's family is killed over a dispute about martial art schools. She hires a bodyguard to help her kill the men that murdered her family. I know it's a sin to sum up a great series like that, but I want to be brief, hehe.
Eden: It's An Endless World - Sci fi action. Honestly, this stands as my all-time fav. Deep character development with tons of action. I never thought I would actually find a manga like it. Honestly, there is too much just to sum it up since the story has a few arcs.
Both authors have made a few short stories as well. There's sex, drama and rock and roll (well, in Ohikkoshi). Very nice to see the authors do something different than action.
Ohikkoshi (oneshot by Hiroaki Samura)
Tanpenshu (two volumes by Hiroki Endo)

MPD Psycho- Very graphic. The story is about a man who has split personalities and he has been recruited to help solve some gruesome murders. Eventually the story takes a twist about a company that is "transplanting" dangerous personalities. It's pretty messed up.
Gantz - hard not to know about this one. Just about as bloody as it can get. I lost interest though after the First Phase.

Infinity Studios
Blood Alone - This is a must buy! Drama.
Unbalance Unbalance (Unbalance X2) - Another must buy. It's a teacher x student love drama.

Go! Comi
After School Nightmare

Everything else, and these most likely have anime counterparts:
Del Rey
Tsubasa and xxxHOLiC
Air Gear - good choice. Oh Great! draws some sexy ladies.
Mushishi
TokyoPop....
After DragonHead is done, I will never grab another title from them. They have good titles and they just murder them. I feel so sad for Aria now.
DragonHead - very good! Apocalyptic horror.
Kame Kaze - I liked this one until the 5th volume... now it's just 'ok'. Supernatural action.
Lament of the Lamb - drama
X-Day - Hard to find, it's a must buy though
ADV
Azumanga Daioh - 4koma, comedy
Gunslinger Girl
Viz
Claymore - it's kind of like Berserk with an all female cast (except for Raki). I love it even though the art is subpar and action is not drawn well.
Monster - a classic.
DrMaster
Category: Freaks
Tsukihime - If you are type moon fan, this one is a pretty good one to pick up.

Black God by Yen Press (new company that is doing a line of Square Enix titles) looks like it's worth checking out too. It was just released last month it was a pretty fun read. Another supernatural action.

That is a quick list of the companies. You are probably not interested in drama but those are some of best titles that the company has to offer. If I stumble across anything else on my shelf that is worth noting, I will write some more.
Slaigar

Postby K2kevn » November 14th, 2007, 7:06 am

I have to second and third and fourth Slaigar's suggestion for Blade of the Immortal. Well developed characters, awesome story and art. It's too bad he'll never let it be animated, though I don't think any studio can do it justice.
K2kevn

Postby Syn13 » November 14th, 2007, 7:14 am

Nice list, ran a quick search from animenewsnetwork and most, if not all are great. Just a little iffy on the drama ones and manga by Clamp ;)

Oh man, my comic guy is gonna make a HUGE order~
Good thing he's cool about holding stuff for me(i've got a couple of figures and mangas with him).

I was reading some of the free anime inserts and saw Hikkatsu! and Variante while I was at it. But these suggestions are great!!

I love Oh! Great's stuff(yea, I started with his h doujins like Silky Whip) then I noticed Tenjou Tenge but I heard that CMX's censorship is horrible.
Syn13

Postby Slaigar » November 14th, 2007, 8:07 am

Tenjho Tenge is a shame. If it wasn't censored, I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat. Censorship just to sell to a target audience just sickens me.

Another TP one to add:
Priest - I totally forgot about this! Set in a western atmosphere, zombies, crazed paladins and the law battle for control of sacred lands. The book is quite unique since it is drawn with white on a black page, making the contrast look amazing. The artist draws with a lot of jagged edges, a style I would not have expected from a manwha. For action, definitely another one to look out for. The lead character is one who has sold his soul to devil in order to avenge his lost love. The cover of each volumes are also just amazing... until Vol 16, then TP changed artists and it looks horrible. Releases... quite slow. It's not totally dead yet (well, I think it isn't) and previous releases took forever. What is killing me is that we are Vol. 16 and the story feels like it has a long way to go still.

I started on purely action for my collection. Then it kind of got boring (after Blade of the Immortal and Eden, everything else looks like crap!) so I took a dive into shoujo. I don't regret it and now a few of my favourites are titles that brought tears to my eyes (Aishiteruze Baby, hehe). There just ends up the odd situations in some books ie. incest, yaoi. I don't look for those books but it doesn't stop me from reading a potentially good title.

Kind of ticked that CMX got Variante. Whatever, atleast it gets a stateside release. I enjoyed reading the scanlations- it gets a bit messed up and gory.

It's so hard to shop for good titles. A lot of them just end up being a waste. Some awesome titles never get finished (Kamunagara *cries*) and lot just stories that have been told before and better. There are a ton of books sitting in a box that I wished that I never bought.
Slaigar

Postby matman » December 8th, 2007, 9:16 am

Yotsuba
matman

Postby ShimizuKyoko » December 14th, 2007, 11:31 pm

I don't usually read manga but these are the ones I recommend.

1. tenjou tenge
2. meitantei(detective) conan
3. berserk
4. vegabond
5. crows
6. slam dunk
7. kindaichi
ShimizuKyoko

Postby Slaigar » June 22nd, 2008, 6:39 am

Shoujo / Slice of Life (and some Supernatural-ish)

Rummaging through my collection, here is a brief laydown of what I've encountered. I'll leave it up to Wikipedia for the summaries. I also put down whether I enjoyed it or not (or if I even had to chance to finish it).

DH

Oh My Goddess 1-8, 21-29
Worth it? YES! Skeptical at first but I'm an addict now. It went from being magical-girl romance to being comedy magical-slice of life.
Ohikkoshi *Oneshot
Worth it? YES! About a guy trying to score with his high school crush. One of my favourites.
Tanpenshu 1-2 *Complete
Worth it? YES! Explicit sex, violence and a bunch of sad endings. It's a collection of stories by Endo Hiroki.

IS

Unbalance X2 1-2
A Kiss For My Prince 1-2
Blood Alone 1-4
Sweety 1-2
I love all these titles. BUT!!! Be wary of buying any titles from IS, some of them may never finish. A few of these are already in limbo.

Go! Comi
After School Nightmare 1-7
Worth it? YES! So twisted. Already mentioned it before :ase:
Her Majesties Dog 1-3
Worth it? I enjoy this one, but still need to catch up.
Night of the Beasts 1-6 *Complete
Worth it? It enjoyed it. About a beast going around and killing all the members of a specific family. The art is dated but I got over it eventually.

Yen Press
Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro 1
Worth it? It's different... the story is told in 4koma style. Plotwise, it hasn't gone anywhere yet but I like it. Kind of like Kino's Journey, except the main character carries a coffin with her. Picked it up because the artist worked on Yggdra's Union (I love that game to death, even though its incredibly frustrating).
Sunshine Sketch 1
Worth it? Covered with cuteness. Had to buy it because I love Hidamari Sketch

Del Rey
Mushishi
1-2
Worth it? Yup. I didn't get much into it. But awesome art and the stories are beautiful and haunting.

ADV
Anne Freaks 1-4
*Complete
Worth it? YES! Dark shoujo about a girl seeking revenge on a cult/terrorists.

Viz

Azumanga Daioh 1-4 *Complete
Worth it? Yes! 4koma comic style which is fun and hilarious. One of those classics worth checking out. There's an omnibus now that has all four volumes.
Aishiteruze Baby 1-7 *Complete
Worth it? Yup! The main character has to babysit his cousin for an indefinite amount of time and changes from a playboy to a parent. Prepare for some major cuteness.
Vampire Knight 1-3
Worth it? I liked it but stopped reading it. Apparently it's supposed to get darker and crazier from where I left off. It's about a school where humans and vampires exist side-by-side.
Saikano 1-7 *Complete
Worth it? I still think this one is overrated. Am I one of the few people that just didn't like it? It's considered a classic though. A girl gets turned into some kind of deathmachine by military and she tries to live a normal life with her boyfriend. Things don't end so well...

TP

Le Petite Cossette 1-2 *Complete
Worth it? no...
Lament of the Lamb 1-7 *Complete
Worth it? Yup! All time favourite. About a lone family with a disease of vampirism. Kei Toume does an awesome job in pacing the story.
Pet Shop of Horrors 1-10 *Complete
Worth it? I thought it was "ok" (I liked parts of it). It's a collection of stories of customers who by these magical pets from Count D. They usually see the pets as people and its supposed to change their vices. But usually some bad stuff happens and the people get eaten (there are good endings too!).
Planet Ladder 1-7 *Complete
Worth it? Yup... until the final volume- then it was too rushed. Also translation was horrible.
X-Day 1-2 *Complete
Worth it? Yup, hard to find though.

Even for the titles I liked, I find it hard to write stuff about them. Good huntin'.
Slaigar

Postby Syn13 » July 7th, 2008, 5:17 am

Thats a good list. I get so tempted by art everytime I'm with my sis inlaw because she reads a crapload of Shojo and its the really girly type too, every other weekend or so I spend some time with my bro and his wife and in the shops, there are always stuff that I'm interested in but I forget the titles everytime I get home which kinda sucks because they really look interesting.
Syn13

Postby MrDisco » July 7th, 2008, 9:45 pm

a couple of my favourites have already been posted so I'll throw a few more titles (some old, some still on-going, all available in NA):

Pastel - romantic comedy
Strawberry 100% - a lot of people hated the ending, but I loved it. another romantic harem comedy
I''s - romantic comedy
Negima - fantasy comedy
Love Hina - romantic harem comedy
Maison Ikkoku - the mother of all romantic comedies
Kare Kano - romantic comedy
Video Girl Ai - romantic comedy (sense a pattern?)

Some titles which I was totally let down with:
Suzuka - I absolutely hated the title character. I wish the mangaka killer her off at the end and gave our hero a more likeable girl. ;)
NHK - there's emo, then there's NHK.
Tenjho Tenge - censorship should be boycotted
Air Gear - fabulous looking women, nonsensical story
Battle Vixens - see Air Gear
Battle Club - see Battle Vixens, but toss in a hermaphrodite
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Syn13 » July 7th, 2008, 11:02 pm

Oh man Battle Vixens is such a waste of time!! Why? Not because Ikkitousen was originally made for fan service but because Tokyopop totally botched up translations for the english version. They used so much slang in it and theres so much of the content you can tell that was originally in the Japanese version modified so much that he can tell its not right. I have up to vol. 10 but I'm trying to get through 8 right now...its so hard to understand because of the translations.
Syn13

Postby MrDisco » July 7th, 2008, 11:05 pm

Syn13 wrote:Oh man Battle Vixens is such a waste of time!! Why? Not because Ikkitousen was originally made for fan service but because Tokyopop totally botched up translations for the english version. They used so much slang in it and theres so much of the content you can tell that was originally in the Japanese version modified so much that he can tell its not right. I have up to vol. 10 but I'm trying to get through 8 right now...its so hard to understand because of the translations.

Yeah the translations are #$!#*. I need to see how the scan groups handled this title to compare. I stopped buying at volume 8 and will most likely sell what I have off.

The artwork though is *blush* The only redeeming feature of this title.
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby MrDisco » July 16th, 2009, 10:45 pm

Well it's been a year so I thought I would give this question a bump. Are there any new titles that have caught ZT member's eyes? For me I'm still falling the old stand-bys:

-AMG
-Naruto
-Bleach (when I catch up)
-Gantz
-Negima
-Umi no Misaki (and I thought AYA had docile females!)
-the new one from the creator of Aria (name escapes me at the moment)
-Glass no Megami (H)
-Virgin na Kankei (H)

Any new series to hit the scene that's worth a look?
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Susano » July 17th, 2009, 3:23 am

Let's see, I've mostly become a Yen Press fanatic over the past year. It started with Sundome (a very perverted story about a boy obsessed with a girl with some highly suggestive art work) then moved on to their magazine (my favorite is One Fine Day.) I'm currently also getting Pig Bride (manwha with some very pretty art), Bamboo Blade, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (novels and manga), Higurashi, and Zombie Loan (Peach Pit). I also have Pandora Hearts (twisted Alice in Wonderland), Soul Eater, Hero Tales and Nabari no Ou on preorder.
Susano

Postby freedom199012 » July 22nd, 2009, 12:46 am

try reading tokyo akazukin :F
freedom199012

Next

Return to Manga