Keeping your manga in order?

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Keeping your manga in order?

Postby Syn13 » June 10th, 2008, 7:21 am

Well I think I got two shelves worth of manga and it got me thinking of reorganizing them. I'm currently trying an company then name of the mangas and mangas with 7-9 volumes, I put them cover facing out rather than binding. Kinda curious how other members store them, my sis inlaw has them everywhere because she's got ALOT!
Syn13

Re: Keeping your manga in order?

Postby Slaigar » June 10th, 2008, 8:34 am

I keep 'em doubstacked on this shelf. With 400-some volumes, I can't fit them all here, so I only put the ones I like on the shelf. It originally had more books on it, but I kicked out my Viz books so I could fit my figures.
shelf1.JPG

After two years of mixing and matching, I finally settled on a format that I like. My priority is by company and then (very roughly) alphabetical. My sole reason, is just on how it looks. It keeps all the company logos bundled together and a single series on one shelf. Active series are in the front and finished/inactive series are the back layer. Honestly, I can't remember what's in the back layer.

I only put a few of them with the covers facing the front (MPD Psycho on the top). I love seeing the covers, but it tends fall unless tightly supported. Then it stopped working so well when the number of volumes for a series came to 6+. Also, all of my books have plastic covers over them (that's why they are shiny). It keeps easy to clean from dust and no chance of water damage from my aquarium.

Top Shelf: Dark Horse
(Samura's new book is the one with the green cover, too bad I can't read Japanese)
Fourth Shelf: Del Rey on the left, Go! Comi on the right
3rd Shelf: Figures! and then Infinity Studios and Yen Press
2nd Shelf: Anything A5 size: Dark Horse in the back left, Infinity Studios in the front right and Aria Monthly Undine hidden behind.
Bottom Shelf: Anything that doesn't fit on the other parts of the shelf (Aria Poster Books). I want to get a display case for these, but it will be a while before I get to it.

Everything else goes into a box and hidden away until I can get another shelf: TokyoPop (pff, like I'll ever want to display that), ADV, Viz. My DVDs and artbooks are tucked into another shelf that has my videogames and cds. I'll probably move em back to the main shelf if I can find some way of organizing it properly.
Slaigar

Postby Syn13 » June 10th, 2008, 9:06 am

That is so neat! So I guess there are manga plastic cases available now like comic books? I gotta get something like that for the one I've read through(except for Air Gear, they are still wrapped because I love the series and read the scanlations first). Yea I think that its better keeping them together by company first since the logos do stand out and then there are different sizes for each company; Tokyopop & Del Rey standard sizes, Viz is little shorter, DrMaster & Infinity studios smaller, then the weird ADV, CMX & Seven Seas sizes being large. I was thinking of double stacking them later when I have too much to hold for 2 shelves but currently, only at an amount of 95 volumes, I'm okay heh heh~
I've also got my misc. stuff on my top shelf being some college textbooks, Diamond Preview, Toy Fair, Anime Insider, and Japanese figure magazines.

I love that case you got your figures in! Are you thinking of a frame for the Aria poster or an actual case? And while we're on the subject, hows Aria? Being how I only have one series that isn't really action/shonen but a bit more senin(Blood Alone), I'm conflicted on trying those types of series. I've also heard there's a prequel or sequel of it too.
Syn13

Postby Slaigar » June 11th, 2008, 12:07 am

The plastic comic covers are the same ones used for regular comics. I just fold them over and tape them so they fit to the larger form for GNs. The folding also took a bit a experimenting, but I finally found a method that I liked (they come in packages of 100 for 8 dollars, so there was room for experimenting).

I agree, the "standard sizes' for the B6 size is a bit weird. Not that is bothers me, but it's noticeable when you have them side-by-side. DH and Dr. Master's books seemed more on the smaller side.

It's hard tossing all the extra stuff with your collection. I just clump them all together until there is enough to organize.

Thanks for the comments on the glass case. For my Aria stuff, I'm honestly stumped on what to build for it. I want to be able to display everything (posters, books, figures), but the sizes of everything causes some conflict. I considered a glass frame for the poster, but I also wanted to display the artwork on the box. Lots of ideas come into my head, but I haven't been able to agree on one.
1204699166202.jpg

ARIA is a series that you are either going to love or hate. It's beautiful but absolutely NOTHING happens in terms of plot for the majority of the episodes. It's slice of life to the extreme. Regardless, there is a large cult following on this series. There aren't really adventures, but more of an exploration through the city of Neo-Venezia (it's based on a terraformed Mars, but is hardly sci-fi). Overall, it's very beautiful and relaxing. The soundtrack does an awesome job in setting the mood. I don't recommend marathoning through it, you will get bored. However, it makes the perfect anime to watch before going to bed. Just download it and take your time when going through it. (Aria the Animation is the first season, Aria the Natural is the second, Aria the Arietta is the OVA, and Aria the Origination is the last season).
I haven't read the manga, so I am not sure how which is better. But AQUA is the prequel (2 volumes) and ARIA is afterwards with 12 Volumes.
1211783803728.jpg

Don't be shy about exploring other genres (check the net first to see if the series are any good though). After a while, shonen titles blend together and the action/violence becomes monotonous. Only a small portion of collection isn't concentrated in violence (mmm 20%ish), but well worth the investment. Slice of life, comedy, romance are all hard to start if you can't identify with the genre, characters, theme, etc: What's the point of the struggle? Is Japanese comedy even funny? Why is "Character A" in love with such a bitch?? And then some of these series may come with a few explicit twists not seen in mainstream series: incest, rape, love & sex, transvestites, yaoi, yuri, extreme depression & suicide (just so you know, After School Nightmare arguably has ALL of these "features"). You definitely encounter a few of these! Honestly, just take a dive and see what's out there. Might find something you like, or you might not. They're not as long as real novels, so not much commitment is needed is reading them anyway, haha.
If you are looking for somewhere to start, try "Deep Love" scanlated by Kotonoha. It's a short love story of only two volumes. It should still lurking around the net. I'll post a few more, either scanlated or published, if you are interested.
Slaigar

Postby Syn13 » June 11th, 2008, 5:51 am

Very descriptive!! Definitely worth checking out after reading your post...Hmmm After School Nightmare, I think I looked up on it, I think that was the one where I was confused about the main character's gender haha, dunno its been a while since I was browsing up some manga titles brought over to North America.
Definitely one series thats totally different from my collection is Blood Alone. Being a guy and hardly having much interests in these types of genre, its an absolutely adorable series which is a mix of fantasy(Vampires), bits of mystery, little action and slice of life as well. Its too bad the first edition of vol. 1's binding was so crap that the pages are falling out...Which is surprising because the entire GN itself was done so well.
You know what, ARiA was on my list back then, I think I will give it a try~ Should I get AQUA first? One plus for this for me was that the art was astonishing!!

I was so choked up when I finished watching Tsukihime OAV too and one reason why I love Tsukihime over Fate/Stay Night is because Arcueid is sooooooo cute~ Plus the Tsukihime's artwork itself was done by the creator which gives it major points.
Syn13

Postby Slaigar » June 11th, 2008, 7:13 am

Yup, that sounds like After School Nightmare. It's dark, twisted and definitely disturbing. The artist is great at expressing emotions on paper and the story flows well. After reading so much, it makes me wonder if I am disturbed because I feel that these topics stir an innate feeling of right/wrong within me... Or I whether its the highly genderized society that forces me to feel that these are topics are taboo (paranoia! :guru: , but actually true).

Blood Alone is my favourite title from IS. It's hard to guess what's next as it flip flops between suspense and slice of life. Volume 4 is all action though and leaves at a cliffhanger. Future releases are going to be at snails pace (actually probably slower), which really sucks. Ever since IS went towards ebooks, Blood Alone may be the only title to be released as a hardcopy book.
I do remember hearing some problems with the first editions because of their printer people (whatever they are called): missing pages, upside down pages or just not even in order. Luckily I haven't encountered it. Though if I did, I would just order another one from Chapters and then return the bad copy at a local store (yeah, done it once before) :keke: .

You don't necessarily need to start with Aqua. Though its a prequel, there shouldn't be anything essential in Aqua. I believe the name change was because the artist was switching serialization to another magazine. The stories in Aqua/Aria are mostly standalone so it's possible to start Aria pretty much anywhere without missing much.

Not on topic anymore, so I'll post more in your "Manga suggestion" thread whenever I have time to think of some good titles that might appeal.
Slaigar

Postby asgard » April 22nd, 2009, 7:39 am

Can't comment on the above shows but the original topic got me interested, and what a neat read it ended up being, thanks guys :)

I've got over 400 manga (slacked off a bit in the last 2 years and if I give in to my desire to splurge on manga when my redundancy pay comes through, I may have WAY WAY more than that) but I also have 8 bookshelves, 5 of them devoted to my manga and artbooks. Even then the shelves with manga on them have a line of manga standing like they should, with manga then stacked on top.

How do I organise? First by size of the books (e.g. all the original Dark Horse & Viz manga in those large sizes first) then complete series by an artist go together, then incomplete from left to right, with the aim to jam the shelve tight with only enough space to easily move a book in/out.
Artbooks are a mish mash, which is funny for my friends because if they want to look at a specific artist's artbooks, I know EXACTLY where they are in the massive shelves all the artbooks take up XD
I have special limited edition sets stacked on top of the bookshelves or inbetween like so...

Sorry this photo is sorely out of date (figures, books etc. come and gone) and doesn't show the shelves properly on the left & right, but it gives you a general idea. The shelf on the left (of the pic) is also now solely dedicated to manga, with only one shelf taken up by the CLAMP no Kiseki & card folders.
asgard

Return to Manga