GITS Signed?!?

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

GITS Signed?!?

Postby skicow » February 10th, 2007, 1:57 am

I have a really hard time believing that this is authentic...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GHOST-IN-SHELL-AUTOGRAPHED-BY-SHIROW-RARE_W0QQitemZ150088776683QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73573QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know of Shirow signing *anything* other than things that have been done as special inserts/cards/etc. and for companies? I've never heard of Shirow signing anything for a person.

Val? I'm looking at you :wink:
skicow

Postby Arcturus » February 12th, 2007, 8:51 pm

I have never heard of Shirow attending any Con, much less appearing in person.

Sounds like a scam.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby BennyFuentes » February 12th, 2007, 9:49 pm

I asked a friend about this and he confirmed to me that Masaume Shirow indeed appeared one day only at the San Diego Comicon in 1998, but this doesn´t confirm that the autograph is real.
BennyFuentes

Postby val » February 13th, 2007, 3:49 am

Not sure. Didn't think Shirow was a social type to sign books.

I will ask an expert in Japan and let you know what he says.
val

Postby val » February 13th, 2007, 4:30 am

If it is real, why does he only want $66 tops for it?

He said there's a certificate of authenticity but doesn't show it. I wonder what authentication service is qualified enough to validate and certify an item with Shirow's signature.

If Shirow did attend a Con, would you be able to approach him and ask for a signature? Also, if he did attend a Con and agreed to sign, I imagine he would have a scheduled signing session for fans.

Story doesn't make sense. I recently came across someone in Japan who has a lot of knowledge on Shirow, so I sent him an email. I suspect this person is either Shirow's friend or someone he knows through work because he seems to know everything about the guy and has a really incredible collection of rare items. I just hope he replies. I'll post if I get a response.
val

Postby skicow » February 13th, 2007, 3:26 pm

Yeah, I agree with everyone, it's a fake. Just wanted to get your opinion on it. The signature doesn't even look like his. Why does he only want $66 for it? You would think you would see more signed stuff for sale on eBay that is signed by Shirow. etc....

Val, please let us know what your contact has to say.
skicow

Postby Arcturus » February 13th, 2007, 7:17 pm

If Shirow appeared in San Diego at a Convention, there would have been pictures of him everywhere on the net the next day, and it would be big news in our circles. Especially since there are no real pictures of him.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby val » February 13th, 2007, 9:36 pm

Argh,

I just typed a long explanation on why the signature is fake, but when I clicked submit, it made me sign in and it didn't post my message. In fact, it loaded a new message form as blank. CRY T_T. I was logged in when I first started but I guess the server must have reboot or timed me out. :(
val

Postby norm1ized » February 14th, 2007, 1:57 am

^^^^haha....i have that prob all the time on another site... :evil:
norm1ized

Postby skicow » February 15th, 2007, 8:57 pm

val wrote:Argh,

I just typed a long explanation on why the signature is fake, but when I clicked submit, it made me sign in and it didn't post my message. In fact, it loaded a new message form as blank. CRY T_T. I was logged in when I first started but I guess the server must have reboot or timed me out. :(

I'd like to hear your explanation val, even a short once sentence, please. Was your explanation from your Shirow contact?
skicow

Postby val » February 16th, 2007, 3:34 am

Sorry to keep you hanging.

I even typed it again, and made images of the characters, when my computer crashed and I lost everything the second time. I spend 90% of my life doing everything over and over.

I don't know why I didn't realize this immediately but please note that shirow's signature represents the 4 Kanji characters in his name. His first character is always the largest, which is shi. It consists of one vertical line, a baseline, and one horizontal line centered through the vertical line. The fake signature appears to be a stretched "S" in cursive. The loop on top and loop on bottom give the impression that the person who signed it tried to make the first character resemble an "S", not "SHI" which is always readable in his signature. Hope this makes sense. If you could read Japanese, I guess the fake is obvious because it's just a scribble. You can't even read or see SHI so it's definitely fake..
val

Postby val » February 16th, 2007, 3:44 am

Examples of Shirow's signature
http://shiromasade.gozaru.jp/sign_top.htm
Although his loops and detail have changed a little over the years, SHI can always be read.

SHI is not present on the eBay auction's signature.
In fact, the first letter of the eBay sig looks like a sloppy "L" or a stretched "S" in cursive.
val

Postby skicow » February 16th, 2007, 6:52 pm

Thanks for the explanation val :) I knew the signature didn't look like Shirow's but I didn't know that 'shi' was the first character in his signature!
skicow

Postby Arcturus » February 21st, 2007, 2:16 pm

If Shirow doesn't make public appearances, are those work with signatures just special releases from the publishers, that Shirow signed?
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby skicow » February 22nd, 2007, 4:41 pm

Arcturus wrote:If Shirow doesn't make public appearances, are those work with signatures just special releases from the publishers, that Shirow signed?

I would think so....or someone knows someone who knows Shirow and they get him to sign it? Regardless I want one! :P
skicow

Next

Return to Manga