FMA Volume 8 Altered Artwork inthe Viz release

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

FMA Volume 8 Altered Artwork inthe Viz release

Postby Susano » September 12th, 2006, 3:11 am

Well, as if the cesnsorship in Bleach #14 wasn't bad enough, but now Fullmetal Alchemist #8 has had censored artwork as well. You can see comparisons of the Viz and Japanese tank side by side at Anime News Network.
Yup, you are seeing that correctly, Viz decided to change the cross Greed was crucified upon into a broken up slab of rock. :kuruc:
Susano

Postby Arcturus » September 12th, 2006, 1:11 pm

More censorship for more manga. Noticed how much Dark Horse has edited Cannon God Exaxxion. Now I wonder whether Outlanders, Seraphic Feather, Gunsmith Cats, and Karavan Kidd have been edited also, probably so.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby Susano » September 12th, 2006, 3:35 pm

I know Seraphic Feather was pretty heavily censored for nudity (maybe violence as well.) I'm not certain on the other ones, although I think Gunsmith Cats was not and is supposed to have a new release coming up in the unflopped format soon.

I'm pretty much not going to get any new titles from Viz. I'm canceling Inu Yasha and will just look for on line script translations to go with the Japanese release I plan on purchasing and probably won't bother with the rest of Angel Sanctuary either until it is fully released in English. I think about the only company I'm going to bother collecting from from now on is Del Rey. Thier paper may be a bit to be desired, but at lest they don't censor the artwork (other than the second Air Gear volume cover. But the original image will be on the inside of the book.)

My Hubby is much more tolerant about edits (though that surprises me considering he's an artist) so we'll still be getting Bleach and FMA. I'm going to get the Japanese releases of the comics though since I want to se the original artwork.
Susano

Postby skicow » September 12th, 2006, 8:07 pm

This really sucks :(

I hate censorship, and the only reason that these companies are censoring their product is so they can sell it to a wider audience. We are such an uptight society in North America and having teenagers reading about, and seeing nudity for some reason will turn them into perverted zombies...

I don't know about anyone else but I've never been harmed by naked boobies.... :boo:
skicow

Postby Arcturus » September 12th, 2006, 8:22 pm

The problem is that censorship or editing is so haphazard. It's almost like they have seperate people doing each page. Also if they are going to add stuff to cover stuff, then they should do the same quality work. Crappy bra's and pants that look fake or were painted on ruin the flow of the airwork.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby skicow » September 13th, 2006, 12:16 am

Arcturus wrote:The problem is that censorship or editing is so haphazard. It's almost like they have seperate people doing each page. Also if they are going to add stuff to cover stuff, then they should do the same quality work. Crappy bra's and pants that look fake or were painted on ruin the flow of the airwork.

I can understand what you are saying but to me the act of censorship is what's really wrong.

Why do they need to turn the stone cross into a stone slab?!? In doing this are they somehow saving us from damnation? And when they cover up a nipple are they somehow preventing me from turning into a pervert? It's the same crap that made Lucas go back and have Han shoot second and which made Speilberg (sp?) go back and remove the guns from the police that were chasing Elliot and E.T.

bah! Sorry for the rant Arcturus, I'm not going off on you, just on all this PC crap that's been going on for so many years now... It makes baby Jebus cry :cry:
skicow

Postby magius » November 18th, 2006, 7:50 pm

skicow wrote:bah! Sorry for the rant Arcturus, I'm not going off on you, just on all this PC crap that's been going on for so many years now... It makes baby Jebus cry :cry:

Couldn't agree more... It seems that the US entered into a very conservative cycle, with religious parties being louder than ever. I mean, yes, it is sales related, but they also want to keep the religious nuts from raising hell (er, that came out funny).

It saddens me to the point that I simply stop buying the title. No ranting, no petition, it simply disgusts me, so I just take a deep breath and keep my money. It pains me when I would love to buy titles like TenTen, but it has been hacked so much I can't stomach it. Same with eye candy like B.Club and Ikkitouse, excuse me, B.Vixens... in their case the translation is so horrid, it degrades into non-sense.

Hear that ya "big shot" manga companies? :roll:
magius

Return to Manga