Did you know that there's TWO versions of the Solid Box?

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Did you know that there's TWO versions of the Solid Box?

Postby val » August 15th, 2006, 9:52 am

I recently bought a sealed Solid Box in Japan, and when I opened it, there was no book-in-book inside the box. Apparently, it's a 2nd edition box. Kodansha produced 2 rounds, and didn't have enough book-in-book copies for the second group. In addition, the second group got black & silver Fuchikoma, so this one on eBay is a 2nd Edition box:
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Ghost-in-the-Shell-SOLID-BOX-Masamune-Shirow-RARE_W0QQitemZ150019138973QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73573QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Sold Box on eBay, 2nd Ed.</a>

If you own the 2nd edition, then you might notice that the box is not complete. Actually, it might be a complete 2nd edition box but comparing it to the 1st edition, 2nd has less & lower quality fuchikoma. I bought a 2nd Edition in the past, and there was no book-in-book so I took one from a used box and added it. Now, I understand why it wasn't there. There are 2 versions. Of course, the 1st edition is the nicer box with the first edition print of MMI (unedited) as it first shipped from Kodansha.

Anyway, I remember people comparing pages of their copy of MMI, and some didn't have certain naughty pages. Everyone assumed it was difference between the standard and limited versions. However, the 2nd edition limited version is indeed different from the 1st edition. Also, the original sold box had many different colors of the Fuchikoma, so the color, tucked inside the box lid, was a surprise for a buyers. However, in the second edition, the Fuchikoma only came in black and silver. I don't think it's as nice as the 1st edition either because I have one of those here for Shawn too.

If you own the Solid Box, what version do you own? If you have a black & silver Fuchikoma, then you probaly have a 2nd edition box w/out the book-in-book. What version was shipped abroad or imported by Diamond? Anyone know?
Last edited by val on November 19th, 2006, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
val

Postby skicow » August 15th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Two?!? Nice catch val!

I've got the first edition! :)

I can't remember the colour of my fuchikoma right now, I'm at work, but I do know that the naughty bits are in the MMI I have :oops:
skicow

Postby asgard » September 9th, 2006, 11:20 pm

Heh I love Solid Box lore, and thankyou Val for giving me an excuse to pull mine out from storage and pour all over it's goodness one more time.

I remember when it first came out there was a lot of dicussion around this, but I am a bit confused. I have the book-in-book (it came stored in the clear file), and I also have the version of the manga with the gang-bang scene, and my mini-fuchikoma is silver bodied, with dark brown legs (with the stud tips being black.) Was the one you sold in that auction with a black body and silver legs Val? According to the picture that is it, but I want to be sure.

According to people I've talked with, there have been a variety of coloured fuchikomas, red bodies, black legs, and vice versa; silver legs and black bodies.

Val how is the 1st edition not complete? *confused* when I received mine it was unopened. And also how are the 2nd edition versions different to the 1st edition in terms of the manga? Were there any other naughty bits in specific that were missing from one edition to the other?
asgard

Postby skicow » September 10th, 2006, 2:20 am

asgard wrote:I remember when it first came out there was a lot of dicussion around this, but I am a bit confused. I have the book-in-book (it came stored in the clear file), and I also have the version of the manga with the gang-bang scene, and my mini-fuchikoma is silver bodied, with dark brown legs (with the stud tips being black.) Was the one you sold in that auction with a black body and silver legs Val? According to the picture that is it, but I want to be sure.

I believe that I have a 2nd edition :( I've got the fuchikoma with the black body and silver legs, no book-in-book (what does this look like?) but I do have the naughty bits in my MMI hard cover book...

According to people I've talked with, there have been a variety of coloured fuchikomas, red bodies, black legs, and vice versa; silver legs and black bodies.

Val how is the 1st edition not complete? *confused* when I received mine it was unopened.

I think val was saying that if you own the 1st edition box, you will notice that the box that she linked too on eBay is not complete, she wasn't saying that the 1st edition box was incomplete.

Now I'm going to have to find a 1st edition Box!

Would the ISBN number be different for 1st and 2nd editions?!? My ISBN number is ISBN4-06-336310-4
skicow

Postby asgard » September 10th, 2006, 2:27 am

Image of the book-in-book (stored within the clear file)

Image of my fuchikoma

And my ISBN number is 4-06-336310-4
asgard

Re: Did you know that there's TWO versions of the Solid Box?

Postby shawn » September 10th, 2006, 9:42 am

val wrote:I don't think it's as nice as the 1st edition either because I have one of those here for Shawn too.

:ah: Did I have the 1st or 2nd edition, Val? Well, not that I have any choice anyway 'cause I was so late to come in and pick one up... and that's all thanks to Val and Steve. I am grateful. :cake:
By the way, what colored Fuchikoma is mine? :ase:
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Location: Latitude 50° 48' 5'' North Longitude 1° 4' 35'' West

Postby skicow » September 11th, 2006, 7:51 pm

asgard wrote:Image of the book-in-book (stored within the clear file)

*snip*

Wow! :shock: I don't have that and I've never seen it before either...crap! I need to get a 1st version of the Solid Box....What is in that book-in-book? How many pages?

And my ISBN number is 4-06-336310-4

Is it weird that we have the same ISBN number but different versions of the Solid Box? I'm not sure how ISBN numbering works but I would think that the different versions of the Solid Box are two different products?!? Or maybe there aren't "officially" two different versions and like val said Kodansha just didn't include the book-in-book and pushed out a 2nd version un-officially?
skicow

Postby val » November 19th, 2006, 12:27 am

Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread.

There is indeed TWO versions. Skicow has the 2nd Edition. Asgard has a 1st Edition. As far as I know, ALL of the 2nd Edition came with Black Fuchikoma. I believe the 2nd edition MMI is slightly different. It was retouched by Shirow, and I believe he removed 1 oe 2 pages of the color/naughty pages. I remember someone brought this up at the TC forum once because his limited edition didn't have the same naughty art found in scans online. Looking back, I can only assume that he had a 2nd edition and the scans online were first edition.

To know if you have a first or second edition, it varies by the print date, not the ISBN. As a result, you need to know both ISBN and the print date of MMI. All first edition copies say 1st edition inside MMI. Second edition will have a reprint date inside MMI at the back with the book's publisher info. Once you look at the page, you'll know if you have a 2nd edition.

Also, when I typed "If you own the 1st edition, then you might notice that the box is not complete. " above, I was referring to the eBay auction, which is a 2nd Edition box. If you run through the list of contents shown in the listing and compare it to your box, you'll note the book-in-book is not there.

Shawn, I have a 1st edition for you. Fuchikoma has a red body.

Sorry Skicow, you have a 2nd edition box. The fuchikoma varies in color with the 1st edition, and you're missing the book-in-book. The book-in-book was a reprint of a book-in-book that appeared in Uppers magazine.
Last edited by val on November 20th, 2006, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
val

Postby MrDisco » November 20th, 2006, 5:19 pm

thats some great info. i wonder if we should make a sticky for stuff like this.
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby val » November 20th, 2006, 7:35 pm

Oh, one more point that I noticed when comparing a 1st edition to a 2nd edition (boxes side-by-side). The book-in-book is NOT mentioned on the carboard box of either version. Kodansha must have known in advance (before they released the 1st edition) that some would not include the book-in-book. Otherwise, why did they leave it off the box contents? It's not mentioned at all but when we originally took preorders, we did did list the book-in-book in the product description so Kodansha obviously dropped this item at some point and stopped mentioning it.

The fuchikoma tucked in the corner was supposed to be a "surprise" item, so they most likely decided to cut costs towards the end and include a different fuchikoma, which would be the black fuchikoma with silver legs.

Keep in mind, the solid box was late -- it was delayed for nearly 2 painful years of buyers waiting for their preorders. We took orders in 1999, and I think it shipped at the end of 2001. I don't remember the specific dates but it was a really long time. It's possible they made a change when Shirow retouched the book again and forced Kodansha to reprint again. At some point, the box became a second edition w/out the book-in-book & colorful fuchikoma... perhaps, only early birds got the 1st edition box. He kept making changes and forcing Kodansha to start over, which is why it was delayed multiple times. When the box finally shipped, Shirow was not ready, and he continued to retouch the book & make changes until the standard edition hit stores in Japan. The Japanese standard edition does have naughty pages too but the pages did change between the Sold Box and Standard.

BTW, we called Kodansha, and confirmed that there are two editions which vary slightly. They said only 1st edition included the book-in-book. We tried to ask more questions but the person did not know the answers because it was a long time ago.
val

Postby skicow » November 23rd, 2006, 1:37 am

Wow...thanks for all the info val... again you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of all things manga, etc. :)
skicow

Postby shawn » November 23rd, 2006, 8:19 am

val wrote:Shawn, I have a 1st edition for you. Fuchikoma has a red body.

:waku:
Thanks for looking, Val. And I agree with skicow above. Also, for all those phonecalls to the makers and distributors, Domo! :chu:
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Location: Latitude 50° 48' 5'' North Longitude 1° 4' 35'' West

Postby asgard » March 17th, 2007, 10:05 am

Totally agree. This sort of thread needs to be stickied or kept for the information it contains.
Thanks again Val for sharing your knowledge with us.
asgard

Return to Manga