Bleach Volume 14- Censored by Viz (Warning, Rant...)

All about manga

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Bleach Volume 14- Censored by Viz (Warning, Rant...)

Postby Susano » August 28th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Well, I was visiting the AoD forums yesterday and came across the topic of Bleach volume 14 being censored. Apparently a page of Yorouichi transformed into her human body was not covered over by steam enough that Viz felt it was necessary to add even more steam to it.

Needless to say, I'm absolutely pissed with this. :wana: My copy was just shipped, so I couldn't cancel it, but Right Stuf CS said I could return it if I wanted. I'm not sure I'll bother since I don't get to the post office that often. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not purchasing any more new US released manga; I'm absolutely sick of this and don't want to get burned yet again by a company trying to save teenagers who are already having sex from seeing an outline of a breast and a character's navel. The only titles I'm keeping are Berserk, Trigun, and Basilisk. All other titles I am very hesitant to preorder and will likely not do so until I know for certain they have been left untouched by the sticky fingers of censorship.

There's a list of manga to avoid as well if you do not want to support censoring here.
Susano

Postby MrDisco » August 28th, 2006, 6:05 pm

seriously? that really sucks. i had a boycott on I''s for the same reason (but then in a moment of weakness broke down and bought them ) :(

i think we should just assume that any title coming here will be censored for little Billy. :evil:
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby skicow » August 28th, 2006, 7:58 pm

<sarcasm>BOOBIES ARE BAD!!! But graphic violence it's just fine. </sarcasm> :non:
skicow

Postby Susano » August 28th, 2006, 7:59 pm

Well, there hasn't been a photo to absolutely proove the censoring, but several members have mentioned it in the thread after seeing the JP image. I'll confirm it for certainty, but from the sounds of it, this is a 99% guarenteed fact. I'm usually far behind on releases for manga, so I know about censored series before I actually make apurchase. I just happened to preorder this volume during Right Stuf's studio sale, so I got hit. :cry:

I flipped ahead in my Hubby's collection of D Grayman, and I'm betting there will be an edit in the third volume of that when it gets released by Viz. There's a prominent "Fuck You" written in blood in the background that will likely see some cleaning up (not that I haven't heard worse from ten year old mouths while in Walmart that would make any sailor blush.) But I won't know for certainty until October.

After my preorder of Inu Yasha is done with, I'm switching to the JP release and I won't purchase more of Angel Sanctuary until the full series is out. Otherwise, I'll likely continue collecting Fullmetal Alchemist, but I won't preorder it just in case. Series that I've not yet started collecting I'm just going to get the JP release, Monster being one such title. I'm not even sure I'll preorder the new editions of the Shirow manga Dark Horse is putting out until I've had a chance to flip through the books first. In the long run, this will save me money since the JP releases are cheaper plus I get stamps towards gift certificates or soundtracks at Asahiya.
Susano

Postby Susano » August 29th, 2006, 11:44 pm

Pez on the AoD forums provided a side by side photo of the the Japanese tankoubon and the censored Viz release here. So it is now 100% confirmed and completely senseless. Take a look at the facing page with Yorouichi sitting with her legs splayed out and only Ichigo's finger keeping her unexposed. Viz left that image alone. :kuruc:
Susano

Postby Arcturus » August 30th, 2006, 6:50 am

You are absolutely right. That was totally senseless. Especially with the artwork on the previous page untouched.

There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to censors. We have to deal with each censor's individual reasoning. The publisher needs to do a reality check before approving any censoring, as this is a hot button issue with our community.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby DualSoul » September 7th, 2006, 5:10 am

I'm glad I don't buy US released manga (then again, my manga buying has been seriously curbed recently)...
DualSoul

Postby BennyFuentes » September 7th, 2006, 6:06 pm

good thing manga published here in Mexico ain´t censored, of course we don´t have alot of titles (yet), but the ones being published right now have no censoring on them, I´m glad I waited for the mexican release of Tenjo Tenge, I heard the U.S. version was censored :?
BennyFuentes

Postby Susano » September 7th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Benny,

Applying the word censroed to the CMX Ten Ten release is putting it mildly. It's simply horrendous to look at with all the badly drawn in granny bras and panties. Not to mention the strategically placed sound affects to cover over panty shots and things like middle fingers, etc. Then the translation itself is often times toned down or just plain poorly done. I'm so glad I had waited on that one until it was out before purchasing it; at least I didn't get stuck with that one.
Susano

Return to Manga