Figure Retrospective

All about figures, statues and models

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Figure Retrospective

Postby oroboru » July 16th, 2010, 8:32 pm

I hope that the mods don't mind me starting a new thread - figured it was somewhat different from my other thread.

I was browsing through my old Photobucket stuff, and seeing how some of my pictures had been taken of due to "violation of terms of use" or some other mumbo jumbo, as well as some pictures being of crappy resolution/quality on both Photobucket and Flickr, so I decided to take a massive pictures gallery with the affected figures with my spiffy new photocube.

Not really worth writing a full review or anything on, but I figured there might be a few figures here people haven't seen before, so I'm going to do a high level overview of the figures here. Hell, some of the figures I got before I even had a camera. It's also fun to see how things have changed through the years. I may have also reviewed some of these pieces in the past.

Obviously, I'm not going to put every picture I've taken here - don't know how many people have bandwidth/connection speed issues. Everything of course, is available at the gallery itself.

So here we go - BTW, this is obviously an ongoing project, so I'll probably add to the gallery as time goes on and I have nothing better to do. Get bored enough, I might even redo all the figures... course, I need some backgrounds first.

Gallery Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22877494@N ... 509729052/

Here's a classic - a Mai Shiranui, released by Toys Planning, based off her KoF 2002 incarnation, released in and around that time period. She's lavender, as this is a Japanese convention exclusive that I got off ebay years back for $25 CAD, including shipping. At 1/8 scale, she's definitely not the biggest thing around, nor is the most impressive T&A piece. She is rather stylish, and except for the face, does capture the character select art of that game quite well, where she is quite slim looking. Minor QC issues regarding painting and moulding, especially that awful splotch of red "shadowing" between her breasts.

Another older statue - this is a PVC Max Factory release of a resin kit back in 2002-ish. The box says she's from the Fatal Fury series, and based on the look of things, it'd probably be one of the anime movies. This piece was one that my mom, kind as it was of her to pick up from Hong Kong, was the result of her dealing with scalpers, so I think she was close to $100. Hopefully when I go back to HK this year I'll be able to find these guys and bust some heads. Anyway, this piece is a great indication of how companies progress and get better - it's hard to believe that this is the company that would eventually release the awesome Kinu Nishimura Mai Shiranui figure, as well as an excellent Morrigan statue. Sculpting is all right, if not a bit plain, but go to the gallery and see the sloppy assembly work and paint over spray on her waist area.

I think this was a 2006 or 2007 release from Kotobukiya. Sana is a character for the Welcome to Pia Carrot eroge game, and now that I look back at it, she's actually pretty risque for a Kotobukiya release. She's also one of the few statues from Kotobukiya I don't have much to bitch about - yeah the paint is still a bit heavy, but it's much better than other releases. She's semi cast off, with some nice detailing on her panties and attache straps - she also has a part on her chest that you can replace to cover up more (or less) of her breasts, giving her that extra allure of a potential wardrobe malfunction. The costume and bat wings are a nice touch as well.

Ah yes, as Mark knows, my personal favourite, the invincible Max Factory Mai Shiranui statue from Capcom Vs SNK 2. Based off artwork by Kinu Nishmura, it's pretty much flawless, IMHO. The only thin I could find wrong was that there was a SLIGHT mould line that wasn't sanded down as much as humanly possible on her thigh. Some people hate her for her breast size... er I mean personality. Some people hate her for the large doe - like eyes she has. Personally, I could care less - I say, if you're a hardcore Mai Shiranui fan, you've just got to have this in your collection. Even if you're not a hardcore fan, I say she's a great example of what a damn good PVC statue is.

The other large scale Mai Shiranui release from 2008, this one was from Daiki Kougyou, based off of work by Cobra Kai. It has the trademark puffy lips, curvaceous body, and round face is prevalent throughout his/her work. Now, at an MSRP of roughly 1.5 times that of the Max Factory release, you'd think this would be the superior statue. Well, you'd be wrong. While she is larger than her Max Factory counterpart, the only thing she's got on the other release is the cool paper fans that she comes with, and the "cast off" of her outfit. Mark and I have had discussions about this figure as well - the sculpting work on her arms, particularly her left side (see the gallery) is atrocious. I've seen better sculpting on 5,000 year old Native American art work. She's pretty good, but nowhere as good as the Max Factory release. If you want a large scale piece for display, and want SNK stuff, stick with the Daiki release of Mina from Samurai Spirits instead... I know I'm still working on that one.

Monsier Bome - remember that name? Several years ago, Kaiyodo released a whole slew of decently priced statues by this person. Some were original creations (Oni Musume) where as others were based off of popular series, like Saber from Fate/Stay Night, Kasumi from Dead or Alive, and KOS-MOS from Xenosaga. These were actually fairly good for what you paid, though the prices started getting stupid expensive by the time Volume 30 or so came out. The line also died around that time. I've got a few more (including aforementioned) that I could snap shots of if anyone cared to see them.

This Chun-Li statue is again from 2007-8 time frame. Released by Organic, it's basically a chibi version of Chun-Li based off her Street Fighter 2 incarnation, though really, I'd say it's be specifically from either Super or Super Turbo. Nothing particularly special about it - I thought it was cute and so I got it for my birthday one year. My biggest gripe with this statue is the legs - not so much the sculpting, but rather, the paint job. Too solid looking.

Poor Kasumi, what can I say? There has, to my knowledge, never, EVER, been a release of a figure by any company that has come even close to her in game CG look. You figure with all that computation model data lying around, you'd think someone would send it to the companies so they could render the damn thing properly, especially her face. She came to my collection via the same scamming prick in HK. This statue was released by Max Factory in 2007 - 8 is one that should be fairly familiar with board members,and collectors in general - she's the one with a bajillion bootlegs, and an official Japanese webpage from Max Factory telling you how to spot the real deal. Released in her P1 (blue) & P2 (white) colours, as well as her special black & gold outfit, this statue, while cute and curvy, doesn't break protocol in the sense that it looks NOTHING like her.

Still, at 1/6 scale, she's a big girl, with equally big curves. With the exception of some minor paint and assembly issues, she's actually quite a good statue, with great work on her outfit and her shoulders/chest. In fact, this is probably one of the better representations of her out there. That's not saying much, though - the only other popular franchise with equally horrible representation of its characters would be Soul Calibur... OK, maybe Tekken as well.

Anybody remember these resin statues? Released back in 2005 during the re-release of the Final Fantasy 7 Playstation title, these statues from Kotobukiya tried to capitalize on the Final Fantasy craze, though personally, I think the whole FF statue/figure thing started getting popular with the 1/6 PVC releases from Final Fantasy X. I never really got into the craze as some people did - I waited years until I saw them for sale at like $40 a pop.

As most people here know, my personal opinion is that Kobobukiya is the poster boy for the phrase "final product may vary from prototype". Hasbro may leave a few paint apps off, and Bandai may nerf a few features, but Kotobukiya, man, sometimes they'll put it into a blender, and sell you the resulting pieces. Final Fantasy 7 was a pretty old game by the time these statues were released - you'd think they had better facial drawings to work from. Being resin, the products were well polished, and paint apps were fairly sharp. They look pretty good from far away, but up close, man they needed a bit of work.

Shining Wind - a strategic RPG from Sega set in some fantasy universe. Based on it's popularity, several companies, including Kotobukiya, released statues based on the in game artwork. In fact, they're still being made to this day. The art was created by Tony Taka, who is apparently famous for doing some hentai work. The result are some very sensuous statues without the capability to cast off completely. Still, the level of quality was quite good, especially for Kotobukiya - the skin can be kind of shiny sometimes, as with other Kotobukiya releases. The two characters I have here are Blanc Neige and Clalaclan, with Blanc Neige deviating the most from her source material. I've also got the Kotobukiya Kureha release, as well as Elwyn from Max Factory. I especially love the expression on the face of Blanc Neige.

The Kotobukiya releases of the Final Fantasy X characters. I believe these were PVC versions of resin statues. I never got the chance to collect them all, and they never did release a Wakka or Seymor. Being the popular female characters, Rikku and Lulu were especially sought after - impossible to find now, they were hard to find even back in the day. Yuna, well, I'll get to that in a second. Oh, if you think these look bad, you've obviously never seen the small action figure releases - they looked TERRIBLE. It's probably no surprise that this was the last year that Square let Bandai get involved with their merchandise.

Tell me that Rikku and Lulu don't look a bit pale - yes, I know that Lulu was the resident big breasted goth, but still, they both look like they had been drained by vampires or something. I didn't know this at the time, but I thought the sun had gotten to these figures, as their prototypes showed them having, you know, colour in their skin. After some research, I realized that Kotobukiya pulled stuff like this all the time. It's not like it got a whole lot better through the years... I swear it's like their 1/6 statues are cursed. Even the more recent Witchblade statues rely on pigment in the plastic for colouring, rather than actually applying paint. Stupid cost cutting... that aside, the sculpts weren't overly dynamic, nor were the faces perfectly accurate, but I will say they did load up the outfits with a large amount of detailing - check out the belts that make up Lulu's dress, her necklaces, or her hair ornaments. The fabric folds on Rikku's outfit are equally impressive. Also, I know my pictures don't show this, but Lulu actually has legs underneath that dress of hers, legs with an actual ass attached to them.

Yuna, well, I'm skeptical as to how original the Yuna figure is. Not so much that it's a bootleg or anything, but it's just weird. Again, in 2005 or so, as part of the Final Fantasy relauches, Final Fantasy X was also relaunched, along with a few of the original PVC statues - I think it was Tidus, Auron, and Yuna. This Yuna is from the second batch, and she's definitely got a healthy glow. However, most of the detailing on her outfit are stickers that have been applied. She also looks very different from her in game character. Overall, if you had all the Final Fantasy X statues, Yuna would stick out like fresh meat at a zombie convention.

Well that's it for this entry - as stated, I'll put in more as time goes on.
Plastic... cool, sterile, and oh so pretty!
oroboru

Re: Figure Retrospective

Postby BigPfeiffer » July 19th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Mai remains and will always be the prize piece in your collection! :D I do like the Shining series of figures as well.
BigPfeiffer
Site Sponser

Postby Onegai » July 20th, 2010, 11:52 am

oroboru wrote:That's not saying much, though - the only other popular franchise with equally horrible representation of its characters would be Soul Calibur... OK, maybe Tekken as well.

Seconded. How many SC and Tekken figures have their been anyway? I know there was a Xianghua and Voldo and a biggish Ivy. An unfinished Tekken line (from which I only have Xiaoyu).
Onegai

Postby oroboru » July 20th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Onegai wrote:
oroboru wrote:That's not saying much, though - the only other popular franchise with equally horrible representation of its characters would be Soul Calibur... OK, maybe Tekken as well.

Seconded. How many SC and Tekken figures have their been anyway? I know there was a Xianghua and Voldo and a biggish Ivy. An unfinished Tekken line (from which I only have Xiaoyu).

Well, based on my fuzzy memory, I know there has been one or two large scale (1/6) Epoch resins - Nina and Anna, IIRC. There were of course, smaller action figures which look like crap, and of course, gashapons.

SC - I honestly don't know. There were some GK's of Taki and Sophitia, but if we're talking official, there is that Ivy statue, a 1/6 action figure of Taki and, well, that's all there is large scale. Smaller action figures/statues (the McFarlane SC 2 series comes to mind) exist, as with the Tekken line.
oroboru

Postby Onegai » July 21st, 2010, 2:24 am

Yes you're right about the Williams Sisters resins. There was a Devil Jin one too now that I think about it.

Funny I remember a Triad or some other such company Heihachi. :?

1/6 official Taki? Not the Triad one?

Some Kit bash figures:
http://www.figurerealm.com/ViewCustoms.php?SID=142
Onegai

Postby oroboru » July 21st, 2010, 2:54 am

Onegai wrote:Yes you're right about the Williams Sisters resins. There was a Devil Jin one too now that I think about it.

Funny I remember a Triad or some other such company Heihachi. :?

1/6 official Taki? Not the Triad one?

Some Kit bash figures:
http://www.figurerealm.com/ViewCustoms.php?SID=142

Not official - as far as I know, most resins of SC have been Garage Kit quality. That Triad figure is the one I was thinking of when I said 1/6 action figure, though.
oroboru

Postby oroboru » July 23rd, 2010, 2:35 am

Had some "do whatever" time today, and so, I continued on with my epic task. I think I'm pretty much going to shoot every figure I have - even those which were shot with my D90, as I was using my tabletop as a shooting platform for the longest time.

So, continuing on with the list...

Full Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22877494@N ... 509729052/

Megahouse Queen's Blade Ekidona - don't think she needs a whole lot of introduction. Released back in 2007, she was the first QB figure I ever purchased... obviously it's gotten a whole lot more involved for me since then. Purchased her from a local brick and mortar store with the money I made selling some old Accounting textbooks - quite the good use of recycled books, no? For a while there, Ekidona was the most famous QB figure around, with her scantily clad sultry body, as well as her epically round and shiny ass, which is shiny even to this day. I believe there were three more versions of her, and I'm looking to expand my Ekidona collection one day with some of the fine product other companies have come out with.

Really happy with the new pictures - while not as encompassing as the old ones, the increased sharpness and better lighting really brings out some of the figures finer points - and no, I'm not talking about exposed nipples.

Good Smile Company 1/8 Fate Testerossa - my knowledge of both the producer and the subject matter haven't improved since taking the original pictures back in 2007. Still have no idea what she's about, though I am quite aware of my love/hate relationship with this figure. Mainly purchased her because she had such a badass sword. However, her cape is a piece of garbage, always causing her head to pop out at the slightest touch. She's also kind of bland in the facial department, and for what she is, takes up way too much room. She is, however, quite colourful, and fully dressed in comparison to some of my other figures. The QC is fairly good, though not overly strong either - this is evident from the rough gaps between parts, as well as the shoddy curves on her shoulders.

The original 1/6 scale Maid Saber figure, produced by Alter. Released in 2008, this is a rendition of Saber in a maid uniform, albeit a bit more mature looking as compared to her anime counterpart. Other than the almighty mop, the thing that drew my attention to this statue was the incredibly loopy amounts of detailing found in her uniform. As the pictures show, there are folds everywhere - also, there are also fabric seams sculpted. Even her underwear is well detailed. The detailing on her hair is pretty awesome as well. Paint apps are great - some parts use a pearl white paint, rather than a flat one. So she's big, she's pretty - add to that the typical excellent Alter quality, you've got yourself a winner. Of course, this version of Maid Saber does look a little pedestrian and bland as compared to the new Alter one out there, but she's still a very, very good piece.

Yet another version of Chun Li - this time, it's a 1/8 resin release by Epoch, capturing her Super Street Fighter 2 self. Definitely not a T&A piece (and to be honest, her facial sculpt looks way, way, way off), this is a stylish piece nonetheless. Capturing Chun Li in her anti-air standing Roundhouse kick, the statue is very crisp and clean, much like most of the Epoch 1/8 scale pieces of the time period. Paint work is fantastic, with my only gripe (other than the facial sculpt) being that it's a resin piece, so handle with care... *sigh*. The things you learn after the fact.

Clayz - a company I hadn't heard of before picking up this piece from a fellow board member, and a company I still don't hear much out of these days. This 1/6 pvc statue is a rendition of Saber in a very simple one piece swimsuit. The sculpt is very simple and tom boyish, and the accessories (bamboo kendo stick). Not the most impressive Saber piece, but my understanding is that these weren't priced at outrageous price points either - overall, she has this quirky air about her, and would make a good filler piece to balance things out. I guess in a way, she's kind of the Michael Cera of my collection.

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4819046560_d5847aa96a.jpg/img]

More Bome pieces - this time Saber and Ignis. You know, you start putting these figures side by side, and you start to recognize similarities that give basis for what can be described as a style. In Bome's case, I identify with the facial sculpts and the eyes - specifically the size and the placement.

This 1/8 scale version of Belldandy from Oh! My Goddess! was released by Kotobukiya in 2008 or so. Being a fan of the series, and seeing so little merchandise of her at reasonable prices, she was eagerly added to my collection. Dressed in what is her Goddess garb (and battle garb, IIRC), Belldandy is flying into the sky. The sculpt has this serene quality that does capture the calm nature of the subject character (assuming she's not having fits of jealousy, of course). QC is surprisingly good for a Kotobukiya release - in fact, other than some rough flashing, she's actually quite well produced.

Megahouse Queen's Blade Rebellion Annelotte - first figure in this subset of the Queen's Blade line, and much like Risty, has no Griffon counterpart yet. She was purchased along with Menace, who I've not gotten around to taking pictures of yet. Really happy that I used additional lights on these shots, as they reflect off the armour pieces, giving a sense of metal being used.. or at least partially chromed hard plastic. Incidentally, her outfit reminds me a whole lot of Saber. Great paint applications and detailing, particularly on the armour pieces. Annelottle is a strong entry into the QB line, though definitely far from being my favourite - I think the problem stems from the fact her pose is kind of boring. On a more positive note, cast off is fairly simple (minus that stupid, stupid, stupid waist flap), and she has some really cute underwear. Maybe, like with Reina, they'll reissue her one day with a new, more dynamic pose and who knows, maybe even more cast off.

Yet another Megahouse release - this time, being Ringo from Air Gear. I know nothing about her - in fact, the only reason I even have her is because I needed to pick up something with my store credit whilst in Calgary, AB. It was, however, a good history lesson, and it provided evidence that once upon a time, Megahouse too, made figures that left much to be desired in the QC department. Problems primarily are due to lack of sanding after the figure is assembled - paint is fairly solid on this piece, though.

This 1/8 rendition of Reina Soho (aka Lady) from the Witchblade anime is produced by Organic. Purchased from a board member, the statue is a pretty good rendition of this character. Its not everyone's cup of tea - Mark knows, however, that I adore the art style used, so anytime I see some Witchblade stuff on the cheap, I'll be there to scoop it up. Being primarily white and flesh tone, painting is fairly simple and I'm happy to see they didn't screw it up. The pose, again, is a bit on the boring side, but she does have a nice set of curves to somewhat compensate for that. Sadly, The statue has some fairly ugly gaps, most notably on her right thigh, as well as where the "boots" join the legs. Still, she's a solid addition to my Witchblade collection, which is good considering this is the only figure version of her that I'm aware of.

This Kureha figure from the Shining Wind series was released as part of the Kotobukiya line. Compared with her Alter counterpart, this version of Kureha lacks some facial detailing, though the pose is fairly comparable. Much like the other Kotobukiya figures, Kureha has some minor cast off, though really, you'd never miss it (or see it, for that matter). I swear, if the Shining Wing series offered full cast off a la Queen's Blade, they'd sell a whole lot more of them - just look at the skimpy swimwear versions of these characters. Of course, that could be said about many other series as well.

Alter's 1/8 scale Witchblade - Powered Up Version - I love this statue, as it brings together my adoration of Witchblade with the quality of an Alter statue. Paint work is great, as is the moulding of the various sharp points and jagged edges of her outfit. There is nothing sloppy about this figure - she's clean and crisp, and her lines look great in photographs. She is somewhat of a pain to takes pictures of, however, due to that arm being in the way. Her base, while not fancy or anything, is at least a step above the normal Tupperware lid that most figures get. I will get my hands on that 1/6 Kotobukiya release though, one day.

Yet another Alter statue that needs no real introduction. This is probably the mother of all KOS-MOS swimsuit releases, she's quite the looker, with excellent production values. The large scale allows for some great work on her body and facial sculpt. The translucent plastic hair looks great, and I love how the assembly work is so good, it actually looks like it's resting in her intertwined hands behind her head. Detailing on the swimsuit is sweet, and assembly gaps are fairly minor. My only gripe about this statue is how lacklustre the design and assembly of her bikini bottom is.

The last one for this update. This 1/6 Nakururu statue was released by Artstorm/Lilacs, and based on what I've learned about Lilacs, she's got the same sort of average QC that all Lilac statues have, along with the somewhat weak facial sculpts. It must be said, however, that she does have some great fabric detailing, and the concept behind this statue (sliding movement) is actually quite nice. It'd be nice if she came with some of her animal friends, but that's nitpicking.
oroboru

Postby oroboru » August 4th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Got some more done this past weekend:

Megahouse Queen's Blade Tomoe. Can't really remember, but I think she was the second Queen's Blade figure I ever purchased - great price too, having found her half price at a brick and mortar store, completely pristine but with a broken plastic window. The resident shrine maiden of the Queen's Blade series, I'd have to say she'd tied for first place when it comes to the best of the first few figures released in the line. Great facial work (except the nose, an issue I have with most 1/8 statues), high production values, and great sculpting work on her outfit. Speaking of her outfit, it's actually quite involved, especially the top, which opens in a fashion similar to that of a real robe. Pose is fairly dynamic, though she's obviously not exactly cast in a battle pose (none of them are, if you think about it). The headband is a bit of a pain, as the plug is a bit smaller than the socket, and so, comes loose with the slightest touch. With the exception of the original Reina statue, most of the Megahouse QB sculpts have aged quite well - in fact, despite being 3 years apart, I'd say you can slap them all together, and you couldn't really tell the "classic" figures from the more recent ones. Unfortunately, one of the things which hasn't aged well with her is the infamous paint transfer issue with her. Comparing my new batch of pictures with the older ones, I definitely noticed a few new spots (either that, or the old camera didn't pick up the spots very well). However, it's not like I display her in the nude, or am I particularly bothered by the stains. Much like taxes, she's a part of my life, for better or for worse.

Megahouse Queen's Blade Airi. I remember falling in love with her French Maid outfit - at the time, it was the most detailed thing I had ever seen. The stand was a bit odd looking if you didn't know she was supposed to be floating - of course, she is a spirit so, what did you expect? Other than the nose, a few minor tiffs - that stupid scythe (unless I'm still in the dark after all these years) isn't held very securely, and will fall out of her hands at the slightest touch. Her cast off is a bit of a pain as well - specifically, getting that shirt off is a pain. I swear, Bud Bundy had an easier time getting the clothes off his rubber dates. Part of the problem is the ambition of the sculptor, who probably forgot to take into account the issues that the production material could cause. Mine actually has a bit of cracked paint/plastic near where her right arm meets her breast. It's not noticeable when its on her body, but when you cast off Airi, one becomes very, very concerns it'll split in half and never be put back together again. Other than that, as with most of the Megahouse QB figure, everything else is quite good. I say most, because I know of (and have) a few figures that are a bit on the weak side.

Megahouse Queen's Blade Nyx. Oh, Nyx, you vixen you. Sometimes, you run into a figure that has quite a few fantastic angles to shoot pictures from, and Nyx, IMHO, is one of them. From afar, she looks kind of plain - I mean, she is just standing there with that gelatinous staff of hers. However, a little turn here, a camera raise there, and she reminds me a lot of those femme fatales from the 50's and 60's comics - think Dick Tracy, or more recently, Madame Mirage. Sultry and mysterious - the kind that leaves you dazed and confused after she robs you blind. The "hair over eyes" look works quite well, and her open backed, long forked dress is further accentuated by those green vine things - speaking of the dress, it has the illusion of layers. Cast off is fairly simple, though I know some people are put off by the shape of her breasts. There is a bit of paint transfer, but nothing as bad as on Tomoe, who looks like she's sporting liver spots all over her body.

Megahouse Queen's Blade Melona. Purchased as part of a eBay lot, so she was obtained at a very good price. I believe Melona is the humanoid form of an acidic blob... meh, whatever. Her pose makes her a real pain to photograph, and her cast off is a bit on the unusual side... I mean, it's not as though she forms clothing or anything. There are some neat translucent colouring effects on her hair, similar in style to that of KOS-MOS. For a moderately recent figure, Melona has quite a few rough spots. Most notable is the gap on her right thigh, which is CONVENIENTLY covered by that worm thing when she's "clothed". Her butt is actually quite rough looking, and nowhere as polished as the other girls. I guess one thing she has over her competition is that she is somewhat anatomically correct - I'll let you figure that one out.

Megahouse Queen's Blade Nowa. Purchased in Vancouver at a Japanese bookstore that escapes my memory right now - on clearance, naturally. One of the earliest releases, I think Nowa was released with Reina. For the most part, Nowa has the traits of a thoroughbred Megahouse Queen's Blade statue - great sculpting, sharp decal apps, etc. However, much like Melona, if you look closely, you'll see that she's got a few weak points in the genetic chain. All of these, for some bizarre reason, involve her hands (at least on my figure). Her fists have all sorts of flashing left on it, and she has pink paint spray on her fists, which make her seem like she's got a really high blood pressure. Paint apps on that monkey of hers is good for the most part, though bizarrely weak when it comes to the face. Cast off, though, is fairly simple - however, it's effects are kind of lacklustre.

Yamato 1/6 Tandem Animals Lynx Ruby. IIRC, she was purchased from a downtown Toronto store during one of my week long jobs in the area during the Summer of 2009. I remember reading quite a bit about this particular line of figures - it was like... furries on steroids. There was a sheep, a dog, and leopard - based on my shoddy memory, only the dog and the lynx had true cast off. The others were "cast off" by replacement of figure parts. The Ruby figure I have is from the Redux release, which came with a few extra accessories (an eye patch, and an extra sword), but is pretty much the same statue. Given that it is a 1/6 statue (and she's actually sized correctly), Ruby isn't too bad of a purchase. Yes, she does suffer a bit from the weaker Yamato QC (messy paint applications, shiny skin colour), but she's still pretty neat, and it's an economical way to add a cast off figure with breasts the size of large acorns. Some of the paint applications are actually quite impressive (gauntlets and leg armour) and the pose is actually quite neat. Overall, she's got some cons, but the pros do edge out.

Megahouse Queen's Blade Menace. Received her the same time that I Annelotte arrived from Mark. Sort of the polar opposite of Annelotte, if you think about it. Annelotte is rather calm, serene, and well dressed. Menace is rather hyper looking, and I wouldn't exactly call what she is wearing "clothes". Other than the inexplicably shiny right rib cage area, Menace is another fine example of Megahouses' fine work on the Queen's Blade line. Body musculature was done quite well, as are paint apps and decals. The expression she has on her face is great as well. Adding to the fun were the extra accessories that came with her - IIRC, she came with at least a different head piece, and maybe an extra face or two. I believe that with Menace's release, work on the original Queen's Blade characters pretty much stopped - minus the recent Risty figure. I'm pretty sure there are a few more QB "classic" figures that have not been released, and I'm hoping they get to it soon. There's just something with these Rebellion chicks that just doesn't feel right.

Megahouse Queen's Blade Reina - Alternate Costume. I have absolutely no idea where this alternate costume came from... then again, I don't know a whole lot about the QB line in general. I can safely say, however, she certainly looks a whole lot better than the first version of her. Most notable for me would be her face - this version seems more accurate to the anime. Shame they never released a version that is based on that CG book of hers - I'd be curious if they could pull it off properly. The pose of this statue is similar to that of the first version, though it can be argued that really, it's a fairly generic pose so similarities are inevitable. She's armed with what looks like a unicorn horn, and has a more earth tone like colour scheme. There was a limited version of this statue with Reina in her classic colours and weaponry.
oroboru

Postby oroboru » August 13th, 2010, 2:04 am

By this point, I'm thinking I'm probably 75% through my figures... have a whole slew of mecha to go through, though.

Alter Xenosaga 3 KOS-MOS v4.0 - my first Toyslogic purchase, though from the sounds of it I lucked out on actually receiving it on time. Until that 1/4 scale figure that was released this year, this version of KOS-MOS was by far the most detailed and eloquent. Great detailing on the hair and her outfit (a combination battle armour and lingerie), combined with an ever so sweet mini-gun. After this past few years, she's developed kind of a leaning problem, though it's nowhere as bad as compared to some of the other statues out there. There are also a few weak paint applications, most noticeably the straps on the back of her leggings. Overall, the only thing that would have made this statue even more sweeter would be if I had actually been able to get T-ELOS.

Organic 1/8 Street Fighter Zero 3 Cammy, purchased during my trip to Vancouver in 2009. I'm not exactly the world's biggest Cammy fan, but I know she's had several pieces of fine, fine merchandise. This piece is a bit more cute in its appearance as compared to other releases. Overall, the piece is clean, with simple, but well executed details on the figure. Decals are applied on straight, and the braids are nicely done. The highlight for me is what looks like her hand trying to free herself from a wedgie caused by her leotard.

Alter Xenosaga KOS-MOS, purchased from a local brick and mortar store. This simple statue was released back when there wasn't a whole lot of KOS-MOS merchandise anywhere. As with most Alter figures, the detailing is crisp, and the statue has high production values. Compared to her v4.0 version, her outfit and weaponry is much cleaner. If you look at her face, she's got a rounder, fuller face as compared to the v4.0 version - I believe this was to done reflect the in game art, as Xenosaga 2 and 3 utilized a more "realistic" art style as compared to the original Xenosaga.

Kotobukiya DC Comics Supergirl, purchased from a local brick and mortar store. This statue of Superman's solar powered cousin was released back when Kotobukiya started working with DC, producing a Superman, a Joker, and a Batman statue in addition to Supergirl. From a distance, Supergirl is a very good statue, especially when compared to other Kotobukiya figures. The hair is a bit on the rough side, but the work on her face is quite nice, and she doesn't suffer from insufficient paint on her skin. Supergirl also has a nice, sexy sculpt that is anatomically impossible, much like her comic counterpart. My biggest beef with this figure is the fact her right arm has a gap right at the upper arm area - now why would you go and ruin the statue by doing something this obviously stupid?

Megahouse Queen's Blade Risty, purchased from Amazon using hard earned gift certificate money. Being the latest release in the classic Queen's Blade line, Risty is the token female barbarian of the series. Armed with a huge mace, and protected by a shield that would make King Leonidas proud, this figure is well produced, as with all other Megahouse Queen's Blade figures. Fantastic sculpt, great detailing on both her outfit and her muscles, combined with cast off that looks fabulous. She's even got little nicks and scratches on her body, undoubtedly from Risty's earlier days, as well as some nice tattoos which remind of the guy from the Mark of Kri Playstation game.

Capcom Fighting Girls Morrigan - Heavy Gauge edition. Honestly, I can't remember where I got this from... something says to me she was a local brick and mortar purchase. She was purchased to flesh out my Morrigan collection, a mighty collection which still only consists of about 5 figures. Not much to write about her - average quality, very angular in appearance. Not a big fan of her sleeve colour - blends in too much with her hands.

Kotobukiya X Plamo Tsukorou PVC Non Scale Air Statue, purchased at a local brick and mortar store. I remember selecting her for my collection based on the fact she looked NOTHING like anything else I'd seen before. She wasn't someones take on a popular character, and she had the most interesting accessories. Based on the combined efforts of several artists and creators, Air was to be the first of several original characters released - I've not seen any new ones since. Her gimmick is the air brush she's armed with, complete with what looks like a little inkwell robot thing. Air was unique, though again, suffers from some shoddy QC by way of Kotobukiya's factory. Oh right - she's also got a neat little pack in artbook as well.

Good Smile Company Shuraki Trinity - Mei Fang Liu, purchased from a board member during one of my outings to Calgary. Shuraki Trinity was a series of five original characters released with a drama CD, as well as an artbook/concept book. Of the five characters released (influenced by a range of artists, including Shunya Yamashita), Mei Fang was the only one that really clicked with me. Maybe it was the Jello green hair, or maybe it was walnut shaped head with the raisin sized eyes - either way, after I saw her I knew I wanted one. Pretty much everything about her was top notch, and in some ways, even exceeded the levels of Megahouse. One of the most significant memories I have about her is that she's a pain to cast off, and I really didn't feel like reliving that frustration for this shoot. However, IIRC, she comes a nice variety of accessories to will allow you to go from fully clothed to just undergarments.

Yamato 1/12 Mai Shiranui, bought from some dude on Craigslist during my single work outing to Vancouver. Nothing much to write about here other than great sculpt, average quality, and pain to find.

Cerebus Ikkitousen Kanu Unchou, purchased from a fellow board member. She's an interesting piece, kind of tall and lanky, but with short, stubby arms. Her outfit, as the picture shows, is really, really shiny. It's almost like she's wearing a waxed rubber suit, or something like that. Paint on the hair is on the thick side, and there isn't really a whole lot of definition there either, though at least it isn't bumpy. Cast off is a fairly straight forward task, and the results are alright. She separates at the waist, though tolerances on the gap are well done and the gap isn't too obvious. She's got some perky (if not disproportionate) breasts, as well as some ridiculous well defined butt cheeks. Overall, she's an alright statue, but nothing I'd put on my top tier "must get" list.

Kotobukiya Witchblade Normal Version, purchased from the 2010 Toronto Comi-con. Based on snippets on the Internet, this statue is considered as being the most true to the source material. After spending some time gazing on it and snapping pictures, it easy to see why. Above average Kotobukiya QC aside, the statue is quite the masterpiece. She's 1/6 scale, and dwarfs pretty much all statues from other companies. The statue looks like it was ripped right off an animation cell - the body, the facial expression, everything is just right. With the exception of sparkly red hair, even the colours selected for the statue are almost a perfect match for the animation. With the upcoming Chicago Comi-con, I'm hoping to find her line mate, the Kotobukiya Witchblade Upgrade Version so I can complete the pair. Failing that, there's always Hong Kong.

Kotobukiya Marvel Bishoujo Statue - Rogue, purchased from Mark. I remember when this line was first announced, I was quite excited. After all, famous Marvel characters, being drawn by the famed Shunya Yamashita, who favours curves on his line art women, would translate into awesome statues, right? Hell, it worked great for Dead or Alive, so it had to work here. I clearly must have been on drugs, as I forgot the Kotobukiya factor - sure enough, when I received the final product, she was good, but completely neutered compared to the concept drawings. Gone were the lines in the hair and many of the curves and eye work. Add to that the fact these statues were small, and at elevated prices no doubt due to the Marvel licensing that goes into these statues. I know that Black Widow, Scarlett Witch, and Psylocke have been released, but I've not been biting at the opportunity to get them. But hey, if I run into any of the aforementioned at acceptable prices, say like $30, I'd pick one or two up.

Organic 1/6 Witchblade Normal Version, purchased from Cards, Comics, and Collectibles in San Francisco. Two of the more interesting aspects of this statue are the fact she's more of a 1/7 scale, rather than a 1/6, and the attachment of that sword makes finding a spot for this statue on your shelf somewhat of a pain. Compared to the Kotobukiya release, this version of Witchblade isn't as savage looking. She does retain all of the essential elements of her outfit (or lack thereof), but her hair is obviously not shiny read. Those spikes of hair that originate from her head are a nice concept, but are in fact, very flaky and fall of easily. She also has some weak line work in the hair area, though its easy to overlook this due to the layering effect there.

Kotobukiya Shunya Yamashita Fine Art Busts - some look good, some miss the mark, most notably on the face/eyes, followed by liberties taken on the hair. I've only got the two here - at $70 a pop, collecting these hasn't been a priority for me.

Alter Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny Kanu Unchou, purchased from a local brick and mortar store. Up until this year or so, this was probably THE Kanu figure to get. She definitely looked more like her anime counterpart than any of her competition. Lets face it, with a great sculpt, her traditional school girl outfit, and that sexy smooth Alter QC, she looked a lot better than her competition, period. Even now, though, despite not being full cast off, she's still leaps and bounds above what is currently on the 1/8 Kanu Unchou market.

Max Factory Shining Wind Elwyn, bought at a store in Calgary, AB. Shes the only non-Kotobukiya Shining Wind statue I currently own. Quality wise, this one is above average, and shows its age in comparison to more contemporary Max Factor releases. One of her weaker points would be her cast off point, which is right beneath her breasts. The gap is camouflaged by the painted on bikini strap, which does help minimize the visual distraction. Her swimsuit is also kind of... dull. Nothing particularly gripping about it, nor is it especially alluring. Couple that with a static pose, and you have a decent statue, though definitely not a stellar one. The new 1/6 Kotobukiya release, however, is quite nice, and improves on this version greatly.

Wani Books 1/7 White Gothic Lolita Kanu Unchou, purchased at the Anime North 2008. I believe this figure was released at time when everyone was released Ikkitousen related statues. Most of the main characters pretty much had a variety of statues, most of which were niche versions of them, and nothing official. What do I mean? I know I've only watched two seasons of Ikkitousen, but I'm pretty sure Kanu never wore an outfit like this. This version of Kanu is definitely on the cutesy side, which is evident on the face. Don't have too many figures from this Wani Books company, but based on what I'm seeing here, they shouldn't be too bad.

Sugar Mint Complex 1/8 Kanu Unchou, purchased from a fellow board member. This statue is a good example of a great concept, but lousy execution. Just think about it - Kanu Unchou, posed dramatically, weapon in hand, dressed in an elegantly detailed suit of Chinese armour. All this is ruined by weak paint and weak sculpting, and is further affected by a facial sculpt that looks off. Even the fact you can flip up her chest armour is unable to counteract the fact this statue is just kind of ... meh.

Alter 1/8 Satsuriku no Jango Lily Salvatana, purchase from Mark. Based on a character from the Satsuriku no Jango eroge, the great outfit on this character is what drew my attention. What's not to love about legging wearing, German pistol packing, eye glass wearing, elf eared, purple haired cowgirl nicknamed "The Vulture"? As with other Alter statues, production values are high, with minimal sloppy areas to be found. Further making this statue even better is the fact her outfit is composed of separate pieces, and not simply painted on. This adds not only to the realism, but also eliminates the possibility of weak paint apps and lousy flashing cleaning. My only two gripes about this statue are the fact the shorts on her butt looks kind of weird, and I still think her hat is sitting too high on her head.

Kaiyodo 1/6 Street Fighter Zero 3 Cammy, purchased from Cards, Comics, and Collectibles in San Francisco. Definitely a steal for the $40 I paid for this. A mass production version of a heavily bootlegged garage kit, I was quite surprised at how well this statue turned out. Cammy doesn't exactly have the most complicated outfit, so capturing it wasn't an issue - its nice to see the use of glossy and flat paints to give the outfit a more "realistic" feel - paint on the skin is excellent as well. The pose is also very "Cammy" like, who strikes poses like this one upon a victory - she also displays those great legs of hers. I love the facial sculpt as well - a very determined look, which is appropriate for a fighter. There are some minor assembly gripes, particularly where the legs join the body, but at least there are no ugly seams or anything obvious like that. Detailing is also a bit weak on the hair on the front of the head.

Kotobukiya Witchblade Maria, purchased from a brick and mortar store in Calgary. This statue would be the first of many pieces I got from this store. She's the only release of this character in statue form - however, unlike the lead character, this one looks... off compared to the anime model. Maria also suffers from classic Kotobukiya hat hair syndrome, where there is zero detailing for the hair on the top of her head. As for her pose, she sort of... sits there. That's it, and there is no other way to describe it. It would have been nice if someone actually made a version of Maria in her Cloneblade form - being the ultimate bad guy in this series, you'd think she'd have some sort of representation.

Yamato 1/7 Kanu Unchou (Grey Version), purchased from a brick and mortar store in Winnipeg, MB. The first of the wide released Kanu statues, she was released in a variety of colours (some of which were convention specials). This statue was meant to reflect her manga look, and so looks different. Like Kotobukiya, Yamato statues can have quality issues as well - this one suffers from poorly moulded fingers and a strange paint job for her mouth (which started my crusade to scrutinize toothy statues). She's also got some really messed up looking gaps, predominately on her legs. Fortunately, I did get her at a decent price - otherwise, I'd be crying bloody murder.
oroboru

Postby Slaigar » August 13th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Good read, Oroboru. I'm enjoying the walk through your collection.
Slaigar

Postby Onegai » August 16th, 2010, 5:06 am

oroboru wrote:Image

Organic 1/8 Street Fighter Zero 3 Cammy, purchased during my trip to Vancouver in 2009. I'm not exactly the world's biggest Cammy fan, but I know she's had several pieces of fine, fine merchandise. This piece is a bit more cute in its appearance as compared to other releases. Overall, the piece is clean, with simple, but well executed details on the figure. Decals are applied on straight, and the braids are nicely done. The highlight for me is what looks like her hand trying to free herself from a wedgie caused by her leotard.

Conversely I am the world's biggest Cammy fan (well one of them anyway). I have this piece mostly because it is cammy and it is fairly decent. I prefer my figures less cute though.

Capcom Fighting Girls Morrigan - Heavy Gauge edition. Honestly, I can't remember where I got this from... something says to me she was a local brick and mortar purchase. She was purchased to flesh out my Morrigan collection, a mighty collection which still only consists of about 5 figures. Not much to write about her - average quality, very angular in appearance. Not a big fan of her sleeve colour - blends in too much with her hands.

I quite like this one, quality can be put down to date of production, Sharp and angular. So in terms of sculpting style I prefer this Morrigan over the CGS Cammy.

Kaiyodo 1/6 Street Fighter Zero 3 Cammy, purchased from Cards, Comics, and Collectibles in San Francisco. Definitely a steal for the $40 I paid for this. A mass production version of a heavily bootlegged garage kit, I was quite surprised at how well this statue turned out. Cammy doesn't exactly have the most complicated outfit, so capturing it wasn't an issue - its nice to see the use of glossy and flat paints to give the outfit a more "realistic" feel - paint on the skin is excellent as well. The pose is also very "Cammy" like, who strikes poses like this one upon a victory - she also displays those great legs of hers. I love the facial sculpt as well - a very determined look, which is appropriate for a fighter. There are some minor assembly gripes, particularly where the legs join the body, but at least there are no ugly seams or anything obvious like that. Detailing is also a bit weak on the hair on the front of the head.

Good price. To date, this is the best sculpt of Cammy that has been released to the public so far. As such I own three variants of this figure. :)
Onegai

Postby oroboru » September 9th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Between the travel to Chicago for Wizard World and Peace River, AB for work, the CNE for multiple visits, and of course, sleep, I've uploaded a whole slew of pictures from my photocube, but have not had any time to write anything. However, that's somewhat behind me, so lets carry on with the retrospectives!

Max Factory 1/6 Vampire Savior - Morrigan. Purchased from Mark, and received from him after a long, painful wait. IIRC, she was meant as a complementary piece to the Mai Shiranui I adore so much. There have been several large, badass looking Morrigan figures in the past, and this one joins that group. Based off art used for Capcom Vs. SNK 2 (Kinu again, I believe), you figure if they got it right for Mai, they should be able to do it for Morrigan. Hell, I actually paid MSRP for this statue... surely she delivered, right? Well, she's huge (probably 15 in. or so), and for the most part, she's pretty close to her artwork. Her top is tastefully low cut and protruding, and her wings are just right. Her well sculpted hips are a bit on the wide side, but don't offend me terribly. Even her face is on the money. My biggest beef with this Morrigan figure is the hair. It just seem so... half assed, you know? Not very well defined, plus doesn't quite have that flowing look that the artwork has. She's still a good statue - the hair held her back from being the GREATEST Morrigan statue ever released.

Yamato Capcom Fighting Girls - Morrigan. Purchased off eBay during my earlier days of pervy statue collecting. I have to tell you, for statue this size, she had a ridiculously high MSRP - $40 or so. Of course, I didn't pay nearly close to that - then again I did wait for almost two years before I found her for an acceptable price. I hadn't learned about scale at that point, so I was expecting something a bit bigger than a 1/8 figure. Paint work is weak, with spots of glue all over the body. The curvy body sculpt is ruined by what is best termed as a horse face with buck teeth - there is no other way around it. But hey, you live and learn, right?

Epoch/CWorks Original Dirty Pair - Kei. Purchased in Boston, MA (can't remember the store... it was near Harvard) during one of my lovely work training trips to Norwood, MA. It's interesting that properties that gave birth to the whole modern anime genre often doesn't sell merchandise very well (exception would be Super Robots, or anything mecha). I strolled into the store, and picked Kei here up for $50 or so. Granted, she's not a very exciting statue (none of the releases around the Epoch period were), but she's a nice display piece. Armed with her blaster, and sporting a paint job that screams "underpaid worker doing this by hand" in some parts, she still looks quite sharp. I would consider Kei as one of the originators of the "kill'em all" anime genre. The follow up, "Dirty Pair Flash" was a bit more gratuitous with the skin and the explosions, but for the late 80's/early 90's, this is as skimpy as they came.

Epoch/CWorks Original Dirty Pair - Yuri. Purchased from Anime North 2010 - again, prices which would suggest that the Pokemon generation isn't familiar with their anime history. I certainly hope they've taken the time to watch Astro Boy... and I'm talking the 1980's series. Anyway, Bonnie to Kei's Clyde, Yuri is supposedly the nice one of the two, more girlie, as it were. Doesn't stop her from causing equal amounts of pain and destruction as Kei does. I haven't read all the original novels yet, but in the Adam Warren world (Dark Horse Comics), this is played up considerably. Getting back to the statue, quality is identical to that of Kei, that is, she's mostly sharp looking except for the details.

Yamato 1/6 Capcom Girls - Chun Li. Interesting story behind this statue - to put things simply, she was purchased using funds from my EI benefits. Know that I was going to have work, I decided to splurge a bit. A very elegant looking statue, this statue was released during the Capcom Vs SNK era. Sculpting work is simple for most areas, with heavy detailing where it matters, such as the face and the little ribbons on her hair. Fine details are still hand painted, but are noticeably sharper than any of the Epoch statues I have. Details such as fabric detail are well done, and her pose is quite elegant.

Yujin SRDX Garou MoTW - B. Jenet. This mini statue was purchased from a brick and mortar store in Winnipeg, MB a few years back. Nothing particularly special about her, other than the fact she was the first piece of B. Jenet merchandise I ever saw.

Yujin SRDX KoF:MI2 - B. Jenet. This statue was purchased from a brick and mortar store in Vancouver, BC near Aberdeen Centre. Definitely more realistic and curvy as compared to the other statue of B. Jenet from Yujin. In addition to beefed up detailing, this statue is also sporting a rose tattoo on her shoulder, a pirate hat, and a telescope. The P2 version of this statue is has B. Jenet in what is beach gear, and the two statues have parts which can be interchanged with one another to mix it up a bit. I haven't really seen a Yujin SRDX figure in a long time - perhaps the line is discontinued? If so, then I must say the figures got better as time went on.

Epoch Vampire Savior - Morrigan. Purchased from a brick and mortar store right here in Markham, ON. Morrigan was my first - first resin statue, first purchase with a Christmas bonus, and the first resin statue I smashed into pieces through mishandling. Yes sir, I've had to put her back together several times, each time looking worse than she started off as. That aside, to me, she is THE definitive Morrigan statue. Based off game art from Darkstalkers 3: Vampire Savior, she actually LOOKS like the 2D art. With the exception of the weak masking work for her top, she is flawless - so flawless that I'm actually considering paying a fair premium so I can replace this one. This statue is quite large - topping the charts at over 15 in. A Deltolf shelf can barely contain her. Then there are those large, beautiful wings of hers. Check out the sculpting on her face and her body, and I challenge you to find a better looking specimen of this character. According to my research, a Lilith was released, but I've never seen it in person. You can bet, however, I'll be hunting the pair down when I'm wandering around Hong Kong and Tokyo in the next month or so.

Bome Dead or Alive Kasumi. I can't remember where I got her, though I suspect it was from my local brick and mortar store. Again, nothing special about her, other than the fact that being a Bome meant she was being sold at an acceptable price. Pose is pretty static, though detailing isn't bad. There was a blue and a black/gold version of this character, each with a slightly different mould.

Lilacs Art of Shunya Yamashita Vol. 1 - Kanaru. This statue was purchased "on sale" from a local import store, with the price brought down to acceptable levels. Several factors drew me to this statue - first, there is that getup that looks like something from Space Channel 5 - who else has gravity defying underwear? Then, there is that characteristic curvy body with large round eyes that is a signature of a Shunya design. Paint applications are a bit weak for the black highlites, and I think they used too much red for her skin - she looks either really embarrassed or drunk. However, Kanaru makes up for this slight weakness with that simple, but oh so seductive pose. Good times, good times.

Funny Knights 1/12 Queen's Blade Airi Desktop Figure. Purchased from Mark, this Airi was an interesting experiment - a smaller scale QB figure to accompany you when you're staring at that report you've been writing for the past two hours. Quality is what you would expect for a figure of this size, and paint work/decal work is decent. The thing that gets me the most about this statue is the horrible cast off. While I did eventually figure out how to take off the top, it still doesn't make up for the fact that Airi can't go bottomless, which isn't very good if you're marketing towards the castoff crowd.

Epoch Dead or Alive 2 - Helena. Purchased from that brick and mortar store near Harvard. My "trophy" find during that trip, as it were... of course, I only bought two things from that store anyway. One of the new characters introduced in the second DoA game, Helena is an opera singer with the ability to beat you up. I didn't use her a whole lot, but from what I can see, this statue is actually not too bad of a representation. Quality of this statue is average - not bad, but doesn't quite stick out in any way for me. Pose is pretty static too. However, this statue is one of those "rare" statues from back in the day, so I'm happy to have added it to my little harem.

Epoch King of Fighters '98 - Mai Shiranui. Purchased from a brick and mortar store in Vaughan, ON - one with a boss that potentially has peeping tom charges laid against him. Makes for a pretty good story though. Anyway, this is one statue I was looking to get eventually, assuming that I came across one at a decent price. Sure enough, it happened. Detailing on this statue is above average, with the only weak areas being around some assembly points, the hair, and that oddly empty mouth. Still, not too bad given her pedigree of being a resin Epoch statue.

Yamato Creator's Labo 16 - Ignis. Purchased from Mark for a reasonable price. This was one of those statues that I wanted to get, but didn't want to pay the MSRP for. This Ignis is actually quite a nice statue - great detailing and paint applications, along with a really dynamic sculpt, though twin uzis, rather than one uzi and a sword, would have looked cooler. Even the base is nicely done... just look at the detailing on that tongue and the jaws! Cast off is well done, with the ability to take off her skirt and her top. The only real complaint I have about this statue is the choice of materials for the costume - in particular, I'm speaking of the straps on the back of her top, which were brittle and snapped off the first time I tried to dissemble her.

Epoch Dead or Alive 2 - Lei Fang. Purchased from the comic book store with the peeping tom. This figure was also part of a large collection that was sold to the store owner. I'm sure the owner had some idea what these were, but without boxes it's pretty hard to charge a premium for them. Any, of all the DoA2 Epoch statues I've seen, Lei Fang is arguably the best one. Yes, her eyes are a bit small, but beyond that, everything seems to be in good shape. Detailing is great, hair is well done. She even looks like her in game model, which is more than I can say for pretty much every Kasumi statue I've ever seen. While Lei Fang is not cast off, her tight dress does her justice by highlighting her curvy, yet muscular body.

Kotobukiya Beat Blades Haruka - Damaged Version. Purchased from a brick and mortar store in Calgary, AB during one of my business trips there. For a while there, it seemed like every company was making statues of this character, with all the statues looking more or less the same due to reuse of the same pose. I do believe that this statue has the distinction of being the only statue in my collection for a character based on a eroge game, and not have the ability to cast off. It's... well, mind boggling, really. I guess Kotobukiya tried to compensate for that by making this "damaged" version of the statue, with articles of outer clothing removed in strategic places. Quality is quite good for a Kotobukiya release, and Haruka is definitely very curvy. She's also the proud owner of that nifty Shuriken base. Her face, however, throws me off... it just doesn't seem as lively as other statues of her. However, the red cheeks of embarrassment are a nice touch.

Epoch Garou MoTW - B. Jenet. Purchased during my visit to Anime North 2010. She's definitely one of those statues I'm glad I got at a reasonable price, otherwise I'd cry. Being old school, I think the designers were aiming for the fewest number of parts possible. In fact, I can't find any assembly joints on her body at all. She also lacks any real muscle definition, most notable on her feet which look like tubes with protrusions on them. Her hair looks like a mangled piece of cat regurgitation. Having said that, the paint work is quite good, with the masking job is superb - there is very little paint bleeding anywhere.

Alter Getsumen To Heiki - Mina. Purchased on a whim at a brick and mortar store in Calgary, AB. This whimsical statue was acquired due to Alter quality rather than familiarity with the subject matter, or risque-ness of the statue itself. A very clean piece, with superb QC work and paint applications. Everything just looks nice and rounded. The rabbit themed outfit and accessories look cute, though I don't know if I'd want to walk around with a carrot shaped mallet - I'd demand carrot launching twin cannons instead.

Megahouse Queen's Blade - Aldra. Purchased from HLJ during one of its clearance sales. Aldra has the distinct pleasure of being the only statue that has functional sharp points so sharp that they broke my skin when I was first taking her out of her box. My understanding is that Aldra isn't as popular as her other friends because she was born with an extra flexible appendage. Personally, I'm all about the quality of the figure, and from that perspective, Aldra doesn't disappoint. As always, she has that Megahouse pedigree working for her, with sharp paint applications and great QC everywhere. She is also unique in the sense that you can pose here one of two ways. I wouldn't say she's the best QB character, but when they're all great, it's hard to say one sucks.

Orchid Seed: Ignis the White statue. Purchased from a board member. What to say about this statue... well, she's probably the "ultimate" Ignis statue. I've honestly not seen anything larger or more elaborate than this. Wearing, at first, a slick bridal dress which transforms into lingerie, I think that the designers were aspiring for greatness. Sculpting on the dress is very good, marred slightly by weak paint applications, in particular the darker coloured accents (buckles mostly). Love the number of straps just kind of floating in the wind. Conversion to lingerie mode is a bit annoying, but is mostly worth it. I say mostly because of the awkward looking gap where her upper torso and lower torso meet. I have a love/hate relationship with the removable chest cups - I love them, because if you plug in the place holders after you're done, it looks great. I hate them, because a slight breeze could knock them off. The biggest disappointment of this statue would be the face. The paint colour is a bit of, and the facial sculpt seems to deviate from the prototype quite a bit, with smaller eyes, and a rounder face. It's not enough to ruin the statue, but it is a distraction. But hey, with so much to look at, why focus on one spot?

Griffon/R-Line Queen's Blade: Angel of Light - Nanael. Purchased from HLJ during one of their clearance sales. Well, there are certain things I love about this statue. For starters, did you know that I didn't have to worry about breaking this fragile, resin piece? No sir, she came PRE-broken - I have to tell you, was that ever a load of my mind. Nanael was purchased to fill two gaps in my collection - I had no angel representation in my QB line, and also, I wanted to know just how good Griffon stuff was. Nanael isn't too bad, actually. Paint and detailing on the whole is well done, and I love the variety of paint colours used on her. Detailing for the sculpt is quite good, most notably in the wings and on her legs. Facial sculpt is very comedic, and is a great representation of the box art. Weakest point would be assembly work on her top. It's weird - all this great work, then they just kind of stick her top on. Yes, I know it's not supposed to perfectly mesh with the cast off piece, but when the front and back of the dress don't line up, it's not cool. Especially when it's resin, with supposedly tighter tolerances. I'm sure other Griffon resin pieces are just as good as this one, but fear of breakage - and price, are going to be limiting factors on how many of these I can squeeze into my collection.

Kotobukiya Gurren Lagann Yoko - Movie Version. Purchased from a brick and mortar store in Toronto, ON. This is the first Yoko statue I ever purchased. I have no idea how well she matches up to her movie counterpart, but I've not read any complaints anywhere. Much like most of the Kotobukiya 1/6 line up, sculpting is pretty good, solid detailing is present, but the statue is lacking some paint on the skin. Yoko actually looks pretty pale under normal light, and even in this picture you can see she isn't glowing with the radiance of one thousand suns. The statue comes with a variety of accessories, including a nifty sniper rifle which can convert into several modes. However, at least she doesn't suffer from hat hair, or lumpy paint apps.

Kotobukiya Witchblade Masane Amaha - Limited Edition. Purchased from a brick and mortar store in Parsippany, NJ. I think this is about as pervy a statue as we will ever see from Kotobukiya. I love how curvy her body is, and the larger 1/6 scale helps to further emphasize these assets. Unlike most other Kotobukiya figures, she's actually not pale - in fact, she has a healthy glow to her. Work on her hair is decent - it's not perfectly smooth, but certainly it is above and beyond typical Kotobukiya stuff. Assembly work is well done, and muscle detailing is well implemented. You've also got to love the pose and the expression of surprise on Masane's face.

Max Factory Kemeko Deluxe! Figure and Nendoroid Set. Purchased as part of a lot of eBay. Again, another property I'm unfamiliar with, though it sounds like a comedy of sorts. This set consists of the Kemeko Nendoroid and the 1/8 scale MM figure. Kemeko is a robot that MM somehow fits into, and is what is seen by characters in the show more often than not. It looks... cute, and comes with a few accessories. The MM figure comes with a set of removable legs that combine with parts from the Nendoroid to form a combination. It's a neat set, and has that strange "it could only exist in anime" look to it. QC work on the whole is great, as is sculpting and paint applications. The only real area of weakness would be where MM's legs disconnect from her body - of course, it can be hard to avoid misalignment at parts that are meant to be disconnected.

Well that's pretty much it for the anime figures - there are a few stragglers that I'm sure will be get photographed in the future, but for now, expect a whole slew of ROBOTS.
oroboru

Postby Onegai » September 11th, 2010, 4:02 pm

I just love your bargain hunter attitude! :)

I wanted this but I thought the going rate at the time was too high. :(
Onegai

Postby jkno » September 16th, 2010, 6:39 am

Excellent reviews and photos!!
"Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away"

My collection
jkno

Postby oroboru » October 14th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Thanks again for the compliments - at least I know someone is reading this thread!

Things have been... busy. Haven't really had the time to sit myself down with my photocube and snap away. Hopefully in the near future I can back to digitizing my Sentai stuff.
oroboru

Next

Return to Figures / Statues / Models