FAKE Art books...

Discussion of fakes / bootlegs of art books. Get rid of them like the plague!

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Postby Effini » May 18th, 2006, 6:41 pm

val wrote:If the box doesn't have a Japanese maker's copyright with contact information, copyright of the artist and publisher of Death Note, or any valid information that can be found on the JP market, it's most likely a fake product. Ask the seller to show you the back of the box and maker's/artist's copyright. If they say Bandai, Animate, or Cospa, you should be able to find it online at either site w/out trouble. I have already searched for the product, and I do not believe it's a legitimate Japanese product. The companies behind this stuff make necklaces and goods for nearly every anime and game out there. Most of them look nice but they are not sold in Japan, licensed by the maker, etc.

There are only a couple companies in Japan that are licensed to make cosplay items. The fact that the company and artist are not mentioned is kind of a dead giveaway. The box should also have the JP retail price on it and either a JAN code or ISBN.

If only HK sellers are offering it, I would be worried. eBay is flooded with bootlegs, and they are sold worldwide. In fact, you will find more bootleg "goods" for Japanese anime & games on eBay than real products, and most of those end up in stores in North America too (and around the world). Many stores can't get legit products from Japan, so they buy from HK companies because there's a demand. If there's a demand, HK and China are always willing to meet that demand, even if they must invent the item.

Also, Japanese take great pride in packaging, and they are aware of bootlegs. As a result, items are shipped in high quality packages with proper markings. It's kind of like seeing merchandise for a Marvel series without Marvel's name and all the proper copyright attached to the series

Wow this all very useful :ah:. There should be a post stickied with all the info you should look out for and ask about when buying anime/manga related goods so you don't buy anyting counterfeit.
Effini

Postby MrDisco » May 18th, 2006, 7:44 pm

There should be a post stickied with all the info you should look out for and ask about when buying anime/manga related goods so you don't buy anyting counterfeit.

this thread has been stickied to cover bootlegs.
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby asgard » May 20th, 2006, 11:51 pm

I was wondering if we could also add online STORES that sold bootlegs?
I personally don't buy artbooks from eBay (unless I TRUST the seller won't be selling bootlegs, which right one is just Val) but I do buy a lot from online stores. I know one online store that sells bootlegs, and thats Cartoon Passion @ http://www.cartoonpassion.com/

You just have to look at what they're selling to see it, but I know for a fact that their stuff is bootleg. They came to a local convention here in NZ twice and most of the stuff they sell (artbooks, merchandise, wall scrolls etc.) is bootleg. They were banned from the conventions in Australia for that crap and we banned them from NZ too.
asgard

Postby Siye » May 21st, 2006, 4:58 am

Yeah okay.. I have a question about an online store too. What about animebooks.com... I mean I thought they were pretty legit since they have a very diverse selection and the business was one of teh first big ones out there... but lately I think i've heard people say that they have stocked bootlegs? I'm pretty curious.
Siye

Postby val » May 21st, 2006, 6:28 am

CartoonPassion's merchandise is quire obvious, and it's very similar to all the HK stuff you see on eBay.

There are many online stores that sell bootlegs too. It's kind of obvious when they carry a lot of older releases or sold out items. You can't always tell by the price either.

Animebooks used to sell bootlegs. I think they cleaned up their act.

Unless a store is here defend themselves, I prefer not to see a thread listing names based on hearsay or half the story. There are a lot of people online who post to boards for shock value or to fullfil whatever void they're experiencing in their lives. They tend to word things in a way to appear bad when they actually have no negative experience with the store. It's just not right, and I would hope this thread could be more educational than targeted against particular retailers based on gossip. If you know they DO sell bootlegs or bought a bootleg from the retailer & the retailer knew it was fake when he/she sold it, then that's another story.

Nearly all of the stores in the USA carried bootlegs at one point or another. Even Animenation had fake goods at one time but they stopped pretty quickly and so did Animebooks.
val

Postby val » August 29th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Oxide 2x - bootleg version...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26fvi%3D1

Watched the seller sell 5 already...
val

Postby MrDisco » August 29th, 2006, 11:29 pm

how can you tell it's a bootleg?
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Susano » August 29th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Hmm, I must admit I'm not certain what to look out for when spotting bootlegged artbooks. I really wasn't sure what the difference for the Oxide 2x bootleg to the original was aside from the e-bayers suspiciously cheap price. Though I must admit I've never seen the original one to really be able to spot the difference. :ase:
Susano

Postby mighty_vespa » August 30th, 2006, 1:35 am

It sucks that it's all come to this. The rampant number of bootlegs across auctions and storefronts have just led me to whittle down my buying options. Big time. I think the number of "online" merchants I trust to buy artbooks from can be counted on one hand. And y'know what? I'm okay with that.

I enjoy the peace of mind that comes from dealing with persons or companies that are in the business of selling legit merchandise. Yeah. I'm willing to miss out on a "once-in-a-lifetime" deal, if it means I even have the slightest uncertainty about a seller. *shrug* It's not like when I first started collecting I was able to get my hands on every artbook that I wanted. Be great, if i did.
mighty_vespa

Postby BennyFuentes » August 30th, 2006, 3:30 am

the colors on this print http://toymonster.jetso3.com/illustrations/oxide2/n.jpg are totally messed up, the yellow in the sky is suppossed to be orange, and the blue dress is actually light purple, I have a copy of the Oxide 2x, so I checked, also the second photo of the opened book is really really dark compared to the original. http://toymonster.jetso3.com/illustrations/oxide2/c.jpg
BennyFuentes

Postby val » August 30th, 2006, 4:23 am

I'm replying quickly so please forgive the rambling comments, but I'll explain more later...

How do I know? First clue is the price. Second clue is the seller's product catalog as a whole. Did you look at his catalog? A lot of the books include CDs. His Mai Hime Illustrations by Softbank is hard-cover (s/b soft-cover)and the colors have too much contrast. His Ragnarock fan book should be bigger in dimensions, and it's been out of print for a year or so, not to mention, there's absolutely no way to buy the book for that price through wholesale or even used in Japan. I don't think he has some special connection that allows him to sell an out of print book for 50% of retail in brand new condition. It just doesn't happen in Japan. It's highly unlikely the seller has one legit book, and it happens to be OXIDE 2x. For OXIDE 2x, the colors are wrong and tone is lost in the background color but it goes a little deeper than that... the most obvious point to me is the paper and how the color/contrast appear on the paper. The real Oxide 2x is printed on high grade, matte bond paper with a slight texture. The real cover is also printed on a semi-gloss bond with silk or something like that in it, so the crease at the top of the image on the front bothers me because it should not crease like that. The content should not shine like glossy paper and the colors are also off. Now, if it were OXIDE or OXIDE 2, the content should slightly shine.

I'll post more later when I have time.
val

Postby val » August 30th, 2006, 5:22 am

Here's another seller with the fake OXIDE 2x, and it's a US seller who says it's NOT a Hong Kong version:
http://cgi.ebay.com/OXIDE-2-2X-Kim-Hyun ... dZViewItem

Note: Description says, "..printed in high premium glossy paper."

Oxide 2x is not printed on glossy paper. I've found paper type to be a common difference between an authentic JP version and bootleg version. Bootlegs are most likely scanned, and then reprinted with a laser printer. My theory is detail, color & tone are lost when a book is copied behind the different paper types is caused by the need to preserve as much detail as possible. So, they probably use glossy paper to bring out contrast and smaller details. As a result, bootlegs are frequently glossy inside, so it's good to know if you're buying a book with the proper paper quality.

Also, bootlegs are frequently sold as "brand new & sealed" or "brand new in bag". Very few books ship sealed in Japan. Most shops add plastic to protect their merchandise. OXIDE 2 did not ship sealed by EnterBrain.
val

Postby Susano » August 30th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Ahh, thanks for the info, Val and Benny. I didn't look at the seller's other items, but it certainly sounds like there's no legitimate books in the bunch. I'll have to make certain to remember the glossy paper being a possible way to spot bootlegged books.
Susano

Postby BennyFuentes » October 15th, 2006, 9:13 pm

OMG !!!!! FORM CODE HAS BEEN BOOTLEGGED !!! :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Range-Murata-Formco ... dZViewItem

The only interesting part of it, it´s that it includes some illustrations from S magazine.
BennyFuentes

Postby mighty_vespa » October 16th, 2006, 12:32 am

BennyFuentes wrote:OMG !!!!! FORM CODE HAS BEEN BOOTLEGGED !!! :shock:

But...but its TERRIBLE COOL!!
mighty_vespa

PreviousNext

Return to Fake / Bootleg Art Books