Yellow Tag: 42 for Comiket 72

All about doujinshi

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Yellow Tag: 42 for Comiket 72

Postby K2kevn » August 1st, 2007, 3:15 am

Looks like Ugetsu has something called "42" coming out for Comiket 72. Looks like some new material at least.

http://42comix.blog84.fc2.com/

I'm in for one guaranteed if you can get it Val!
K2kevn

Re: Yellow Tag: 42 for Comiket 72

Postby MrDisco » August 2nd, 2007, 1:35 am

mmm i love Yellow Tag :) nice find
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby val » August 7th, 2007, 11:52 am

Hey K2kev,

thanks for the heads up and support! :)

Unfortunately, I probably can't pull off Comiket & Wonder Fest this time. I'm committed to shipping eBay-related orders & special orders, as well as some small projects right now, and I can't do both this month without risking problems down the road. I also don't know what's releasing or any prices so I can't really take advance orders either. If I could get a few dozen preorders, then I could pull it off but I'm not aware of anything that would sell in higher volume in advance. It's too bad TB is not releasing.

Moving twice in a 4 months period in Japan has really set us back. Total damage broke $15000 in cash over 2.5 months, so for the first time in nearly 9 years, I have to skip out this Summer events because I don't have any excess budget for events and can't justify that expense because it will slow down everything else right now. Unfortunately, the situation with eBay suspending our account only made everything worse than I could have ever imagined, so having paid out $1000s since last month, I really have to be careful right now with purchasing items. If you think about it, we've pretty much been closed since the end of February when we got suspended. Of course, I did get really sick for a period there too which contributed to the slow reopening of the store. Unfortunately, most of our regulars have not returned since trying to restart on eBay, so we're feeling it right now.

Comitia is at the August & Yellow Tag will sell 42 then too. Once I know the costs, I can get a count who's interested and I will attend & buy the book if there's enough interest. It won't be as difficult to find as YT's last doujinshi but unfortuantely, I can't attend this event either if interest is too low. However, August is the slowest month for a store, so I have to wait until things pick up again.

Perhaps, I should have retired when we had to move again. It's far too exensive to move in Japan, and sadly, you don't get any of the money back when you leave.

Sigh, I'm really bummed about this too but I really have to watch my spending right now. :(
val

Postby K2kevn » August 9th, 2007, 2:39 am

That's OK Val. We all appreciate what you can and have done for us collectors. We understand it's been a rough couple of months. My brother in law worked in Japan for 2 years and he couldn't believe the prejudice/racism that is so public out there for gaijins and he's Japanese! He felt like assaulting some of those people. I know I would!

But you can count me in for one YT: 42 for sure if and when you ever get it.
K2kevn

Postby val » August 10th, 2007, 3:34 pm

Hmmm,

Now that TB is releasing at Comiket, I am reconsidering because I can't get his doujinshi from another event.

I will stop by Yellow Tag & Murata's tables at Comiket to see what's being released & the cost, and then take pre-orders for purchase at Comitia. I am reluctant to stock doujinshi in volume right now. If a copy from Comitia works for you or anyone else that's interested, then you can count on me for that event. It's 8 days after Comiket. It's closer to me too, so it's easier to attend.

Yeah, most people are surprised to hear there's racism in Japan, but it runs deep. You have to live here and try to survive on the Japanese market as a long-term resident to actually notice & feel it. Once reality sinks in, it can hit you pretty hard and then you see it in every aspect of your day-to-day life in Japan. In addition, as a foreigner, you're a guest in the country, and even with laws to protect your rights, you really don't have any enforceable rights because most police & government officials are prejudice too. Don't get me wrong -- there are good people and positive aspects about Japan but I'm not sure (at least for me looking over the last year) if it balances out at the end of the day. Once things settle, I may feel different about how it balances out, so I'm probably a bit too negative right now.
val

Postby Mr. Lobster » August 10th, 2007, 7:12 pm

Hey I would be interested in TB doujinshi.
Mr. Lobster

Postby K2kevn » August 10th, 2007, 8:52 pm

Val,

I'm in for Yellow Tag's and Murata's as well. Also check your PM's. Thanks again.
K2kevn

Postby MrDisco » August 11th, 2007, 6:47 am

you know i'm always good for tb, murata, or yt :)
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby val » August 11th, 2007, 11:22 am

I changed my mind about WF too. I will attend in 12.5 hrs to buy some limited stuff. Let you guys know what I got when I get back. ;)
val

Postby MrDisco » August 11th, 2007, 12:18 pm

woohoo! good luck at the show!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Neurohard » August 13th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Sign me up for one of each. Hope Wonder Fest went well.
Neurohard

Postby shawn » August 13th, 2007, 5:45 pm

I'm good for RM and UH, and maybe TB. :ne:
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Location: Latitude 50° 48' 5'' North Longitude 1° 4' 35'' West

Postby washone » August 14th, 2007, 2:24 am

Also at comiket will be YT new book NEONTETRA A4 32 pages via the yellow tag blog. Also there is a limit of 3 books per person at comiket. YT will also be selling at comiteia. So I just put it out there that I'm interested in both of these books 42 and Neotetra. Unfortunately there isn't a cover image yet. I'm hoping that this latest book will be mostly new art and not the usual mix of a few new pieces and old art.
washone

Postby val » August 14th, 2007, 5:59 pm

by washone on C 14 Aug 2007 10:24 AM
(snip)
Also there is a limit of 3 books per person at comiket.

He is a strange artist, huh?

I don't know of a single artist that limits a new doujinshi at Comiket... that's unless it's an extremely limited print and the artist must to prevent one or two people from buying every copy of a limited print. I don't think either YT book falls into the super rare doujin that quadruples in price instantly. In those cases, the limited release is limited to prevent re-sellers from buying every copy. If any artist enforced a limit, I would think it's TB, Man in the High Castle, or Yoshitoshi ABe, but none of them enforce a limit.

I wonder what his logic is behind "limiting". If he's trying to be fair, then I think he'll make it much more difficult for fans to get his doujin at reasonable cost because most people buy for a group of friends at Comiket and each friend normally targets one or two tables at Comiket. If an artist's table is popular, it can take 2-4 hours of waiting in line to buy one copy, so you can buy more if 10 people each wait & buy from 1-2 artists. If each person can buy one item for a group of people, then everyone buys more, and no one misses out. I think we're going to see YT sold at really high prices on Yahoo after Comiket because a lot of people are going to miss out if there's a limit.

I'm hoping that this latest book will be mostly new art and not the usual mix of a few new pieces and old art.

If there is new work and distribution is limited, some people are going to miss out. After the whole Lith & Orbital w/Limited "Comiket Only" slip turned out to be anything - but limited to Comiket in the end - I don't know what to expect of Yellow Tag. I thought UH Rondo would be around for a long time but I can't even find a copy used for under $25.00 now. It vanished really fast. Ugetsu doesn't seem to supply each store with each release, which is odd because most artists are loyal to the same doujin stores and distribution is automatic. Yellow Tag doesn't work that way, so I never know what to expect after Comiket. There were a few stores that had every release up to Parhelia Flagment 2, but they could not stock any YT after that.

I do not want to pick and choose who gets what, so the whopping 2 (3 less 1 for us) copies will be sold first come, first serve. Sorry to anyone who has messaged me directly about YT but I really don't want to show favortism to anyone and I didn't expect there to be a limit. I had 6 copies to post last time, and it wasn't really worth the amount lost to fees, plus only 2-3 people at the forum got it and I felt really bad.

Assuming there's no limit after Comiket, there's still hope for Comitia. Actually... Wasn't Ugetsu in Synchrotone? I believe Keibunsha was introduced properly to Yellow Tag, so they get every release, even extremely limited prints that no one gets. I'll have Steve call Murata and ask for an introduction. He did invite us to view Cherry Blossoms with Gofa's staff and other artists in April, so we could probably ask for that favor. Unfortunately, we were moving at the time, so we couldn't attend but Murata is so friendly that I think he would help us out and it is the proper way to expand your business contacts in Japan. We already tried to buy in volume from Ugetsu but he would only sell what he had with him and did not want to distribute. I think he reprinted lith, orbital & parhelia flagment 2 too many times, so he's probably being careful with future releases.

BTW, Manganomori's main/largest store in Tokyo closed down a week or so ago. The company's president & management worked out of that location too. I went there last week. It was gone! There wasn't even a notice posted and the address has been dropped from their web site. The location was definitely their busiest/better store. They're not reopening the store either. It's a real shame. They're like Japan's oldest manga chain, and appear to be hurting with today's generation because no one (in Japan) looks at Manganomori like an otaku/doujin shop. I was surprised when they ventured into doujin. They get a lot of limited stuff too but it doesn't turn very fast. I'm surprised they've lasted this long w/doujinshi because they mark up doujin like normal books, 20-25% on cost. Sorry for rambling off topic. I just started thinking about the silly limit, stores that suddenly don't get stock of YT, large chain that does get ample stock of YT closes main store, etc... my mind ran with it…
val

Postby Siye » August 14th, 2007, 7:08 pm

^ That's interesting about Yellow Tag. Maybe he just wants to be a wildcard. lol
He's trying to keep things unpredictable and interesting (if not pissin off quite a few in the process).
Maybe he flips a coin to decided whether a release is really limited or not?
Most curious and one can only imagine. ^^
Siye

Next

Return to Doujinshi