Comiket 72

All about doujinshi

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Comiket 72

Postby Firestorm ZERO » July 28th, 2007, 10:34 pm

Comiket 72 is coming soon. Aug 17 to 19 I believe. Anyone know what some doujin circles are offering?

Unfortunately for me, I don't think I can buy anything ~_~ as I am strapped for cash right now.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Re: Comiket 72

Postby Siye » August 1st, 2007, 1:41 am

I was lookin up Jun Tsukasa's site and looks like there is no TB07???
Siye

Postby val » August 1st, 2007, 2:20 am

That's odd. I know he plans to bring 200 copies of TB 06 because he had stock reserved for it.

He's a bit weird about his doujin releases. Last Winter, he only brought 50 copies of TB 06 to the Comiket. We wanted to buy more but he said he didn't bring more than 50 copies, and they lasted less than an hour. At that time, he said he would have stock at Summer Comiket and he intended to bring more copies, 200 to be exact, for that event. Steve and I have decided that he's either very insecure about his work not selling out or he's trying to move away from doujinshi.
val

Postby Siye » August 1st, 2007, 4:55 am

I don't know if he's in a position to be insecure. He's def a BIG NAME when it comes to the industry.. atleast in my opinion. He's being doin doujin for years and years... pretty strange if he was being shy about it.
BUT.. maybe he is trying to move away from doujinshi. That's kinda sad though. I love his artwork. :(
Siye

Postby val » August 2nd, 2007, 5:55 am

Yeah, I agree that he's an awesome artist, and it's hard to imagine that he's insecure but I guess I mean insecure in another way.

I have only seen TB sell out at Comiket when DRAW first released but he didn't print enough that time. He then reprinted, and it took several events to clear his stock. He always leaves Comiket with boxes of calendars. The posters took a long time to sell out too.

When he was about to release DRAW and the posters, he made some weird comments on his blog about "cost" and his concerns with excess stock. That's when he went to Comiiket w/a limited print of DRAW and it sold out really fast. He wasn't going to print more but then he did reprint & it didn't sell out immediately. TB 2006 didn't sell out at the Summer Comiket & he still had DRAW. He then showed up at the Winter Comiket w/50 copies of TB 2006 & still had DRAW but it finally sold out. I can sell 50 copies of TB 2006 pretty easily, so I'm not sure why he brought just 50. I suspect that he did one print, like he intended with DRAW, and he's spreading the stock without printing more.

As for insecure, there are some popular artists that bring 20,000+ copies to Comiket but those artists can sell that many before noon and the books still hit prices within Japan because the demand is that strong. I don't think TB can sell even 1000 copies at an event, and the line is never very long but he's an established pro artists. His doujin is not hitting high prices on Yahoo Japan either. That's what I meant by insecure, like he's avoiding discomfort by shorting stock & selling less so demand appears higher. I have absolutely no idea whether my observations reflect his actual views, so please take my comment as a personal opinion (not fact). If you follow his blog, then you'll find that he makes comments about his concerns which give me the impression that his expectations at Comiket have not been reached in a long time.

I wonder what he does with the calendars. I'd like to get more TB 2007, and I know he left with boxes of it. Same thing w/the 2006 calendar. However, he only sells the calendar once at the December Comiket before the new year.
Last edited by val on August 2nd, 2007, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
val

Postby shawn » August 2nd, 2007, 6:01 am

val wrote:*snip*As for insecure, there are some popular artists that bring 20000+ copies to Comiket but those artists can sell that many before noon. I don't think TB can sell even 1000 copies at an event, and the line is never very long but he's an established pro artists. *snip*

I wonder who the 'other' popular artists that could sell that much doujinshi in a few hours are...
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Location: Latitude 50° 48' 5'' North Longitude 1° 4' 35'' West

Postby val » August 2nd, 2007, 6:17 am

Here's an obviouse one:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=482

Type Moon can far exceed 20,000 at Comiket. At the last Comiket, Type Moon's new book with Nitro+ sold with a consistent line for 3 days straight that took no less than one hour of waiting, and the line was still there as it got dark. When Saigado was popular, he'd sell 25,000 copies, and print about 50,000 copies at a time. Nakayohi Mogudan can sell that many copies. Tony, T2 can also sell that many copies, and it can take a good hour to get through his line.

Basically, if you're looking at a map of tables, then the popular artist are on the outer edge of the room. This allow lines to form. The tables on the outer corners by a door that leads outside are the most popular artists because it allows people to line up down the street and around the building.
Last edited by val on August 2nd, 2007, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
val

Postby Siye » August 2nd, 2007, 6:18 am

I suppose the most accurate description would be a "hobby" artist in the truest sense.
From what I've seen he doesn't try to profit at all from his art, nor does he try to gain popularity through commericial means.
Even if he decided to sell his books through other outlets, he'd be more recognized and I'm sure his book sales would rise astronomically.
The simple fact is that people don't really know about him, and his books are relatively hard to find.
I wish he would atleast use some consignment stores... but I really respect this aspect of him.
It's gotta be hard to fight the temptations of monetary gain.. which sooo many others have fallen for.

Props to the Tsukasa man~ Really an artist who tries to keep it small and personal. :)
Siye

Postby val » August 2nd, 2007, 6:59 am

I don't know why TB doesn't sell in stores, but I do know that he used to sell at Toranoana. If you search their database, you will find TB Special from 2000, as well as a couple calendars. At some point, something changed and he stopped consigning his doujin. Perhaps, his work at Tora didn't sell out fast enough, so he stopped selling it. He may have been embarrassed or disappointed by it. I don't really know but I would not be surprised if it was something like that.

I remember when AZASUKE WIND refused to sell his art, but then he made a CD and a ton of money. I think he's now on collection 9. However, he was popular from the Internet, which is quite unique. When he released his first CD, it sold out instantly on Tora's site, and all of his stock sold at Comiket. He was really shocked. Since then, the demand for his CDs has decreased because it's easy to get now. He recently made a doujinshi, and of course, no one can get it, so everyone wants his work in a book now.

Type Moon had to go commercial to meet the demand. They represent every amateur manga-ka's dream, like Clamp. They were known for their doujin, and the demand was so high that neither circle could handle the cost or number of fans. In that respect, they did the right thing because their work is more affordable now, and they're able to reach fans around the globe. I don't think it's really about money either.

Tsukasa Bullet is an awesome artist. I think TB is known, but his work is not going to appeal to everyone and he's been profiting off the same kind of art & theme (guns, sex & women) for more than 10 years. Range Murata is a perfect median between main stream anime and progressive artists, so he appeals to many markets. TB needs to do something new that's big around the world and in every household that watches anime for him to gain the same popularity as other high demand artists. He needs to create characters that everyone can fall in love with, so he really does limit himself by appealing to the "adult gamer" market.

TB has gone commercial. Simply look at his figures. However, most of his figures are original characters that appeal to the same adult gamer market. They're also expensive, and the same characters he's been illustrating since he entered the pro scene.

At one event, there was a guy with a signing board who was literally begging TB for a drawing & signature. TB kept saying NO because he said he did one earlier that day but he made a mistake. He eventually signed the board & did a quick smiley or something like that, but he didn't draw anything. I think that comes from his insecurities. Perhaps, he's a perfectionist, and he's placed himself into a "box" that says he must be the best & never make a mistake. I really do think his perception of how he should appear and what Tsukasa Bullet should draw limit his potential, more than his desire to be a true hobby artist. Also, TB would likely sell his work in stores if his circle agreed. There's a guy in that circle who has a major influence on how the circle handles TB's work, and I know his circle believes that their leader, TB, should not be widely available but everyone else in the circle distributes. How do I know this? I know because he's wanted to help us out in the past by reserving stock, and then couldn't do it because this person didn't agree with it. This person also explained to us that if they sold to us, then they must sell to all, and it would be unfair to everyone. He also said that TB does not sell directly, other than Comiket. I know this because we paid TB at Comiket for some doujin to be sent to us because he sold out of DRAW and his printer had a little stock. The other member of his circle actually gave the money back to us saying TB only sells his work at the Comiket and we should come to his table earlier to avoid this problem. It was pretty early in the event when he sold out, and he gave the money back after Comiket when we saw him outside. It was about 20000 yen.

Again, all of the above is my opinion only.
Last edited by val on August 2nd, 2007, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
val

Postby shawn » August 2nd, 2007, 7:20 am

TB is great.... but everytime I hear the name still, Jun Tsukasa, up goes my bubble of though that he is a she. :ase: BTW, this has been discussed before. Don't even know why I brought it up. :sorry:
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Location: Latitude 50° 48' 5'' North Longitude 1° 4' 35'' West

Postby Siye » August 2nd, 2007, 7:37 am

How did it slip my mind that Jun Tsukasa has gone commercial.. LOL.. of course he has.. Sengoku Blade is from the mid 90s isn't it?
Yaa... but I dunno is his entire living from anime/manga? Or does he have another professional job too? I don't know why.. but I always thought he didn't make a living from his artwork. If he is.. I don't see why he tries to maximize his profit and popularity. Hmmmm.. I think I've assumed the wrong thing all this time.

It's true though his style isn't entirely mainstream, but I don't think his formula of guns + girls + sex can ever really get old. Those are some of the basic components of this industry.. prob for almost any entertainment related industry..

Oh and Tsukasa Bullet isn't a one man circle? Interesting.. all this time I thought he was running the show entirely on his own. Ahah. ^^;;; But why do they try to limit his work? I don't get this either...

Very Interesting.
Siye

Postby val » August 3rd, 2007, 2:47 pm

I apologize if my previous post caused confusion. Tsukasa Bullet is one person. However, Tsukasa Bullet is a member of Kacchu Musume, which is his circle. The circle releases Tsukasa Bullet's doujinshi, as well as doujinshi by each artist in the circle. If you look at his site, you'll note that he's one of several artists that share that site. A circle is like a studio, and so, every move the circle makes, they do it together for the maximum benefit of their inner group. Normally, the lead artist plays a certain role for the group as their top artist, like a sensei. As a result, they have certain expectations of TB's art. The circle also releases a compilation whenever there's enough material for one. The compilation always features TB on the cover, but the content features all of the members doujinshi compiled under one thick title, like a doujin anthology. Normally, their compilation is not sold in stores either, just like TB's exclusive Kacchu Musume doujinshi line.

Are you familiar with Metal? Azuki Kurenai was their lead artist, and he appears on their compilation doujinshi. The compilation included doujin released by all of the members under a series called Model. Kurenai was always on the cover. However, he had a falling out with the circle because he was being held back, so Kurenai left the group. After he left the group, Metal pretty much fell apart, and Kurenai went fully commercial with his h art. Once he was free from the circle's control, he made a new manga series, a h-anime based on his manga, a h-game also based on his characters which used to be featured in his doujinshi, etc. A lof of older circles from 10+ years ago follow similar beliefs like Kacchu Musume. Studio Katsudon is another old circle w/similar beliefs and a compilation book, but they're bit different because Manabe is the lead artist & he also runs the show.
val

Postby Siye » August 4th, 2007, 1:25 am

yep. I knew he was part of a circle too, but I got confused because I though Tsukasa Bullet was the circle. ^^;;

And actually I don't know of a circle called Metal. I'm not very knowledgeable of h circles... prob just some of the current popular ones. It's very interesting though.. in the case of these circles it looks like the other artists hold the leader back. I mean it's totally cool if they just arrange to do a circle because they're friends or enjoy working together, but seems like there are internal struggles too. I don't like how it sounded as though the "manager" wasn't helping with Jun Tsukasa's sales, when Tsukasa himself was willing to sell some copies to you guys... seemed like a cheap move.
Siye

Postby val » August 4th, 2007, 5:30 am

Siye wrote:And actually I don't know of a circle called Metal. I'm not very knowledgeable of h circles...

Actually, Metal was probably before your time. I'm sooo old now! ^^;;

LOL, we're growing old together, hgurl!
val

Postby H-Gurl » August 4th, 2007, 6:29 am

val wrote:
Siye wrote:And actually I don't know of a circle called Metal. I'm not very knowledgeable of h circles...

Actually, Metal was probably before your time. I'm sooo old now! ^^;;

LOL, we're growing old together, hgurl!

:kuruc: Yep, time has been a flyin' by hasn't it :kuruc:

:tehe:
I have no idea what you're talking about...
...so here's a bunny with a cellphone on it's head.
H-Gurl
Humble Follower

Return to Doujinshi