How to shop at bk1.jp

Discuss about retail and online stores, as well as auction sellers

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

How to shop at bk1.jp

Postby SlavingApe » February 14th, 2009, 5:36 pm

As requested, I am putting up a tutorial on how to shop at Japanese retailer bk1

First of all, head on over to http://www.bk1.jp

We will need to register first so click as indicated on the screen shot

And click again as indicated

Now fill in the information as indicated - All fields are required

Do not bother with the 国内 radio button but click instead on the 海外 button

After filling in all your info, go on to the confirmation screen

Success! Click as indicated to go to your control panel (My bk1)

Here is an overview of your control panel, with the most important details translated for you

Now that we've registered, lets buy something!

Head on back to the main page (ensuring you are still logged in)

Let's search for a Jigoku Shoujo book that piqued my interest (as mentioned in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=6&p=22016#p22016)

Type your query (in JAPANESE) in the top left-hand box and choose a category to narrow down your search

After perusing through three pages, I've found what I was looking for
Note that the net price is what we outside of Japan will pay (simply the price sans tax)

You will also see some sort of stock status beside each item :

24時間--------ships within 24 hours
1-3日------- ships within 1-3 days
7-21日------ on order -ships in 7-21 days
予約------------Pre-order 
近刊------------New Item

Putting the item in your cart will take you to the following screen
Since I'm really poor ATM, I will just go to checkout.
You have the option of moving the item to your "save for later" list or if you're really rich you can continue to blow your money by "continuing to shop"

Now what follows are three successive screens which are essentially the same thing - confirming your address.
Ensure everything is all good and just click through
I'm guessing it's really important that you get your address and phone number correct.

Now comes the hard part, paying for your purchase.
Click on the radio button as indicated to choose credit card payment
Fill in your particulars and click on over to the next screen

Note: You will be given a choice of credit cards from the drop-down menu, Mastercard and Visa are written in English but American Express (アメリカンエキスプレス) is not.

Now comes time to choose your shipping method

From the drop-down menu choose one of the five options

1 - EMS - Fastest and most expensive
2 - OCS - I have no idea what this is, looking at the shipping cost chart it is just as expensive as EMS but cannot be delivered to Mexico, Central and South America, China, Korea, Taiwan and the like - Best to stay away from this weirdo
3 - SAL - At a certain weight this is just as expensive as EMS. Your package will get on the plane if and when space permits - not high priority
4 - Airmail
5 - Surface - Cheapest but also the slowest

Note the little blurb in Engrish. Basically options 3-5 are not insured and nor can they be tracked. If you really want to know where your stuff is and need it in a hurry, choose EMS
Also 3-5 are shipped as "printed matter" with NO VALUE indicated

The bottom part lets you choose how you want your stuff to be shipped.
Click the top radio button if you can't wait or have too much money burning holes in your pockets - i.e have everything shipped separately as it becomes available
Click the lower radio button if you want to wait for everything to become available thus ship together thus saving you $$$$

Click on the bottom-most grey button to move on to the next screen

Here is your order review screen
Now time to check everything out. If you like how everything is click on the "place order" button and you will be taken to the order confirmation screen.

An email will be sent to you at that time and once again when your stuff has shipped out.
Like most Japanese shops, the shipping cost is not determined until they have shipped out your package. For that reason, if you are ordering 1 or 2 books, just go with surface mail.
If you have an idea of how much the stuff will weigh, find the corresponding weight and look it up on a shipping cost chart - available at Japan Post's website (Google it!)

In my experience heavy books via surface ship for around 1000 Yen while lighter ones will go for 700 yen.
Packages are packed professionally. Your book will be packed in a plastic bag and then be packed in a kind of shipping foam. Heavier books are reinforced with that plastic bundle stuff.
Last edited by Firestorm ZERO on March 11th, 2009, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix little mistake
幸せになりたいけど、頑張りたくない

SlavingApe

Re: How to shop at bk1.jp

Postby oroboru » February 14th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Good stuff though sadly, I doubt that my lack of Japanese language is going to allow me to enjoy any books from there. Now if only those *nice* people on Yahoo Japan would ship overseas... grrr.
Plastic... cool, sterile, and oh so pretty!
oroboru

Postby BigPfeiffer » February 14th, 2009, 7:19 pm

That's a great tutorial, thanks for taking the time to help out. :)
BigPfeiffer
Site Sponser

Postby Firestorm ZERO » February 14th, 2009, 8:21 pm

WOW! Thanks so much SlavingApe for taking the time to put this up!
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby H-Gurl » February 14th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Nice guide! :D

BK1 is a great shop! :)
They do have a "if it gets lost, too bad for you" type of policy however, so do use EMS if you don't want to risk your money. >_<

Make sure to watch for emails from them too, as they send discount codes and stuff! :)
I have no idea what you're talking about...
...so here's a bunny with a cellphone on it's head.
H-Gurl
Humble Follower

Postby SlavingApe » February 15th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Glad you like it Firestorm, you can sticky it now ;)
The main reason I posted this is because it is a much cheaper option to shop with them for books as opposed to HMV or Amazon.co.jp as those two outfits only use EMS and FedEx/DHL respectively. You don't need to be a Japanese language savant to take advantage (artbooks, japanese language material, esp. JLPT material)

For Canadians that can become very expensive, since we are only allowed to import a pathetic $20 (CDN) worth of merchandise before being bent over a log.

Like I mentioned in the guide, when you choose the 3 cheaper shipping options, they will stamp your package as "PRINTED MATTER" and thus eliminate any need for putting a customs sticker on it = zoom zoom through customs + no extortion fees.

Obviously, this would only apply for books. For DVDs or CDs, cdjapan would probably be the better choice since they do offer an option of listing your package as a "GIFT" and as long as it's under $60 you will be fine.
幸せになりたいけど、頑張りたくない

SlavingApe

Postby Nao23 » June 3rd, 2011, 4:08 pm

Is it just me only who have troubles checking out with VISA?
For some reason they says that I hope ( temporarily) cannot buy with that card...
Hmm.....
Nao23
NOOB DOOD!

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 3rd, 2011, 10:30 pm

Nao23 wrote:Is it just me only who have troubles checking out with VISA?
For some reason they says that I hope ( temporarily) cannot buy with that card...
Hmm.....

Nope. Never had any issue with Visa. I once had to switch to a Visa mid-order because my main Mastercard expired during a pre-order.

All I can think of is the validation failed. So make sure the Billing information is 100% correct. Or maybe your bank blocked the transaction thinking it was fraudulent (as it didn't fit your usual buying patterns). I had that once and had to call up my bank to allow the transaction.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby Nao23 » June 4th, 2011, 10:25 am

Thank you for the quick answer.
It seems the bank blocked it, so I switch to cdjapan instead of BK1. It's just one magazine I buy so it dont make a big difference in shipping ,lol
Anyway, thanks!
Nao23
NOOB DOOD!

Postby icarusbride » January 8th, 2012, 12:41 am

I bought from BK1 with SAL shipping almost 6 weeks ago now, I'm starting to worry that I might be the rare case of lost package :(
About the declined Visa, was it a bank card? I initially tried using a Visa debit card which should have worked (there was sufficient balance on the card) but Bk1 declined it. They didn't email me to tell me this either, which made me a little mad. I logged into my account history a few days later after seeing I hadn't gotten a shipping notification, and then read that it was declined. But when I changed to another Visa, normal credit card, it went through right away and they shipped the very next day.
icarusbride
NOOB DOOD!

Postby Onegai » January 9th, 2012, 2:15 am

I've found some online retailers do not accept debit cards as payment only credit cards.
Onegai

Postby Firestorm ZERO » January 14th, 2012, 3:57 am

From what I hear, retailers have to opt-in to accept Visa Debit because they are treated differently than a normal Visa. They just use share the same network.

It is unfortunate if the package is indeed lost. It might be the Christmas season and could be late. Just a note, the longest SAL package I had was 2 months.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Return to Discussions About Stores / Sellers