form code : 3rd drawing works collection [Range Murata]

All about art books

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Postby Sabreman » April 28th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Received mine today and I'm thrilled with it. It smells good, for a start (very important with art books). I've only been collecting Murata stuff for a short while so pretty much all the art inside is new to me. I'm really looking forward to settling down and poring over the whole thing properly.
Sabreman

Pics Pics Pics

Postby MrDisco » May 1st, 2006, 5:45 am

I received my copy of f|c a day ago and had a chance to open it. i took some pics during the process (they're not very good though)
This is the box it comes packed in

Close-up of the logo detail on the box.

The envelope which contains the corrected text. It looks larger then it is as i zoomed in. the envelope is sealed so i dont know what the contents look like.

The envelope which contains the signed, numbered print. This isn't sealed so...

...tada. I am so thankful that they did not include this page in the binder and kept it separate. (for some reason the thumbnail preview isn't available)

Slice open the tape and remove the top piece of styrofoam to reveal the contents of the box.

Carefully slide the plastic slipcover off to reveal the book. The cover is done with a glossy material. make sure your hands are clean and dry.

The first image you see when you open the book. What you can't see is that there is a thick piece of soft plastic overlay.

The piece of plastic flipped over. I've zoomed in to show the logo detail on the plastic (naturally reversed as its flipped over)

The middle section of the image from above flips over to reveal a new image. the back of that small piece has instructions on how to use the book. now call me silly but i dont think anyone with a reasonable IQ needs instructions on how to use a binder :P Good thing they have English translations!

After a series of images done on thick paper we come to the second section of the book. The image is also done with glossy paper (i.e. his pants are a black glossy texture)

A familiar image done poster size. It's pretty large relative to the book.

Pinkys!!

One of the pages is a folder which has 3 very very fragile pieces of paper. the two brown pieces are like sewing/schematic images. (I really really want that mailman bag)

A booklet which unfolds with more images.

Pinky!! (I still want that bag)

The final page of the book. Much has been made about damage to the book during shipping. As you can see the hole has been stretched a bit (hole to the far right). It also occurred on the hole to the far left (it's under the ring so you can't see it in that pic). I'm not sure how bad other people's books are, but for this i'm not going to raise any fuss as its probably in better shape then most other books.

clearly the medium has become an artform in this release. it exceeds what was done with past Murata releases and its truly a sight to behold. there's a lot to see in this book so its definately well worth it. however as an art piece you can't handle it like any other art book. i highly doubt i myself will flip through it again as its so fragile that every turn of the page can introduce a tear or a bend (so for goodness sake people be careful!!).

i do hope they release a leather portfolio (to match futurhythm) so as to give it a little bit more stability and protection.

in short a fantastic release. i almost wish i had two copies of it.
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby MrDisco » May 2nd, 2006, 6:01 pm

no comments on my pictures? :ase2:
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby asgard » May 2nd, 2006, 6:08 pm

Nope, they were absolutely and utterly horrible :P

Kidding, kidding :)
I just didn't know what to say, I saw them yesterday and had to mop up my drool and brush away the tears XD

All the Pinky related stuff definitely made me happy (and I think I like everyone else, is hoping to score our very own rmPinkies!) and I don't think I am going to be dissapointed by Range Murata's artwork either. Just concerned like everyone else, at how badly things stuffed up re: the presentation of this book. I definitely don't like the sound of how fragile this book is. It defeats the purpose of the book being "customisable" like futurythm was (how you could mix and match the pages and arrange the book the way you liked.)

Thanks for the pics though MrDisco, it definitely whets the appetite :)
asgard

Postby skicow » May 3rd, 2006, 2:04 pm

Yeah, those pics were really nice! That looks sweet!

I've been thinking about starting to collect someone else other than Shirow and Range Murata would be my first pick.
skicow

Postby asgard » May 3rd, 2006, 5:56 pm

skicow wrote:Yeah, those pics were really nice! That looks sweet!

I've been thinking about starting to collect someone else other than Shirow and Range Murata would be my first pick.

Both a good, and bad choice :)
Good because his work is worth it, bad because you'll fall into the trap the rest of us are in... i.e. MUST HAVE IT ALL! XD

I am still holding out for World of Wachenröder!
asgard

Postby val » May 10th, 2006, 9:10 am

Great pictures, Mr Disco!

The final page of the book. Much has been made about damage to the book during shipping. As you can see the hole has been stretched a bit (hole to the far right). It also occurred on the hole to the far left (it's under the ring so you can't see it in that pic). I'm not sure how bad other people's books are, but for this i'm not going to raise any fuss as its probably in better shape then most other books.

Yeah, your copy arrived in near mint condition. It doesn't get better than a few stretched holes, so you are very lucky. Many people received one to all holes completely ripped off the binder. A few copies arrived at our office completely ripped off the binder. I'm really glad we opened the boxes to inspect them in the end because we would have shipped damaged merchandise.

Unfortunately, if you pull the collection out too quickly without getting a secure hold on all of the paper as you pull, the pages at the end want to stay behind with the slip so be sure to keep that problem in mind if you intend to store formcode in the binder and slip. Personally, I would get rid of the slip because it is way too tight. Plus, I'd most likely forget about the defect and end up with a damaged book, if I happened to pull formcode out months to years from now. In the long run, it's probably better to store it out of the slip as a way to prevent damage. That's just my opinion though.

I hope this is the LAST Limited Edition binder. If anything, RM should try Azure's design on a larger scale. Then, if someone wants to view it page-by-page, he/she can simply unscrew the bind and pull it apart without risking damage. Or, if someone prefers to view the prints like a book, he/she can ignore the fancy bind, and simply flip through it without worry. I liked Azure's design, but I prefer a LE box with various types of books/content packed inside. Perhaps he'll try something similar to Like A Balance Life or 0.5 in the future.

BTW, in addition to having a special version of FormCode, like the Wani Special with signed bonus item, GoFa also has another "Design" version of Formcode for ¥30,000:
http://cart02.lolipop.jp/LA08128945/?mo ... 0100853284
I'm not sure, but I think it says every single page is signed.
val

Postby MrDisco » May 10th, 2006, 1:01 pm

wow that's impressive! are they still taking orders?
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby val » May 10th, 2006, 2:25 pm

MrDisco wrote:wow that's impressive! are they still taking orders?

Yeah, they're still taking orders. Are you thinking of buying one? It's really expensive, and the US Dollar is tanking this week against the yen. It's dropped nearly 10% in the last 8 days at our bank. Ugh.
Last edited by val on May 10th, 2006, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
val

Postby skicow » May 10th, 2006, 3:02 pm

asgard wrote:
skicow wrote:Yeah, those pics were really nice! That looks sweet!

Both a good, and bad choice :)
Good because his work is worth it, bad because you'll fall into the trap the rest of us are in... i.e. MUST HAVE IT ALL! XD

I am still holding out for World of Wachenröder!

:D Yeah, that's what I'm fearing!

I'm going to hold off on my collecting someone else for now -- since I've recently discovered Yahoo Japan Auctions and there's tons of Shirow stuff on there that does not make it to eBay (or if it does it's way too expensive - i.e: phone cards that are on eBay for $US33 are going for 1,000 Yen on YJP).
skicow

Postby MrDisco » May 10th, 2006, 3:17 pm

val wrote:Yeah, they're still taking orders. Are you thinking of buying one? It's really expensive, and the US Dollar is tanking this week against the yen. It's dropped nearly 10% in the 8 days at our bank. Ugh.

yeah i am :| i tried google and altavista but their translation service didn't amount to much other than something is signed by murata and it comes with a design book (?). if thats true then yeah i think i'ld like to order a copy.
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby val » May 10th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Yeah, I don't really understand GoFa's page either but I've found that their product descriptions are always kind of vague. For 3 times JP retail, it better come with a fat design book. I think I'll call them tomorrow and find out what's inside of it. It wasn't on display at GoFa during the Pinky:Party but Formcode was on display. It looked pretty bad because the cover was peeling but it was the display copy. Their version also came with a signed frame for matting. It was also the same price as the JP retail price. I wanted to take a picture, but they would not allow us to take pics. I'll see what I can find out about the expensive formcode.... as if, it wasn't already expensive.
val

Postby MrDisco » May 10th, 2006, 3:57 pm

awesome thank you! :)
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby val » May 11th, 2006, 10:41 am

Called GoFa, and it doesn't include Design Works at all.

First, let me back up a little...

Like Wani, GoFa has a GoFa Special for ¥9500+tax or ¥9975 after tax. The GoFa Special's price is normal JP retail.
The GoFa Special includes:
(1) a paper border for matting any print inside the collection. The paper border is designed and personally signed by Range Murata.
(2) the GoFa special has a second signature. The second signature is found on the first clear sheet inside of Formcode.

The GoFa ¥30000 version includes the same items at the version for ¥9975 (signed paper border for matting & signed internal clear sheet), plus an actual Formcode frame. The frame is designed by Range Murata. GoFa said it will be made of glass and wood. It is being professionally made for the prints inside of Formcode. Using the signed paper border with any print inside of formcode, you can display each print, one by one, with the included signed border in the high quality Formcode frame. The frame is still being produced, so specific details, like glass & wood, are tentative. Details about the frame's design may change before its actual release. GoFa plans to post images once the frame has been produced. However, production is very limited, so GoFa could sell out before images of the frame are available. To secure your copy of Formcode with the special frame, you should reserve as early as possible via the product page on their site.

Based on GoFa's verbal description, I believe this item will be extremely heavy and fragile. You probably don't want to ship it from Japan.
val

Postby MrDisco » May 11th, 2006, 4:35 pm

interesting. no i dont think i'ld want the gofa 30,000 version. the gofa 9500 version sounds interesting though..did they sell out of it?
MrDisco
Humble Follower

PreviousNext

Return to Art Books