2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Important info will be posted here

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 26th, 2007, 12:18 am

Hmm... nothing I can do about that one. The Spoiler tag needed two mods to work in the old board. The only way is to go through every post and edit and submit. :/ I don't know if that will cause a bump or not. As well that will take too long
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby Deibi Manabu » June 26th, 2007, 1:27 am

Cool.

I still don't see the center tag, but you never had it before, so maybe you don't want it? Either way, I will use it if you add it.

As to the left avatar thing, is you fix the online tab to be under the avatar, you won't need to worry about it. Most websites that have an online tab have it right under the details under the avatar. I'll continue using this setup until you fix the bugs.

Also with colour, I will wait until that's fixed.

One thing I'd like to suggest: a "Quick Reply" at the bottom. Most times that has saved my time, so that'd be nice to add! ^_^
Deibi Manabu

Postby MrDisco » June 26th, 2007, 1:43 am

Firestorm ZERO wrote:Hmm... nothing I can do about that one. The Spoiler tag needed two mods to work in the old board. The only way is to go through every post and edit and submit. :/ I don't know if that will cause a bump or not. As well that will take too long

yeah i don't think its worth your time to even consider doing that. if the owner of the post sees that their spoiler has become unhidden they can simply go back edit their post to the new code.
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 27th, 2007, 12:00 am

Well. I was fiddling around with the templates and such but I find it too much hassle. It will be much easier just to look for another skin IMO or make my own.

I personally don't mind the bright look (but of course would prefer a darker one). Maybe it just need time to get used to.

I will allow you guys to choose whatever skin you like. So if you find a skin that is made for phpBB3 that you like, I will upload it and you guys will get to set it over here.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby MrDisco » June 27th, 2007, 2:04 am

i don't think many people will like this choice, but i kind of like it (and it has avatars on the left :) ):

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=546345
(serenity dark blue)
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby val » June 27th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Ummm,

Serenity dark blue is brighter than this board.

Can't you just add left and right margins to balance the page?
Just like shown on the link that Mr.D just used:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=546345
NOTE: the gray on the left and right of the page? It makes the page easier to read.

You just need to change the CSS that I copied previously to add the color and margins. You can make it as small or as wide as you like. If it had edges, it would not be so hard on the eyes.

Please, please, please don't use the serenity skin. I prefer the light blues over pure white and off-white.

PS. Mr.D, you can flip the avatars to the left via your profile options. FSZ already fixed that, so it shouldn't be an issue.
val

Postby val » June 27th, 2007, 1:20 pm

I was thinking that something like this may be a good compromise to balance the color:
http://www.anichara.com/fsz/viewtopic.php3.htm (I like this one the best)
http://www.anichara.com/fsz/viewtopic.php2.htm
http://www.anichara.com/fsz/viewtopic.php.htm

Also, the reason benny_26 is having trouble typing is he's trying to type before the page has completely loaded.
The inline frame that holds the previous posts tries to load the entire thread, so once it finally finishes on a long post, it will return the browser's focus to the main page. This causes the cursor's focus to be lost or reset to the first tab or field on the page, if the person started typing before the page finished. Perhaps loading one, prior message in that frame would help because the page takes up to 10 seconds to finish loading and you can't type without losing your cursor's focus until it's done writing the page. You may not notice this, but I do notice it and I keep losing my message when the page stops loading. Being far from North America, it is natural to assume that loading so many posts within a frame is going to take longer for people around the world. As a result, it may not happen to you or someone with a super fast connection. I'm using 30MB on cable and the post page takes a long time to load when a thread is long. I can't start typing until it is finished or it will either not type anything in the field or cause my cursor to move to another area while I try to type.
val

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 27th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Testing... 同人誌

Ah man.... All old threads with Japanese characters are messed up. It turns out the old database wasn't using UTF-8. The new database is now set at it.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby MrDisco » June 27th, 2007, 3:29 pm

val wrote:Serenity dark blue is brighter than this board.

Yeah. I don't mind the colour scheme (or the current one for that matter). I think all that skin needs is to replace the grey with a splash of colour.

Good tip on the avatars. I was checking earlier and forgot to set my preferences. I do notice that the width of that column seems rather wide. Is it a fixed setting?

edit: also I notice that the avatar image is over top the 'online' stripe that runs diagonally when using this mode.
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby val » June 27th, 2007, 4:42 pm

MrDisco wrote:
val wrote:Serenity dark blue is brighter than this board.

Yeah. I don't mind the colour scheme (or the current one for that matter). I think all that skin needs is to replace the grey with a splash of colour.

Unfortunately, changing the gray would require major changes to the entire skin because much of the gray is in the background images, not the html, so the images would look bad if you simply changed the gray in the html. I think the different variations, like dark blue version, reflect the additional "splash" of color that can be added with ease to that template.

MrDisco wrote:Good tip on the avatars. I was checking earlier and forgot to set my preferences. I do notice that the width of that column seems rather wide. Is it a fixed setting?

edit: also I notice that the avatar image is over top the 'online' stripe that runs diagonally when using this mode.

You must have missed an earlier post by FSZ (above). He did mention the online strip being off and needs to figure out how to fix it. Speaking of that, FSZ, if you add " style="z-Index: 5000;" to that image tag, it should layer on top of the avatar. Currently, it's below because the online status image is written first, so the avatar natually falls on top of it in natural order. It's either that, or add "clear: both;" to the avatar so it falls under the image.
val

Postby Susano » June 29th, 2007, 12:14 am

Wow, I don't use the internet for a couple days and I discover all sorts of new things. ^_^ This looks really nice.
Susano

Postby Arcturus » October 13th, 2007, 8:02 pm

I like the online/offline feature. Sad to say, I've only noticed it now.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Previous

Return to Announcements