2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Important info will be posted here

Re: 2007-06-24 - Forum Upgrade Done

Postby shawn » June 25th, 2007, 6:52 am

Just one thing I'm not keen with. You know in the old forum, the little icon that turns orange when a new post/thread had been posted, this new huge round thing is weird to get used to. :ase: Instead of the red outline do you think you could highlight the whole thing like what it used to be? It's harder to spot a new post now... Hmm.... maybe I need glasses. :guru:
Oh, and i love the way the smilies have all been lined up closer together. Also, the avatar on the right side is quite unique. :ne: Bravo!
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Location: Latitude 50° 48' 5'' North Longitude 1° 4' 35'' West

Postby Deibi Manabu » June 25th, 2007, 7:58 am

I personally don't like the avatars on the right, but that's just my own opinion, and I suppose if you let it be both ways (a personal preference on the CP), then I would like that too. It's just me, I suppose, but oh well...

Is there an option to change the skin? I like a little darkness in my forum viewing. I'd also like to suggest the possibility of a few more text editing capabilities - ie: centering. I've missed that here for the longest time. Either way, it's a great change you did in only a day! It usually takes some forums longer to get it done. ^^
Deibi Manabu

Postby Benny_26 » June 25th, 2007, 8:51 am

jkno wrote:Looks cool! I was afraid at first I typed the wrong www address. BTW is there a chance on this new forum to have the male/female signs next to our avatars Image Image, thus people won't be confused, some of us thought Deibi was a girl, others think Val is a boy etc.

You have this option in youre Control Panel, look under my Avatar it says Male.
So please everybody open youre setting and set youre gender :)
Benny_26

Postby Benny_26 » June 25th, 2007, 9:22 am

Hi,
Found an annoying BUG in new system.
So before that if you press on embedded image like on other server, its automatically pops up a new window, now it opens in same window.

The other bug is when im writing a new message, and start typing test it happens that suddenly a cursor disappears and you typing in air, so i have to point my mouse inside the text typing window.
it happens 90% in the beginning like when im just starting to type, and sometimes even in the middle of typing.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Do you think is posible to add spelling check option? I see it these days a lot on forums.
Benny_26

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 9:40 am

My only suggestion is perhaps making the page a little easier on the eyes:
> Add a darker edge around the posts for contrast to show edges;
> Make the background color on the right with the avatars darker

Being that the site is done in DIVS, not tables, I can understand why the avatars might have to be on the right but I think it needs to be set off so it looks like a different section that borders the message, so that it's not running into the messages and white background.

Perhaps a border that matches the header would be goodd, as well as a darker blue or gray in the avatar box.

Some of the colors are not browser safe, like the light blue, so there are going to be people on older monitors who are only seeing white instead of light blue. That's not too much of an issue if there's a border but right now, there's so little contrast between colors that it's really hard on the eyes and everything is running together.
val

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 2:24 pm

jkno wrote:Looks cool! I was afraid at first I typed the wrong www address. BTW is there a chance on this new forum to have the male/female signs next to our avatars Image Image, thus people won't be confused, some of us thought Deibi was a girl, others think Val is a boy etc.

I will try to change to images. I am still trying to get used to the new control panel.

Deibi Manabu wrote:I personally don't like the avatars on the right, but that's just my own opinion, and I suppose if you let it be both ways (a personal preference on the CP), then I would like that too. It's just me, I suppose, but oh well...

Is there an option to change the skin? I like a little darkness in my forum viewing. I'd also like to suggest the possibility of a few more text editing capabilities - ie: centering. I've missed that here for the longest time. Either way, it's a great change you did in only a day! It usually takes some forums longer to get it done. ^^

I think I can make an option to have the avatars on the left. I will do some tinkering.

The problem is there is not a lot of skins yet :/ I can modify the CSS to change the colours. Yeah I prefer a little darker colours for forums.

I had text centering before? I didn't even notice. I can add more BBCodes, no problem.

Benny_26 wrote:Hi,
Found an annoying BUG in new system.
So before that if you press on embedded image like on other server, its automatically pops up a new window, now it opens in same window.

The other bug is when im writing a new message, and start typing test it happens that suddenly a cursor disappears and you typing in air, so i have to point my mouse inside the text typing window.
it happens 90% in the beginning like when im just starting to type, and sometimes even in the middle of typing.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Do you think is posible to add spelling check option? I see it these days a lot on forums.

By embedded image do you mean using the IMG tags? Can you send me a PM step by step what you did.

Get Firefox for spell checking. Spell checking will increase load to check every post before submit. It better if it local.

val wrote:My only suggestion is perhaps making the page a little easier on the eyes:
> Add a darker edge around the posts for contrast to show edges;
> Make the background color on the right with the avatars darker

Being that the site is done in DIVS, not tables, I can understand why the avatars might have to be on the right but I think it needs to be set off so it looks like a different section that borders the message, so that it's not running into the messages and white background.

Perhaps a border that matches the header would be goodd, as well as a darker blue or gray in the avatar box.

Some of the colors are not browser safe, like the light blue, so there are going to be people on older monitors who are only seeing white instead of light blue. That's not too much of an issue if there's a border but right now, there's so little contrast between colors that it's really hard on the eyes and everything is running together.

Ok I will change the colours to put more contrast. :)
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 2:26 pm

shawn wrote:Just one thing I'm not keen with. You know in the old forum, the little icon that turns orange when a new post/thread had been posted, this new huge round thing is weird to get used to. :ase: Instead of the red outline do you think you could highlight the whole thing like what it used to be? It's harder to spot a new post now... Hmm.... maybe I need glasses. :guru:
Oh, and i love the way the smilies have all been lined up closer together. Also, the avatar on the right side is quite unique. :ne: Bravo!

I can change the images much easier now. If you have some other post images you see that are better in other forums, send me a PM so I can port it over. I can make new icons but I am too lazy ~_~
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 3:15 pm

Left avatars are now in. Go to your UCP->Board Preferences and change it to the left avatar version. You might have to do a force refresh or clear your cache.

The only issue is the online tag will be covered up or hard to see (for ones without avatars). This is because it was meant to be on the right corner. To fix it will take me to do a lot of hacking around.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby MrDisco » June 25th, 2007, 3:20 pm

I guess my 'wish-list' items would be:

-A size restriction on images in the signature field
-A more bolder/noticeable icon/colour for threads/posts that are unread
-Avatars on the left-hand side (but I know you're working on that)
-A FavIcon

Other than that this software looks pretty good. Miles ahead of the atrocious job done at some other sites.
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 3:28 pm

I think I see why it seems off w/the colors.

It's supposed to look like this, right?
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 8&t=228041

Your site doesn't have the darker margin on the left and right, so it comes across as extremely bright and white. Simply setting a background color on the body or main wrapper with a set right & left margin of 1em or 2em would balance the page. Also setting the thin white divider between the message and each person's avatar area to a darker color (same color as the main margins that border the site) would help balance out the brightness. I like the design. It just needs a little balance to it on the sides and giving contrast on edges and accents should make it easy on the eyes.

Hope this makes sense.
val

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 3:38 pm

Also, I like the avatars on the right. When I'm online, I have 3-4 sites open at once, and at times, windows are sort of tiled, side by side, so I can read more than one page at once. It also allows me to edit a page or document live by editing in one window and seeing the changes live in the other window. Keeping the avatars on the right, I don't have to keep scrolling to the right for the real content, each time I page down or switch pages. I just think it takes some getting used to but I like it. Plus, if someone is viewing the site from a small screen or a pda, they'll also get the avatars first, and have to scroll to reach actual posts. I've always been taught to keep the main content within the first 600 pixels because that's where most people focus when viewing a page. As a result, I never really understood why avatars are normally found on the left..

If you try to flip the content, you're going to run into a nightmare of glitches between browsers. As far as I can tell, it's currently done in a "safe" cross platform method of displaying, and the avatars section simply falls or floats into place. If you try to restrict that DIV and put the avatar list in such a narrow space while keeping the message block on the right, you'll have to use browser hacks for IE 5 and Opera, as well as Mac, because many don't follow the box model properly. IE will also cut the content short and refuse to span, so that's where the hacks are needed.
val

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 3:54 pm

MrDisco wrote:I guess my 'wish-list' items would be:

-A size restriction on images in the signature field
-A more bolder/noticeable icon/colour for threads/posts that are unread
-Avatars on the left-hand side (but I know you're working on that)
-A FavIcon

Other than that this software looks pretty good. Miles ahead of the atrocious job done at some other sites.

- I can do that. What size restriction would you like?
- If you can provide the images (like ones you see in another forum) I can add it no problem. I'm too lazy to make my own images ~_~
- Done (with little bugs)
- Ah forgot about that one.

val wrote:I think I see why it seems off w/the colors.

It's supposed to look like this, right?
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 8&t=228041

Your site doesn't have the darker margin on the left and right, so it comes across as extremely bright and white. Simply setting a background color on the body or main wrapper with a set right & left margin of 1em or 2em would balance the page. Also setting the thin white divider between the message and each person's avatar area to a darker color (same color as the main margins that border the site) would help balance out the brightness. I like the design. It just needs a little balance to it on the sides and giving contrast on edges and accents should make it easy on the eyes.

Hope this makes sense.

After some tinkering, I can change the colours no problem. It is just it will be a lot of work. Basically I will have to redo all the images. Due to round corners, circler images and such. All due to IE since it doesn't support transparent PNGs they had to fall back to GIF. ~_~

val wrote:Also, I like the avatars on the right. When I'm online, I have 3-4 sites open at once, and at times, windows are sort of tiled, side by side, so I can read more than one page at once. It also allows me to edit a page or document live by editing in one window and seeing the changes live in the other window. Keeping the avatars on the right, I don't have to keep scrolling to the right for the real content, each time I page down or switch pages. I just think it takes some getting used to but I like it. Plus, if someone is viewing the site from a small screen or a pda, they'll also get the avatars first, and have to scroll to reach actual posts. I've always been taught to keep the main content within the first 600 pixels because that's where most people focus when viewing a page. As a result, I never really understood why avatars are normally found on the left..

If you try to flip the DIVs, you're going to run into a nightmare of glitches between browsers. As far as I can tell, it's currently done in a "safe" cross platform method of displaying. If you try to restrict that first DIV with the avatar to such a narrow space, you'll have to use browser hacks for IE 5 and Opera, as well as Mac, because many don't follow the box model properly.

I prefer the profile on the right too. I can read the message first but still have access to the profile, PM, etc if I want to.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby Firestorm ZERO » June 25th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Favicon fixed
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 4:11 pm

After some tinkering, I can change the colours no problem. It is just it will be a lot of work. Basically I will have to redo all the images. Due to round corners, circler images and such. All due to IE since it doesn't support transparent PNGs they had to fall back to GIF. ~_~

I can show you how to do it. You need to set a right-side border on the message div, and then set the margin negative on the avatar list, so that the avatar part floats on top of the border. It sounds hard, but it's not hard once you get the hang of it. Also, are you sure the rounded corners are images? You should be able to accomplish the corners by simply changing the backcolor color, as needed. Perhaps, I'm not understanding your issue. What images need to be changed for the avatar part? Gifs are transparent too.
val

Postby val » June 25th, 2007, 4:18 pm

Wait, I think we're referring to different things. You can add a border to the site without changing any images. The padding is already in place on the left and right. Just set a color on the main body or insert an image and tile it on the body tag.
val

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements