What are you watching right now?

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Re: What are you watching right now?

Postby Arcturus » May 4th, 2009, 12:22 am

Watching Shakugan No Shana TV Series. Picked up the box set because it had the Matake Ogata OVA.

Don't know why you all are saying there is a drought, there is so much anime released this year, that I am
no where near caught up.

Actively watching Basquash, K-ON, and Saki, but I have tons waiting for me to watch.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby Onegai » May 4th, 2009, 6:20 am

I am watching nothing............................................
Onegai

Postby Slaigar » May 4th, 2009, 2:52 pm

Onegai wrote:I am watching nothing............................................

Drought!

Arcturus wrote:Don't know why you all are saying there is a drought, there is so much anime released this year, that I am
no where near caught up.

Good idea. I haven't picked up a dvd set for awhile... maybe I'll check what's on sale at my local comic shop.

I'm also watching Sengoku Basara. Cheesy and stylish action; it's a fun watch.
Slaigar

Postby Susano » May 6th, 2009, 2:04 am

Well, my collecting has gone to grabbing titles I missed when they were initially released due to too many titles coming out. Luckily, most of them have hit the Bargain Bin at Right Stuf, so I've been saving a lot of money from that. Last month, I had absolutely nothing from new the releases to get other than the Advent Children blu ray from Japan. The US had nothing but rereleased box sets. I have about $100USD on preorder for May and only Sword of the Stranger on preorder for June in R1 releases. I used to purchase about $150 to $200 on busy months and $100 on slow months. (The amounts are after discounts from Right Stuf totaling about 46% off.) One the up side, I think I'll be getting Queen's Blade in R2 on Blu Ray starting in June and FMA in August (also on Blu Ray.) I'm also wanting to pick up the Eureka Seven movie. So it looks like my spending has switched to R2 over R1 now.
Susano

Postby Arcturus » May 27th, 2009, 6:13 am

Finished watching the 12 episodes of Rideback last night. Thanks for the heads up. I liked the series despite
the character designs. It was well worth staying up late to finish watching it. Though I had to give the writer a
creative pass on Rin's climatic battle.

Don't know how I missed this series when I first started picking series to watch at the beginning of the New Year.

Thanks again for to those who mentioned this series.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby Arcturus » May 28th, 2009, 3:24 am

Watching Volume 5 of Claymore right now. Love this series.

Finished up watching Akikan! yesterday. Nice campy fun. Light on the fanservice. Give it to the Japanese to think about girls
transforming from drink cans, and battles between aluminium and steel drink cans.

Though I think the writers changed course midstream when it came to the 'Akikan Elect' challenge, they seem to have dispensed
with that late in the series, and instead bringing in a late comer challenger.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby Onegai » May 29th, 2009, 6:07 am

Just rewatched the King of Fighters movie. It's a shame they don't make animation like that anymore. :(
Onegai

Postby kidrobot » May 30th, 2009, 7:14 pm

I'm currently watching G Gundam and 009-1
After I finish those two I will move on to X The TV Series
Robots will soon take over the world!
kidrobot

Postby xxangelchanxx » June 21st, 2009, 5:46 am

FMA:brotherhood
Munto
Phantom ~requiem for the phantom~
valkyria chronicles

and just recently finished Macross frontier but almost stopped watching halfway through because of a certain green haired dog.
xxangelchanxx

Postby freedom199012 » July 22nd, 2009, 12:44 am

spice and wolf season 2 gonna be lots of drama this seasons o_o
freedom199012

Postby theaccidentalmimo » June 14th, 2010, 1:06 am

Right now I am watching 1st season of Magic Knights Rayearth and Rosen Maiden Traumend. Just watched the episode Engel (angel), and it was just as cool as I'd hoped.
theaccidentalmimo

Postby Onegai » June 16th, 2010, 9:43 am

EVA 2.0 was silly. They ruined too many things from the original. That Mari chick really was a pointless addition IMHO, and her green EVA's design was ugly as sin. If you haven't watched the original 26 episode series I recommend you do so before attempting these films.

On the other hand St Luminous Mission High School looks promising.
Onegai

Postby Syn13 » June 16th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Did you enjoy 1.0?
From my understanding these new 4 part theatrical movies are alternate universe compared to the series utilizing ideas that weren't used in the series.

While my opinion on 1.1 and 2.2 are more less neutral, I have to say, 2.2 takes a major change in story when compared to the series.
SPOILERS I THINK...?

-Shinji is less wimpy.
-Rei shows more affection towards other instead of Gendo.
-Asuka now shows no affection towards Kaji,
-Asuka is put in the seat of being the test pilot for Eva 04(oh what a world).
-Eva 05 is indeed an odd Eva, being that he has 6 limbs in total, the plug suit looks like it requires extra ugly alterations... :D
-End scene with Shinji was badass!
-This is probably the first time I've heard that Seele's base is in Space...really??
-I don't understand Kaworu speaks of Shinji like he's met him before.

I have to say, Mari's placement into Rebuild of Evangelion should have some strong implications on the story since:
-She's a covert agent from America in Japan.
-Hijacked Eva 02 and pretty much destroyed it. Strange thing of it was that she enabled "Berserker" mode. I don't thinking Asuka making the eyes opening up in the previous movies/series count as "berserker" mode.
-Attracted to Shinji's scent, enemy turned ally? With Asuka temporary outta action(assuming she's in a comma in a good chunk of the next movie), Kaworu, Rei will have to fight Mari in affection towards Shinji.
Syn13

Postby Onegai » June 16th, 2010, 2:40 pm

1.0 was essentially the first portions of the series condensed. With the exeption of all the out of place CG weapons and
Spoiler:
Kaworu's appearence at the end.

Shinji is mostly the same, a little less wimpy perhaps, although because of the format there is far less screentime for him to go on a whinge binge anyway.

The best addition I can think of is
Spoiler:
having 2nd Rei survive the suicide attack. At this point in both the series and movie she has developed more personality. In the original series she died after killing the angel with an N2 mine. It was a shame that she died after having made such a huge progression in social skills. Of course in the series she was replaced by the 3rd Rei who lacking 2nd Rei's newly acquired memories and experiences came off as strange to Shinji and the others (as to be expected).
One thing I did like. ;)

Spoiler:
Mari's green EVA sports some extra limbs which simply serve to get in the way. They were pretty much all sliced off anyway = pointless design. This would have been all good and well if this design actually served a purpose but Mari is a close range fighter as evidenced in all her fights so this design is again rendered obsolete. It was probably only made so Kotobukiya, Bandai etc can sell more EVA model kits lol.

Spoiler:
Mari's fight with the angel in the last battle was a bit exaggerated, even by EVA standards. This is not Gurren Lagan where OTT fights are the order of the day. Her going into berserk-dog mode didn't really achieve anything either.

Spoiler:
The movie takes a lot of scenes and simply switches characters eg. Switching Asuka for Shinji coming out of the bath after the shock at finding PenPen there, Asuka piloting EVA unit 04 intead of Touji.

Although these are minor things you get the feeling most of these changes are for the people already familar with the original. Which begs the question: who are these movies for exactly?

Spoiler:
Asuka's "new" plugsuit was essentially there for fanservice and nothing else. They shouldn't have really bothered with it.

Spoiler:
The scene where the dummy system is activated and EVA unit 01 ravages unit 04 was esentially ruined by the subtraction of the sound effects and the addition of a highly inapproriate song. The emotional impact of the original scene was completely lost and the scene came off as weak.

All in all I find the films not as revolutionary as the hype would suggest and some of the changes to the content to be questionable. Some of them I found destracting enough to ruin my enjoyment of the show. I'm sure they are enjoyable for some but I as of yet can't see the purpose.

The EVAs look really wierd when done in CGI. They look so much better (and have far more character to boot) when hand drawn in 2D.

I'm not trying to be purposely negative just honest.
Onegai

Postby Syn13 » June 16th, 2010, 5:09 pm

You have every right to sound negative IMO, at the end of the day, this is just a retooled series made movie to milk more money. As there is a strong evidence that the characters(mainly Rei and Asuka) are still very popular while the mecha continues to sell model kits. I'm a big fan of Super Robot Wars but for the love of god, could not tell you what the difference with "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth" being in the games. I can certainly say Eva-01 TYPE F is a variation design but at most, it was probably extra scenarios with the alternate changes in the ending.

When was Evangelion? 1996? I can barely remember the original series and I basically bought each episode on VHS back in the day too~
I'm sure 10 years along the line, Rebuild of Gurren Lagann will be releases...as if Parallel Works isn't enough for "unused ideas".
Syn13

PreviousNext

Return to Anime