Voices of a Distant Star/The Place Promised in Our Early Day

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Voices of a Distant Star/The Place Promised in Our Early Day

Postby Slaigar » December 20th, 2007, 7:04 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Place_ ... Early_Days
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voices_of_a_Distant_Star

I picked up the Shinkai Collection from ADV. It has Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days in one package. Till now, I have only heard about these titles but never had the chance to watch them. Just as people have mentioned, both titles are breathtaking and beautiful. They both go a slower pace that I am used to, but I did not feel that it was dragging. I was reading that Voices was all made on Shinkai's computer with even him and his fiancee doing that the voice acting. A single man putting that much work into an anime is outstanding. Out of the two, The Place Promised in Our Early Days is my favourite. Gorgeous animation and beautiful soundtrack to match, everything in the movie just felt so complete.

Someone should have warned me to bring a bucket when watching these. Watching both back-to-back has now my bed is soaked with manly tears.
Slaigar

Re: Voices of a Distant Star/The Place Promised in Our Early Day

Postby ShimizuKyoko » December 20th, 2007, 7:28 pm

There are 2 versions of voices of a distant star. First one was recorded with Shinkai Makoto himself and another version with voice actors Suzuku Chihiro and Muto Sumi.

You must watch "Byousoku 5CM" which is his latest.

Here is an awesome preview you should see:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tqTfXxOutuA
ShimizuKyoko

Postby Slaigar » December 20th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Thank you for the heads up, Shimizu. I will definitely check that one out.
Slaigar

Postby shawn » December 21st, 2007, 7:05 am

Thanks for the explanation there on the voice actors, Shimizu. When I dlded an .mkv files, there were 2 audio files for it and was scratcing my head trying to differentiate between the two(which is impossible for someone who don't speak any Japanese), one was a younger-ish and the other a more mature voice actor & actress.

That youtube preview for the new movie looks pretty good too. Cheers. :cake:
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Location: Latitude 50° 48' 5'' North Longitude 1° 4' 35'' West

Postby BennyFuentes » December 23rd, 2007, 3:21 am

I remember when I first watched those two movies a while back, Voices is my favorite so far, the tragic ending, amazing. What I loved about the bundle edition was the OST from Voices, being Letter from Mikako my favorite track.

I recently watched 5 cms per second, it´s like watching a moving artbook, the backgrounds are fantasticaly painted, the music is amazing, and the ending theme will make you cut your veins, the story is fantastic, too.

Makoto Shinkai is amazing !
BennyFuentes

Postby ShimizuKyoko » December 23rd, 2007, 5:17 am

Byousoku 5cm is definitely one of my favorite movies this year along with Toki o kakeru shoujo.

If you like Shinkai Makoto, then check this out.

Wind -a breath of heart- PS2 Intro by Shinkai Makoto.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H_sCYiJjc7s
ShimizuKyoko

Postby Slaigar » December 29th, 2007, 3:11 pm

I finished Byousoku 5cm and it was just beautiful. Frame by frame, it was captivating. That will be the last sad movie I will watch for awhile. :uun: Why can't those who are in love be happy together?
Slaigar

Postby ShimizuKyoko » December 29th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Slaigar wrote:I finished Byousoku 5cm and it was just beautiful. Frame by frame, it was captivating. That will be the last sad movie I will watch for awhile. :uun: Why can't those who are in love be happy together?

I don't think the ending was sad. Just realistic.

So many good movies came out on DVD in 2007.
I think you should watch these movies:

Toki wo kakeru shoujo (awarded best anime film, I even read the novel.)
Brave Story
Gedo Senki
Giniro no kami no agito(2006 release but worth watching)
ShimizuKyoko

Postby BennyFuentes » January 3rd, 2008, 5:13 pm

Slaigar wrote:I finished Byousoku 5cm and it was just beautiful. Frame by frame, it was captivating. That will be the last sad movie I will watch for awhile. :uun: Why can't those who are in love be happy together?

Look for the music video of One more time, One more chance at youtube, it has a couple of deleted scenes and a happy alternate ending ;) (and it´s not fanmade, it´s an original production)
BennyFuentes

Postby shawn » February 6th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Had just watched 5cm/sec and a tear rolled down my cheek. *sniff* Just beautiful. Remind us all of what we were like when we were at that age. Sigh~~ ...what memories. By the way, I couldn't find that happy ending on youtube. Anyone got a link. I feel really sad I need a dose of happiness here. :cry3:
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Postby shawn » February 15th, 2008, 6:57 am

Oh, is that it? I've seen that one before but I don't get it. Isn't that when they were kids? So what does that got to do with the ending where I think they passed each other through the train tracks where he turns around and when the train clears, she wasn't there on the other side. :cry3:
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Postby BennyFuentes » February 15th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Spoiler:
the new ending is because of the lyrics of the song, one of the last lines say something like "if I were given a second chance I´ll spend my life with you", on the movie it´s clear that they separate at the train lines as kids, and the ending also hints that although they pass each other on the same place, the woman decided to move on, so does him. On the ending from the music video it´s stated that she waited for him when the trains passed, hence they stood together for a longer time, probably forever, making reference to the "second chance" idea, I guess that´s why the song is called One More Time, One More Chance.
BennyFuentes

Postby shawn » February 15th, 2008, 5:58 pm

:hu: Ahhh.... thanks for the explanation.
屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Postby shawn » December 13th, 2008, 8:50 am

After watching Byoukosou 5cm, I felt I died a little inside, so I didn't bother with the other two on this thread. But I somehow stumbled onto The Place Promised in Our Early Days on my HD last night and thought I'd take the weekend easy and watch it. It sure is beautiful film for a relaxing night in at the weekends.

Have anyone seen any other similar slow paced anime like those 3 mentioned here? I feel like a sad sad weepy cold weekend. Let me just go shove some popcorn in the microwave.

屁をひって尻窄め
shawn

Return to Anime