To Aru Majutsu no Index / To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

To Aru Majutsu no Index / To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Postby Firestorm ZERO » November 24th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Going to quickly summarize my thoughts on these series.

First of all, I watched Index first but only the first 3. What stopped me was the pace was going WAY too fast. I had no idea of all the terms that they keep spouting out. So I decided to stop watching it.

I then went to Railgun. And so far I'm loving it. Been following up the anime and the manga as well to get ahead. Why is it better? Because it is well paced and things get explained like the background of the setting and the characters. The whole Academy City, Espers' Levels, Judgement and Anti-skills didn't go over my head. Jokes were done well. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! And the current Arc "Level Upper" slowly builds up and I'm guessing will be 13 episodes long. The next arc "Sisters" will connect with Index and from reading the manga should be more detailed on the background.

So after watching 10 or so episodes of Railgun. I decided to go back to Index (re-watching the first 3 again as well). Still not good IMO. Here's why...

- Terms (espers, magicians, etc.) that don't get explained. Like you meet Misaka and she has physic powers but you also meet Stiyl who is magician. You see Kuroko puts her Judgement armband and I have no idea who is Judgement.
- Little to no background or character development. Development is like a single scene of long talking and dialog of explaination.
- Gags like Index biting is not executed well.
- Very short arcs. The first one was like 5 episodes. And then another for next one. I'm entering the Misaka arc right now.

BTW nice to see Uiharu and Saiten in the opening. So looks like it was planned to extend to Railgun since the beginning. Good thing they weren't prominent in the opening like Misaka and Kuroko which you won't meet until much later.

So looks like I am sticking with Railgun. Most likely will not finish watching Index. For those who never watched either, I suggest going with Railgun first.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Re: To Aru Majutsu no Index / To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Postby Slaigar » November 24th, 2009, 8:55 pm

I've read through Index, but haven't watched the anime. I was a bit disappointed with it, so i never bothered reading through Railgun. I really wanted to see more Index. She's just so moe! But it's like she was ditched for the Sisters arc. I also didn't like the main protagonist, so finishing it was like a chore.

However, I am watching Railgun this season and it was better than I expected. I'm might go back and try to go through the manga again.

What is Uiharu's power? She doesn't do much except act as Intel for Judgment. I was expecting her to have some weird plant growing power.
Slaigar

Re: To Aru Majutsu no Index / To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Postby Arcturus » November 30th, 2009, 3:15 am

I liked Index, but haven't been able to finish it. Going to try an finish Index first, then go for Railgun. Glad to be hearing good things
about Railgun.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Return to Anime