The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2

Postby MrDisco » July 25th, 2009, 10:59 pm

I have S1 of this series on DVD and loved it, so I was thrilled to hear that an S2 will be airing. I was doing a little bit of reading and it seems there's some controversy brewing. Can someone give it to me in a Dummies fashion - what is this endless eight discussion all about?
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Re: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2

Postby Firestorm ZERO » July 26th, 2009, 1:41 am

Well do you watch Star Trek TNG? If so, do you know the episode "Cause and Effect"? That is basically it. The situation is they are stuck in a time loop. The episode repeats with feelings of deju vu (each episode only has slight differences).

The team only wanted it to loop for 2 episodes but I dunno who, decided to do (assuming it continues) 8 (yeah EIGHT) episodes in the time loop. In the light novels, this was only 30 pages from what I heard.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby MrDisco » July 26th, 2009, 2:09 am

ok so i've watched ep1 of s2 titled "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" but in the opening credits the subtitlers wrote 'this episode goes after The Boredom of Suzumiya making this ep8'. Where do the endless 8 eps fit in?

Also I thought I read there was a re-run of s1 and there were also some material that was inserted into s1? I think I"m greatly confused here.
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Firestorm ZERO » July 26th, 2009, 3:06 am

"Season 2" episodes takes place during certain times of season 1. So they re-aired Haruhi in the chronological order with the new episodes inserted in. According to the wiki, Endless Eight takes place after the remote island episode.

And since, it is being aired in chronological order that means until "Endless Eight" ends, you won't be seeing any "new" (in a sense) episodes.

You know what really sucks is, if they release the DVDs then two DVDs (assuming 4 episodes per dvd) will just be Endless Eight.
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Postby Endokun » July 28th, 2009, 9:17 pm

I don't know who decided this was a good idea but really, this is the first in all of anime history. I'd be much more interested if something different happened in each episode. In the novel, I'm pretty sure this chapter only took around 70 pages, but spanning over 8 episodes is ridiculous.
Endokun

Postby MrDisco » July 28th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Ok so I read the wiki entry and I think I got a better idea of what's going on. Does anyone know if the re-aired S1 eps were any different from the original broadcast?

When this comes on DVD/BR does that mean they're going to re-sell the S1 eps so that it fits in chrono order?
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Endokun » August 2nd, 2009, 9:45 pm

MrDisco wrote:Ok so I read the wiki entry and I think I got a better idea of what's going on. Does anyone know if the re-aired S1 eps were any different from the original broadcast?

When this comes on DVD/BR does that mean they're going to re-sell the S1 eps so that it fits in chrono order?

Right now, the S1 episodes mixed in are not in their original order but in chronological order instead along with the S2 episodes. There is nothing different with the S1 episodes, they're exactly the same as before. From what I hear so far, there are no plans to re-release the S1 episodes along with the S2 episodes (they might if they want to milk it).
Endokun

Postby Arcturus » August 8th, 2009, 3:33 pm

If you listen to all the message and image boards, the producers did the Endless EIght the way they did it, because they could knowing that the fans would buy it anyway in the end. One would almost think that the Haruhi producers seem to hate Haruhi fans, and this was their way of making fun of them.

From a western viewpoint this seems stupid and unfathomable, but perhaps from Japan it makes some sort of sense. Guess we will have to wait for the Japanese DVD sales for the final answer.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Return to Anime