Slice of Life / Shoujo / etc

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Slice of Life / Shoujo / etc

Postby Slaigar » July 5th, 2008, 6:54 am

It's been my theme for marathoning for the last week so I'll post what I've seen. I'll leave it to the wiki for summaries.

ARIA... don't need to say anything about this one anymore. Just here for the sake of completion.
Recommended? Of course!

Maria-sama ga Miteru aka Marimite - shoujo
1214838130882.jpg

Composed of: 1st season of thirteen episodes, 2nd Season (~Haru) of thirteen episodes, 3rd season of five OVAs
Plot? Yes, follows the Highschool life of Yumi at an all-girls Christian highschool.
Recommended? I love it so much that I marathoned the whole thing in two days. The series is adapted from a series of light novels and each episodes are dedicated to a chapter. There are a lot of characters and the only ones that get proper development are the 1st years. The seniors, even after they graduate, are held in the static view of being the older sisters that watch over everyone. Lots of drama within the entanglement of relationships between all the girls.

Manabi-Straight - slice of life/comedy
Plot? Yes.
Composed of: 1st Season of thirteen episodes, one OVA
Recommended: I had a hard time starting this one. I still liked it, but it is the lowest on my list. It did get better when the plot kicked in. Also, I liked the OVA more than the series.

Hidamari Sketch - slice of life/comedy
1205426856936.jpg

Composed of: 1st Season of thirteen episodes, two OVAs, 2nd Season airing now (Hidamari Sketch x365)
Plot? Nope (actually, there *might* be one for the x365). The episodes are not in chronological order for the 1st season, though it doesn't matter anyway.
Recommended? Yes! Be prepared to be overloaded with cuteness to the point where it hurts. The comedy in it is more of "it's so cute that it's funny". It's a very enjoyable series.

Candy Boy - slice of life / shoujo
Composed of: two 15minute OVAs so far. Still ongoing and have no idea for how long.
Plot? I really don't know yet if it is going anywhere. There are hints of future developments. But so far, no plot really and it is just about the life of twin-sisters.
Recommended? Yes. It is neither about candy or about boys. The relationship between the twin sisters is intimate (wincest! haha- actually nothing explicit) but it is rather cute. I enjoyed it and I wished the released between OVAs were quicker.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
girlwholeaptthroughtimeheader-1ildahq9.jpg

Composed of: its a movie!
Plot? Yes
Recommended? YES! I can't believe I ignored this title for so long. It's has to be one of the best movies I watched for a long time. It's funny, captivating, and even tear-jerking. The relationships between the characters just feel so real and believable.
Slaigar

Re: Slice of Life / Shoujo / etc

Postby cbeley » July 6th, 2008, 4:47 am

Hmmm, for some reason Maria-sama ga Miteru never really appealed to me, HOWEVER, I did watch through the first and second season...but....it took me weeks (when usually I'll get through an average-sized series in a week or two if I don't have too much going on). It's weird, because it takes a look for me not to like a series and I just don't remember liking it that much..I felt like I was forcing myself to get through it all because I have this thing about not completing a series.

Anyway, I don't remember it as bad, but not at the top of my list of series I like...

Aria....I love aria ...^^ Need to watch the third season though.

Manabi-Straight: I'm actually watching this right now and I am really liking it. In some ways it feels like a rip-off of lucky star, but I am still enjoying it a lot. However, i've been watching it for a few weeks now...but not because I find it boring. I've had a little addiction to Tales of the Abyss for the past two weeks (about ~50 hours in two weeks.....very close to finishing the game), so I've been more focused on that than manabi straight. I highly recomend this series to anyone who likes things like lucky star or slice of life. Cute characters and fun storyline.

Hidamari Sketch: -- I haven't heard of this one...I'll be to take a look.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: I REALLY liked this series. In fact, now that you reminded me of it, if it is out in the US now, I think I may just go ahead and buy it since it is something I would actually re watch and would like to support (though, quite frankly I'd rather just give my money directly to the producers >_>).

Oh, and speaking of slice of life/comedy, may I recommend Kodomo no omocho (I am probably spelling it wrong). It is one of my favorite series and I think I got through all 100+ episodes in two weeks or so. However, I warn you that the majority of subs for it absolutely stink (It helps if you understand a little japanese and if you actually know Japanese, which I do not, you'll probably like the series even more). As for buying it, you can buy a few of the first episodes, but the odds of it all being sold in the US seem to be slim to none...which is something of a shame because, as I already said, the subs (translation-wise...and video quality wise) are some of the worst I've ever seen (there were some blatant translation issues and I'm sure there were a ton more that I didn't recognize due to me not really knowing the language).

EDIT: I remembered something interesting about maria-sama. In the first season I think there is only one episode where a male appears in the show....and..it is rather brief. This changes somewhat dramatically in the second seasons (as in...just a few extra appearances). Just a little tid-bit I thought I would add...
Wooo~ Signature goes here! 42~
cbeley

Postby Slaigar » July 6th, 2008, 5:27 am

You haven't watched the Origination yet?!? I cried buckets in the last 3 episodes. Savor it when you get to it, because there is no more :kuruc: .

Marimite: Haha, yeah the males pretty much don't exist in the first season. Yumi's brother and the Sachiko's cousin were the only ones that got screen time. Doesn't matter though, they aren't the ones I'm interested in, haha. I'm pretty hooked on the series and I'll be checking out the light novels when I can. Patiently waiting for season 4... *twiddles thumbs*

Manabi-Straight: You'll like the OVA :aka: . Momo gets more screentime in it too.

Tales of the Abyss..... good god... that game stole a good portion of my life. I went through it six times (240 Hours!!!!!). I didn't get all the titles or fill out collectors book thingy but went through Unknown four times and got all the costumes, cores and skills. Guy has to be my favourite character and was my main character for battle. With his insane speed, comboing is so much easier. Luke was my most neglected character and kept him out of battle most of the time.
Whenever Tales of Symphonia 2 comes out, I'm pretty sure I'll be devoting my time to it.

Kodomo no Omacha: I'll be sure to check that one. Thanks for the recommendation.
Slaigar

Postby cbeley » July 6th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Tales of the Abyss..... good god... that game stole a good portion of my life. I went through it six times (240 Hours!!!!!). I didn't get all the titles or fill out collectors book thingy but went through Unknown four times and got all the costumes, cores and skills. Guy has to be my favourite character and was my main character for battle. With his insane speed, comboing is so much easier. Luke was my most neglected character and kept him out of battle most of the time.
Whenever Tales of Symphonia 2 comes out, I'm pretty sure I'll be devoting my time to it.

Wow! six times?! Maybe years from now I'll re-play it (considering the rate at which good RPG's come out seems rather slow :S), but gennerally I just play through RPG's and generally dont' care about getting everything (though, I sometimes look up some of the bettter extras to do...the spa in abyss was pretty funny, as well as the skits after battle when you where them on each character). What I love is the storyline...though, I am quite fond of the battle-system in abyss also.

Luke is my main character and has the highest level :S Though...that's more because he was there first and who I started using first. As for my favorite character, I like Jade. I love his sarcastic attitude :-P
Wooo~ Signature goes here! 42~
cbeley

Return to Anime