Macross Frontier

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Macross Frontier

Postby Syn13 » July 7th, 2008, 5:03 am

Well the last Macross series I watched was Macross Plus totally missed out on 7 because it didn't really appeal to me but from what I've watched from Frontier, its got a good mix of everything in it.
If you haven't watched it heres a short summery of what to expect:
-Traditional love triangle
-3D mecha fights
-Overall good quality in animation
-Intriguing plot that links up to Macross & Zero
-TOTAL MOE~ character Ranka
-Giant ladies & Gentlemen
-MUSIC & killer soundtrack

Overall for a mecha fan and a subpar Macross fan, its been turning out pretty well, I have a tendency to drop series because of lack of interest and time but this has been a catchy one.
Syn13

Re: Macross Frontier

Postby Slaigar » July 7th, 2008, 8:34 am

I'm liking it so far. Macross Plus was the only one I've seen and I liked that one a lot. The space battles for Frontier are just "wow". It's an incredible display of lasers and explosions that just blow my mind. The budget for this anime must be enough to by a small a country.

Everyone's guessing whether its going to be a Ranka or Sheryl end. I'm rooting for a Ranka end! Sheryl doesn't deserve to be happy.

As you said already, the soundtrack is amazing. The reason why I started watching Frontier was because Yoko Kanno was doing the OST (I love the Stand Alone Complex OSTs so much).
Slaigar

Postby Syn13 » July 7th, 2008, 9:04 am

Probably the biggest downfall is it's sorta predictable love triangle ending, saw it coming in the first one, Macross Plus and I'm assuming Zero did the same. They always start with the perfect hot girl but later the lesser one comes out more popular, this is happening to me Frontier. I didn't really like Ranka as much but as more episodes pass, she's get much likable and Sheryl gets toned down. I would be blown away if Ranka doesn't end up with Alto, also M+ was a no brainer.
Syn13

Postby Arcturus » July 11th, 2008, 1:26 am

I've only seen the first episode. I really liked it. Hope it continues to be good.

By chance did anyone see the other Macross title, Robotech the Shadow Chronicles. Wondering if it is worth shelling out the money for it?
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby Syn13 » July 11th, 2008, 9:25 am

I'm not really sure, it seems that there are a difference of opinion to even the most hardcore of fans from different boards and 4chan haha~
Personally the idea of Protoculture being an energy source is rather silly unlike Macross' definition which is the unity of man and women. That and the whole hack job for the "Robotech Masters" for I think 3 series? To be honest the Valkyries(that startedfrom Zero to the current MF models) > Alpha fighters. I saw parts of Shadow Chronicles and it didn't look bad at all, anime scenes and CG fight scenes.

What I've watched so far:
-Bits of Robotech and Macross(when i was young).
-Macross: Do You Remember Love? - Overall retelling of the TV series, cuts lotsa stuff but in return we get awesome thing as well.
-Macross II - The movie that was soon set in another Universe, I don't know why, I loved it when I watched it when I was young.
-Macross Plus OAV & Movie - Again the movie was a retelling but instead of losing scenes, more scenes were added. This one includes some of the most beautiful Valkyries in the Macross Universe.

I missed out on Flash Back 2021 and the Macross 7 stuff(TV, OAV and Movies I believe), I didn't like the idea of changing the look of the YF-19 plus the quality wasn't that great.
Other series in the Robotech timeline are Southern Cross and Mospeada I think(I remember it was a 3 part story).
Syn13

Postby Shinobi2u » July 11th, 2008, 9:41 am

I agree with Syn. Excellent choice. I pretty much missed out of all the other Macross stuff. The intro is spectacular and I've never been this pleased with all of the music in the anime thus far. It really is great.

Oh btw, Sheryl Nome ftw. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Click on signature to visit site
Shinobi2u

Postby Arcturus » July 12th, 2008, 1:42 am

I watched the original Harmony Gold VHS tape of Robotech, then sadly the chop job of Family Home Entertainment's version of Robotech. Got the LaserDisc of the Japanese "Macross, Do You Remember Love". Watched the various episodes of Robotech on TV.

Then, Macross 7 came out and I cringed in horror.

Thankfully, that was followed up by Macross Plus. Great sounds and animation.

Looks like Macross Frontier will follow in Macross Plus' stride.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby Syn13 » July 14th, 2008, 4:38 am

I dunno, I heard M7 was pretty good. I just didn't like how the protagonists were fighters, animation quality wasn't that great, the valkyries didn't look good, Millia's character was odd but I heard she kicked ass when she went into battle with Max but yea, overall the cons outweigh the pros for me.
Syn13

Postby MrDisco » July 25th, 2009, 8:37 pm

i finally got around to watching Macross Zero and Macross Frontier. While it's not necessary, it does hlelp to watch Zero before watching Frontier to make sense of one of the episodes.

I did not like Frontier. It ripped off too many parts from Macross in an attempt to be cute, the story was nonsensical, and they kept playing that one song over and over and over again. While the animation was pretty good, its use of over saturated colours took away from the drama.

If this was any other franchise the show would have been another one to toss in the bin. Using the Macross brand demands a better effort from the writers. By comparison Macross Plus and even Zero were better efforts. It would have been much more interesting to see a bigger tie-in between Zero and Frontier rather than come up with this Invid-like story line (Robotech fans will get the reference).
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Arcturus » August 8th, 2009, 3:45 pm

I still have to finish watching Macross Frontier.

It is a pity that Robotech will forever keep the Macross franchise from being seen commercially here in the West.

Though I grew up with Robotech, and it will always have a favored spot with me. That being said, what do you all think about the Shadow Chronicles. I haven't seen any of them. The cover art really didn't appeal to me, so I have been hesitating buying any of the dvd's.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby Susano » August 9th, 2009, 3:57 pm

I haven't watched the Shadow Chronicles, but my roommate did. He seemed to enjoy the movie, but not enough to pay money for the BR releases of it.
Susano

Return to Anime