How popular are anime on BDs?

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

How popular are anime on BDs?

Postby Syn13 » May 29th, 2009, 5:25 am

All I know is Blu-Ray discs are HUGE! HD-DVD is pretty much dead and all that is left aside from BDs are DVDs. So anyone know when Anime on Blu-Ray discs will boom in North America? I was thinking that if I were to start a anime collection, it would be on BDs since I totally skipped the DVD generation so there's not much that I'm given up.

BTW, moving into a bigger room so that leaves me to put another Detolf that I just bought today for $30 in it as well as a movie/game rack...and possibly replace my manga/DVD shelf for a bigger one~

I wouldn't mind paying the same price for a series on one disc or more rather than 9 discs or more for certain anime series but hoping that they would be some cool extras!
Syn13

Re: How popular are anime on BDs?

Postby Onegai » May 29th, 2009, 5:56 am

I see Blu-Ray discs taking up more and more shelf space on retail shelfs. It's really encouraging to see some GOOD films on the format as opposed to the same lame blockbusters.... I think Blu-Ray is a little slow to start here (of course that excludes the Home theatre/Videophiles crowd) since Blu-Ray discs and the players are still quite expensive unless you own a PS3.

I don't really see a point in anime on Blu-Ray (from a quality perspective) but will change due to the inevitable format change. Sure the resolution is higher etc, but the difference isn't as marked as in Live action film.
So far only Blu-Ray anime I can see here are Tekkon Kinreet and Paprika.

As for my collection of DVDs? Well I'll only buy Blu-Ray version of something I already have on DVD for my absolute favourites.

Oh and of course Star Wars OT! 8) :lol:
Onegai

Postby Syn13 » May 29th, 2009, 7:30 am

That's one confusion I get. I believe Pixar movies are the best examples to be used here but not sure if its relate-able to anime but Cars(one of Pixar's more sub par movies) and Wall-e was just amazing in Blu-Ray compared to their Digital versions but then again, I was watching them on a 50" HD TV with 1080p lol. I guess aside from the quality, anime on BD will probably be released faster or late since it would be a certain waste to not fill a BD up to it's maximum capacity...

I've heard Akira was a must get for Blu-Ray for some reason, I've watched Tekkon Kinreet on DVD and it was a surprisingly really good film and finding that Studio 4 degrees was behind the movie sealed the deal! I think the earliest BD I will buy is possibly the Gunbuster vs Diebuster: The Gettai movie pack, three BDs(one for each movie and an extras disc).

Kinda OT but I will be buying the Gurren Lagann movies and Star Trek(2009) movie when they come out on BD. Funny thing is that I'm not a "Trekkie" and have never watched a full Star Trek episode of any generation, I've only seen parodies of it on TV(which are surprisingly very useful for the movie and references to the characters...I've always thought the Kobayashi-Maru test was some kind of hand-to-hand combat test lol).

Yes, my PS3 is my main source of a BD player, one thing I hate about it is the Blue Tooth BD remote! It takes a bit to get used to for the button placement but the thing that bothers me is if your PS3 is on standby mode(or was it sleep mode? either way, if its off) and if you press any buttons on the remote, the PS3 will turn on. This happened to me several times during the nights where I've been trying to get some sleep and kinda sucks since I don't have a night table thingy beside my bed...
Syn13

Postby Onegai » May 30th, 2009, 4:13 am

I'm the same as you with regards to Star Trek. I only caught the tail end of Star Trek The Next Generation, so for me my first impressions of ST were Picard, La Forge, Worf and Data as opposed to real "Trekkies" Kirk, Spock and Bones.

I guess the movie has done its job if I am more interested in Star Trek than I was before (haha).
Onegai

Postby Susano » May 30th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Well, in Japan, BD anime titles are some of the top selling BD disks they've released. Sadly, the US is still pretty behind as far as anime releases on BD. The Advent Children Complete BD release will likely be one of the top BD releases in the US (it's already a top seller in Japan even though the quality of it was somewhat questionable. The new scenes were rendered using higher quality HD while the old portions were not. It's noticeable, but not too badly on smaller screens.)

So far, Funimation has been the primary anime licensing house to put BD anime on the store shelves. But even they are slow to put brand new releases out in BD first. They've already released Seven Samurai on BD and have several other of their older titles planned for BD release, including Gunslinger Girls and the FMA movie. Otherwise, the only other company doing BD releases is Bandai. They put out Akira (was way too expensive for me to double dip on the movie yet again) and will be releasing Sword of the Stranger in June. It's going to take a while before we see any significant amounts of BD releases given the state of the economy.

Yes, my PS3 is my main source of a BD player, one thing I hate about it is the Blue Tooth BD remote! It takes a bit to get used to for the button placement but the thing that bothers me is if your PS3 is on standby mode(or was it sleep mode? either way, if its off) and if you press any buttons on the remote, the PS3 will turn on. This happened to me several times during the nights where I've been trying to get some sleep and kinda sucks since I don't have a night table thingy beside my bed...

Actually, this has a very simple solution. Just hook your PS3 (and any other electronic equipment other than your cable modem/ routers) to a surge protector that has an off switch. Turn it off when not in use and you won't have to worry about setting the PS3 off by accident (our cat did that in the middle of the night on multiple occasions.) It solves your problem of turning it on, protects the equipment when in use, and will save a good chunk of money on your electricity bill (the PS3 uses just as much energy when being used as it does when turned off.)
Susano

Postby kidrobot » May 31st, 2009, 5:44 pm

I don't have any anime on BD at the moment but I do plan on getting Gunbuster VS Diebuster soon!
Robots will soon take over the world!
kidrobot

Postby Onegai » June 2nd, 2009, 9:05 am

Technically I have one if you count the Street Fighter IV LE movie.
Onegai

Postby Syn13 » July 3rd, 2009, 11:23 pm

Got my problem solved with the stupid BT remote, just placed it high enough where neither me or one of my 3 cats will get to it when sleeping lol.
How are the anime being release in Japan, I think it'd be really bad split them like DVDs considering that Blu Ray have such high capacity. Either that or wait for the complete series in 1 disc.
I believe Gurren Lagann is 3 dual Layer dvds making it 54 gb of capacity. If they up'd the quality significantly + extras, I would mind 2 discs for Blu Ray.
Syn13

Postby Susano » July 5th, 2009, 3:33 am

It depends on the series. Most of them are still being released in Japan similarly to their DVD releases. Queen's Blade is coming out with two episodes per disc and Fullmetal Alchemist will be four episodes per disk. You can cram tons of episodes on a BD disk, but as you add more, you're going to loose quality either with the video or the sound (especially if there's more than one soundtrack.) So far all of my JP disks have had much higher quality than the average disk I've seen put out in the US. Queen's Blade just blew my socks right off there was so much detail visible in the BD release. I've not purchased any doubles so far (that won't happen until Funimation gets FMA out) so I cannot compare them side by side. But as far as I've seen, there's only been a few rare instances where the JP release had poorer video quality to the US release. But having such few episodes per disk does make a series take up far too much space.
Susano

Postby Syn13 » July 5th, 2009, 8:46 am

I certainly hope that 2 episodes aren't 24GB each~
Hopefully there will be some epic titles I am looking for soon. No idea what I am looking for but I should probably get FFIVII: Advent Child Complete Blu Ray for now...or maybe I should go half with my friend since I downloaded FFVII from PSN and I gave him one of my free downloads(5 downloads per user). It was a part of gaming history he missed but catching up quick(last I heard, hes at the end)
Syn13

Postby Onegai » July 5th, 2009, 8:58 am

If they put some decent titles out on BR I'll bite, otherwise not. So far I'm eying live action titles only and those newly released on BR (i.e. they never had a DVD release).
Onegai

Postby Syn13 » July 5th, 2009, 11:10 pm

I guess there's just that bump before anime BD gets huge in North America. There are alot of BD movies being release and its kinda funny seeing HDDVD in the $5 bin in HMV.
Did a debate about BD vs HDDVD in my last Computer course, we came out winning on the side of Blu Ray(two years ago)
Syn13

Postby Onegai » July 6th, 2009, 10:30 am

It's interesting. Historically speaking the inferior format has usually won out over the better but usually more expensive to produce competing format.

Something must have clicked with consumers this time around, either that or the huge support it recieved from the industry.

Nah it's definitely the latter. :lol:
Onegai

Postby jkno » July 8th, 2009, 8:14 am

I'm waiting, no Blu Ray for me yet. Maybe next year after moving to the new house I might consider a Blu Ray player but till then pass.

Onegai wrote:
As for my collection of DVDs? Well I'll only buy Blu-Ray version of something I already have on DVD for my absolute favourites.

Oh and of course Star Wars OT! 8) :lol:

Even if Lucas introduces Jar Jar's father in OT? :lol: :mrgreen:
"Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away"

My collection
jkno

Postby MrDisco » September 26th, 2009, 6:02 pm

I noticed the following titles listed on Amazon for pre-order:

Samurai Champloo: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 [Blu-ray]
Burst Angel: The Complete Collection (includes OVA) [Blu-ray]
Gunslinger Girl: Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid Box Set [Blu-ray] (where's the first season?)

I have to admit I'm tempted to get these :| Is anyone else going to double-dip or start buying anime on BR as they come out?
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Next

Return to Anime