Censorship

All about anime

Moderators: MrDisco, H-Gurl

Censorship

Postby Firestorm ZERO » November 3rd, 2008, 2:24 am

Here is an article I saw on dannychoo's member news. Haven't fully read it but skimmed through the pictures.

http://actar.wordpress.com/2008/11/01/c ... d-to-know/

And here's a PV of Macademi WAsshoi actually highlighting the TV and DVD release differences (warning contains boobies ;)).
http://www.macademi.tv/pv/swf/081031mukidashi.swf

Just wondering, why is there an increase of censorship in anime nowadays? Is it because to market the DVD/Blu-Ray releases better? Or are japanese getting more conservative?
Firestorm ZERO
UBER LEADER!

Re: Censorship

Postby BigPfeiffer » November 3rd, 2008, 1:48 pm

It's probably more due to the TV broadcasting corporations rather than the producers of the shows themselves. Anime in Japan does not seem to have quite the reputation it once did and for a company to bear that in mind does not surprise me. Certainly the shows seem to be more risque now than they were when I first started watching anime. I also don't really buy into the censoring tv shows to help boost dvd/bluray sales - that just honestly does not seem like a clever idea to me. Would not be the first non clever idea to be used though. ;) Censorship is not something I am a fan of and blatant censorship in anime just annoys. Like someone said as a comment on the macademi.tv article - DVD releases have often had animation redone though - that's not censorship to me. I remember seeing some of the super robot shows when I was younger, they were on the violent side and I was surprised to find out that they used to air just like that on Japanese tv. Perhaps now the sexual aspect of so many shows is less tolerable to the masses than excessive violence is/was? I know that as liberal a person as I am I still get a little uncomfortable seeing the loli stuff in pretty much any form.
BigPfeiffer
Site Sponser

Postby Susano » November 4th, 2008, 1:02 am

The covering of nipples and such may also be occurring so a show can air at an earlier TV block than they otherwise would be placed at. Generally, the covering isn't anything that drastic like what was done for the Whitchblade series, or it's even added as a gag like in Gun Sword and Air Gear. I really cannot say I blame the television corporations asking for things like nipples being covered, and the shows that do have such things done are still much more extreme than you would likely find in the US or Canada. I honestly wouldn't take it as extreme as censorship since you can still get the animation in the form the creatures originally made it (unlike what happens in the US when companies like CMX/ DC Comics get their hands on comics like Tenjo Tenge.)
Susano

Postby MrDisco » November 7th, 2008, 11:38 pm

I'll take a more cynical view (and this is just my own unsubstantiated opinion): money and piracy.

If they know their shows are being pirated online hours after they air in Japan, then releasing an unedited version on DVD/BR is an obvious way to hook in the fans to buy the real deal. I for one would surely pay for an unedited series vs being satisfied with a hacked up version.
Please join me on http://tinyurl.com/djegpo
Earned $115 in Amazon GCs -Join me and win too!
MrDisco
Humble Follower

Postby Arcturus » November 8th, 2008, 1:06 am

Too true and savy marketing.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, we have you at T-minus 4 mins and counting.
Shirow One to Tokyo Central we have a problem.
Tokyo Central to Shirow One, that is affirmative, have Shirow One on hold count.
Please stand by.
Arcturus

Postby ai-chan » November 8th, 2008, 5:20 am

If they know their shows are being pirated online hours after they air in Japan, then releasing an unedited version on DVD/BR is an obvious way to hook in the fans to buy the real deal. I for one would surely pay for an unedited series vs being satisfied with a hacked up version.

Never thought on those lines before. But yes, that's plausible.
ai-chan

Return to Anime